How did I save money today?

Discussion in 'Frugal Household tips' started by Tank-Girl, May 3, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 9, 2019 #331

snappy1

snappy1

snappy1

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

They sell dented cans, discontinued, close to expiration and expired groceries like Amish Heart said. I just keep a close eye on the condition and the dates on the packages.

2. Jan 9, 2019 #332

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

I always have to bring my reading glasses when I go in to the salvage stores. Went to our Kroger Store today and picked up Colgate toothpaste at 88 cents ea, 8 Boxes of Annies Mac and Cheese at $1 a box, coupons for all of them for 25 cents off. Chef Boy Ardee pasta at 75 cents a can, Progresso Soups at 99 cents a can, a case of black beans at 50 cents a can, 2 cases of green beans at 50 cents a can, and 25 lbs of chicken (thighs) at 77 cents a lb.

3. Jan 9, 2019 #333

timmie

timmie

timmie

local grocery had wings on sale for 1.49 a pound . I bought 2 verses paying 2.69 regular price. Going to walmart tomorrow for more sugar.

4. Jan 11, 2019 #334

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Neighbor Contributor

Local grocery store having 10 pound meat sale this week.
    10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters for $5.00/50 cents a pound.
    Picking up 10 pounds, worth it to me to split myself into 10 pounds of drumsticks,10 pounds of thighs.
    Will use Food saver to put into portions size for 1 or 2.
    Should have about 15 or 20 meals of each.
    10 pounds of bacon will cost $19.90/box.
    Have to look at ad again to see what the beef prices are.
    10 pounds of russet potatoes are $2.50 at Wal*Mart this week, will be picking up some.
    Seems weird now that we have small grocery store, after going without one for about 5 years.

snappy1, jimLE, Terri9630 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jan 11, 2019 #335

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Hey Mo, if you're doing brown rice in the dehydrator, tag it with these instructions when you're done:
    In a saucepan, put 1 cup dehydrated cooked brown rice and 3/4 cup cool water. Stir and soak 5 minutes.
    Bring to a boil for 2 minutes
    Remove from heat, cover, and let set for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.

Caribou, snappy1, Terri9630 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jan 11, 2019 #336

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

Thank you for the information.

7. Jan 12, 2019 #337

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

Update on grocery ad:
    If they cut the leg quarters up for you then it's 88 cents a pound.
    making it $8.80 for a 10 pound bag of thighs, drumsticks.
    For that $3.80 I could buy something else needed.
    Progresso soup comes to mind 18/19 ounces for 2 for $3.00.
    Pork bone in Sirloin Roast at $.99 a pound for 10 pounds will cost you approx. $9.90
    Pork Country style ribs are $1.39 per pound 10 pounds will cost you $13.90.
    Angus Beef Whole Eye of Rounds will cost you $3.49 per pound so for 10 pounds will cost you $34.90
    Same with Angus Beef Whole Sirloin Tips $3.49 per pound so 10 pounds will cost you $34.90.
    10 pounds of Corn dogs will cost you $10, Estelle and I like corn dogs, but 10 pounds worth is a little much.
    Kraft Mac and Cheese $1.00 a box
    Pork Butt Roast, Pork Butt Steaks , Pork Boneless Sirloin chops are all $1.99 per pound 10 pounds will cost you $19.90
    Quarter pound ground beef patties 10 per package will cost you $12.00
    2 pounds of Ah Tuna Steaks 2 pounds will cost you $12.99 each.
    Fresh Atlantic Salmon will cost $9.94 per pound.
    I just shop around for the best deal I can get for my money.
    What I spend on my meat bundle,($76.74) will take that amount and shop the meat sale too.
    Then will finish filling up my freezer.

8. Jan 12, 2019 #338

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Bought a few pounds of fresh skinless, boneless chicken breasts to use for sandwiches. It was on sale for 99 cents per pound. Today I'll bake, slice, and freeze most for later use.

