How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some money today.
Had to pay someone to take me to KCVA today.
But I rather pay someone to take me than me having to pull over every so often to throw my guts up.
Best $25 I ever spent having someone else do the driving in KCMO.
Got full refrig freezer, pantry so hopefully will won't have to buy anything else for the next couple of weeks.
Got one to make 1 more payment on my larger meat bundle next month.
Then won't have to buy meat for 6 months or better.
Trying to stock up the freezer with fruit from u pick farms in the area.
Garden hasn't produced much yet.

Day 8 of not spending any money today.

We also saved about $200 today by asking a friend who was working next door if he could level some ground for us and put soil over the back fence to fill in ground near the creek. After offering to pay he said no that if fine just shout me a beer. The plan had been to shovel the soil and do it by hand and fill wheelbarrows but now we don't have to do it. We instead will level the soil ourselves out the back with our homemade leveling tool or in other words a really thick wide hoe :) with the blade measuring 50 cm W x 20 cm H. Incidentally it is a fabulous tool for pulling manure off trailers with too.

Last edited:
Stopped at a yard sale on Friday. Bought a box of what I thought was just a few short pieces of pipe and angle iron. Paid a dollar. At home I emptied the box and found fifteen metal files on the bottom! I really did not need any more files but did find two that I might use. The rest I will put on the next yard sale we have.

Did our main 5 weekly grocery staples shop today and as usual they were low on tinned fruits and the like but we will be going to a larger town tomorrow as DH has an appointment there so we will pick up the remainder then.

I saved money by finding on special 5 x 500 g packets of peas corn and capsicum, tinned corn kernels and fresh kiwi fruit, mandarins and bananas saving $11.68 on usual prices. Wish we had specials on staples like you all get in the united States

I saved $26.55 today at the grocery store between coupons and BOGOs
And I now have 114 points on my store card so I can get .10 off /gallon of gas

Its funny I just bought some canned sweet peas and canned peas and carrots. Great minds think alike I guess lol
I use those when I make potpies

Day 2 of not spending any money today. Two days ago I paid an extra month's mortgage payment off out of a bonus pay I had saving both time and interest on our home loan. We have now been paying almost double mortgage payments since January when we got the loan and are still saving money as well.

@The Lazy L we all have to splurge every now and again as it does the heart good :), cream buns talk to me sometimes as does chocolate .

I don't think you can ever have enough tools @The Innkeeper. We build them up gradually here as we have a job we need to do and the most recent addition was a pair of netting clip pliers which we will use for multiple jobs around here.
My wife has finally come around to understanding that while you can often make do, having the right tool for the right job makes life a whole lot easier. That has helped reduce friction over tools a lot

It does @The Innkeeper and strangely it is me that shows DH tools when I see them at a good price but he does ask for other tools he sees we might need for other jobs. I owned a wrecking yard / car sales site and service station so I completely see that having the right tool for each job saves time and usually skinned knuckles and or other injuries :) . I am considered strange by most female friends when I get excited about getting a new tool.

We also added oil pourers and more funnels to the tool shed as well.

I built a new flush lever for the toilet. The plastic one split and would lock up when you tried to flush. It cost me nothing to replace, just an old bolt, a piece of wire and a screw. A bit of time on the lathe to make it the right size, drilled and tapped the end, cut a dovetail slot in the head, and cut a cross slot in the threaded end. Placed the wire in the dovetail and hammered it in place. Then I drilled the old handle and installed it with a screw. It works well and will probably outlast the toilet.
No money spent and I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to do it.

Save
My wife has finally come around to understanding that while you can often make do, having the right tool for the right job makes life a whole lot easier. That has helped reduce friction over tools a lot

I still can't convince the wife that using a butter knife to pry the lid off cans, isn't using the right tool.