9. Jan 12, 2019 #339

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

angie_nrs

Went shopping yesterday and got quite a few bargains. I'm not much of a shopper, but this is my favorite time of the year to pluck bargains. I bought a few things at WM for pennies on the dollar for future gifts. Among them were 4 big buddy insulated mugs at $2 each, toys (like fake dog poo and glow in the dark water toys) for $1 each, some bow tips for hubs at $1 per 6-pack, a backpack type of personal water carrier with hose for $5, Armor All 6-pk car cleaning kits for $5, knife and multitool kit for $5, 10 pk of glow in the dark bracelets for $1 for this summer (kids events/4th of July), thermal underwear for $3 each, BOGO free vitamines and supplements (not WM), and lots of clearanced clothes that will be gifts next Christmas.

The clothes are much cheaper now than on Black Friday........in fact, most things are, if they are still in stock. I'll have hubs and kids try them on and make sure they fit. If they don't, I'll return them. If they do, they'll still be surprised when they get them next year b/c they will have forgotten about them by them. LOL! At least they'll know they will like their clothes next year and they will fit! They know how I roll.... It's funny, I heard one kid tell the other last year...."if you tell mom you got her gift on sale or clearance, she'll like it even more!" Hahahahahaha. I wish I could say he was wrong.......but he's not! Full retail is not something I'm typically comfortable with, especially on something for myself. If I find something I like, I can almost always wait until it goes on sale. I bought myself one sweater on clearnace and also some Giardelli Peppermint squares for $2.09 per pack, which are wayyyy eheaper than usual. I LOVE those things, so I only bought 4 packages of them and ration them throughout the year since I know I can't purchase them again until November, which of coarse, I wouldn't do b/c they are FULL reatil at that time of year.:p

If anyone is going to WM for clearance sales in your area........here's a tip. Look for the yellow "clearance" balloons in the store. Most people just go into the garden center to look for the Christmas stuff which is now 90% off (BTW, great time to get wrapping paper, boxes, bags, decorations, ect), but EVERY department should have clearance stuff now. Many folks don't know to look for the yellow balloons in each section to find the best deals everywhere throughout the store. AND, check out the endcaps. I found those insulated mugs in the kitchen area. I'm sure they wouldn't have still been there if they were located somewhere where bargain shoppers normally look. Also, around here I have noticed that the clothes at WM are NOT at their best price yet. I think in 2-3 weeks, you will find much better deals on clothes there. My clothes bargains I did NOT find at WM, I found them at other stores including local farm stores. Although, I did find the thermal underwear at WM, so it's worth a peek and I know all WM stores are not the same in their bargain prices. Good luck bargain hunters!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. Jan 12, 2019 #340

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

I will be looking for snow shovel in the spring.
    Going to hitting stores in a couple of weeks for bargains.
    Have $50 allotted for Birthday and Christmas gifts for each son, daughter in law and Estelle for next year.
    So I shop for bargains all year.
    I don't buy Estelle clothes but I make her dolls quilts, knit her hats and little gloves.
    Because those things are made with love.
    This year I made crocheted fruits and vegetables.

11. Jan 12, 2019 #341

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957

Look in the middle of the aisle of dishes in housewares, when I was department manager of housewares that's where I placed some of my biggest markdown dishes.
    Also look on the gadget aisle, right after Christmas the modular will change for the new year. I would put all the clearance gadgets in the back 2 sections of the gadget aisle.
    January usually means white sale on sheets sets, blankets etc, so clearance will be on inside endcaps. And new merchandise will be on outside endcaps with fresh new items.
    Look for yellow flip flags they should be on just about every aisle throughout the stores and don't forget to look up too. Be sure to look on the bottom shelves too.
    Most people miss the best clearance stuff because they only look at eye level. Back in sporting goods look over by basketball goals for secret stash place for clearance items.
    Also along the back wall will be clearance items, picked up ankle weights there before Christmas for a $1.00 a set.
    January is big month for all those resolutions for exercise equipment, so check in March. Those are all the tips I can think of right now.

12. Jan 12, 2019 #342

snappy1

snappy1

snappy1

Got 1- 24 oz can and 4- 16 oz cans of Blue Runner Creamy Navy beans for free! From a friend I helped. Got 2 trial size Dial Body wash for free with coupon from Dollar General. Only paid the tax.

13. Jan 17, 2019 at 4:19 AM #343

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Good on you @angie_nrs for picking up all of the bargains :) .

angie_nrs and timmie like this.
  14. Jan 17, 2019 at 4:27 AM #344

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Here are the things I have saved money on recently -

- Listed 94 handmade items on eBay using a free listing promotion saving $155.10 over normal listing fees and they have free final auction value fees for free too if they sell.
    - Used my supermarkets rewards card to get 4c off per litre of fuel and filled 4 jerry cans worth and their fuel was already cheaper than most saving a total of $7.47 on usual prices.
    - Purchased a wire crimper stripper, 120 pce wire connector set, a grease gun, 2 toggle switches and a set of fencing pliers on eBay saving $168.88 over buying them in the local hardware and auto stores.
    - Did 2 orders for groceries using our discounted e-vouchers ($80 worth of free groceries) and coupled with specials saved in total $132.15. I think we are now stocked back up after not purchasing a lot of things before our move.
    - Made a large batch of chocolate brownie mix saving $18.13 over buying the equivalent amount in the shops.
    - Made a lemon cheesecake using cream cheese purchased on special at Christmas time, free lemon juice from lemons given to us, and our own homemade condensed milk saving $69.48 over buying one of the equivalent quality.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 6:16 AM
  15. Jan 17, 2019 at 9:06 AM #345

snappy1

snappy1

snappy1

Wow! Can't imagine paying almost $70 for a cheesecake! Or am I misunderstanding?

16. Jan 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM #346

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

@snappy1 no you are not misunderstanding as the snazzy cheesecake shops charge $40 for a cheesecake half the size of the one I make here for us, so this is the saving on buying 2 of their cheesecakes equivalent size to the one we make. You can buy (teensy) ones in the supermarkets for $10 ea ready made about a 1/4 to 1/6th of the size of the ones we make here too but you would not really want to read the ingredients list of how many artificial colours, flavours, emulsifiers and preservatives are in them.

Here is an example of the ingredients list on one ready made supermarket one -

Ingredients:Filling(56%)(Water, Milk Solids, SugarCream,Cream Cheese(10%)(Milk,Cream(from Milk) MilkSolids,Salt,Stabilisers(410,412),Starter Culture),Cream Cheese Powder(Cream and Milk Solids, Sugar,Emulsifier(471),Salt,Antioxidant(307b),Culture),Wheat Starch,Modified Tapioca Starch(1442),NaturalFlavour,Stabilisers(331,401,341),Acidity Regulator(330)).Base(25%)(Crumb(Wheat Flour,Palm Oil,Sugar,Wheat Bran,Glucose&Fructose Syrup,Raising Agents(503,500,341),Salt,Spice,Emulsifier(322 from Soy))Coconut Oil).Passionfruit Topping(18%)(Water,SugarPassionfruit Pulp(16%),Thickener(1442 from Maize),Acidity Regulator(330),Stabiliser(415),Preservati-ves(202,224),Natural Flavour,Antioxidant(300),Natural Colours(100,160c)).Contains: Gluten, Milk,Soybeans,Sulphites. May be present: Egg, Peanuts,Sesame Seeds, Tree Nuts and Lupin.

It is enough to preserve us all into next century and beyond.

angie_nrs, Angie, Dani and 6 others like this.
  17. Jan 19, 2019 at 7:45 AM #347

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Today and yesterday we saved money by -

- Making our own 2.2kg chicken, corn and mushroom pie including the pastry from tinned corn & mushrooms and the meat from the cooked chickens we purchased at Christmas time on half price special that we froze. This saved us $36.15 over purchasing it premade in the shops.
    - Made a 1.02 kg batch of chocolate fudge from our homemade condensed milk, cooking chocolate and vanilla extract saving $55.67 over purchasing the equivalent amount in the shops.