I just saved $149 on clothing by buying clearance items and using a promotional coupon from an online woman's clothing site that I use regularly (only came to $79). Everything I bought I will use either for everyday wear or for sleeping. Oh and I bought one pretty button down blouse to wear when I go somewhere. Its no fun shopping in a store when you're 6ft tall. Take my word for it. So much easier to honestly measure yourself and then buying online after checking their size charts. I love it lol

Save

I still can't convince the wife that using a butter knife to pry the lid off cans, isn't using the right tool.
Been there, but after more than 40 years together at least on this she is beginning to seething my way.

I just saved $149 on clothing by buying clearance items and using a promotional coupon from an online woman's clothing site that I use regularly (only came to $79). Everything I bought I will use either for everyday wear or for sleeping. Oh and I bought one pretty button down blouse to wear when I go somewhere. Its no fun shopping in a store when you're 6ft tall. Take my word for it. So much easier to honestly measure yourself and then buying online after checking their size charts. I love it lol
Honestly measure yourself ... you mean people do that ? No wonder things don’t fit me

@WVDragonlady I so relate as I am taller than the average woman too and love to shop online as well. When you are taller the t-shirts look like midriff tops and when you bend down the t-shirt is half way up your back, the dresses in most shops are mini even though they say they are long length, the sleeves on everything are 7/8th on me and not full length and the list goes on. Not to mention trying to find shoes to fit my bigger than usual feet. If I shop in stores I buy a few sizes larger so they are both the right length and sleeve size. I have found some favourite online stores I shop at regularly and know my size for good wear clothing and prefer sort of the 50's or retro dresses/skirts as they are a good length and they have a more demure cut around the cleavage area.

Good on you for getting clothing at a bargain price. DH knowing that I have trouble getting things to fit me lengthwise says if I find something that fits me buy as many as you want. He is fantastic in many ways like that. Likewise he having large shoulders and a big build if he sees clothing he wants I say the same thing.

It does @The Innkeeper and strangely it is me that shows DH tools when I see them at a good price but he does ask for other tools he sees we might need for other jobs. I owned a wrecking yard / car sales site and service station so I completely see that having the right tool for each job saves time and usually skinned knuckles and or other injuries :) . I am considered strange by most female friends when I get excited about getting a new tool.

We also added oil pourers and more funnels to the tool shed as well.
One year when I was single moming, I bought myself a table saw for Mother's Day.

I'm not 6' tall and I have recently began making some of my own clothes again. The clothes in most stores are plastic (polyester, acrylic, spandex etc). I think spandex should be against the law (just my opinion.). Anyways, when I make clothes for me, they fit and are good quality fabrics.

Also, I finally got my numbers run for June. We saved about $100-$150 on groceries. It's called, we've been so busy, I haven't had time to shop. We still spent quite a bit as we've been getting the mountain house ready for sale. Big prayers for the sale of it. Just listed it.

@WVDragonlady I so relate as I am taller than the average woman too and love to shop online as well. When you are taller the t-shirts look like midriff tops and when you bend down the t-shirt is half way up your back, the dresses in most shops are mini even though they say they are long length, the sleeves on everything are 7/8th on me and not full length and the list goes on. Not to mention trying to find shoes to fit my bigger than usual feet. If I shop in stores I buy a few sizes larger so they are both the right length and sleeve size. I have found some favourite online stores I shop at regularly and know my size for good wear clothing and prefer sort of the 50's or retro dresses/skirts as they are a good length and they have a more demure cut around the cleavage area.

Good on you for getting clothing at a bargain price. DH knowing that I have trouble getting things to fit me lengthwise says if I find something that fits me buy as many as you want. He is fantastic in many ways like that. Likewise he having large shoulders and a big build if he sees clothing he wants I say the same thing.

Oh I get the frustration believe me. I had to buy a man's white button down shirt because I could never find a woman's to fit correctly. They look the same ( just button on the opposite side) but its the fact that I had to buy the man's shirt.
And shoes....ugh. I wear men's boots because apparently women who have size 12 feet don't have wide feet either lol Depending on brand I can wear a man's size 10 1/2 wide. I honestly think that if I ever wanted high heels I'd have to shop where the transgender/drag queens shop for shoes.
Thank goodness I'm not heavy to go with the height, I'm just an Amazon lol

Latest posts

Back