How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gun diet????? Poor poor Sentry18!

I know. :(

She said, go buy a reasonable priced gun and then just be happy with what you have for the next 3 years. I am going to need to form a support group. I wonder if they make something like nicotine gum for firearms withdrawal? Maybe Hoppes #9 gum?

Well Sentry I'm guessing your local fun store is going to take a hit.

Hope your plans work out good for you all.

My monthly ammo budget and range fees are staying in tact, so they should survive. My gun buying has slowed way down in recent years already. Decided after I bought a couple guns that it turned out I already had (doh!) that perhaps it was getting to be addiction. The world's best addiction!

I am the chief financial officer in our family and I am harder on me then your wife is on you.
I don't like to tell my wife "NO" but I do tell her to watch her pennies at times. I have told her "NO" before but it was not something she thought through. We talk about finances but I keep a firm hand on our accounts so we are not in any danger - even if we had to replace the washer, freezer, refrigerator and an engine in one of the cars. We are well enough off that I only have to say "NO" to myself most of the time. I'm easy and used to saving for big purchases. If I were to find a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull for under $700 I would get it in a heartbeat after my wife would say "that's a great deal, I think you should get it." She always says that no matter what. I still discuss it with her though. Saturday afternoon I found 200 new 7mm x 57 Mauser cases for about half price and we talked. She didn't even hesitate. I bought them. I told her I am going to need primers and she asked, "how many?" and I told her about 5000. What will it cost was next and when I told her it was about $30 a thousand she said, "I think you should get them." I will and probably before I need them but not in the next month or so. I still have enough to do what I have planned. When she goes to the store to buy something she always comes home and tells me how much she saved. Occasionally I will ask if I can have half... she never knows if I expect her to give me money or I am just giving her a hard time. I love giving her a hard time! ;)

I am the chief financial officer in our family and I am harder on me then your wife is on you. I don't like to tell my wife "NO" but I do tell her to watch her pennies at times.

Well my wife loves to tell me no. But in all fairness I give far more than I take. I feel it is my duty to provide and I hate spending money on myself, even on guns. And I won't if the wife or any one of my kids needs something more than I do. Last summer I surrendered my entire gun savings account to send my two youngest daughters to private ballet classes ($$$) and to buy activity passes for the family. The year before I gave up most of it for put braces on a child.

I know. :(

She said, go buy a reasonable priced gun and then just be happy with what you have for the next 3 years. I am going to need to form a support group. I wonder if they make something like nicotine gum for firearms withdrawal? Maybe Hoppes #9 gum?

If you find such a group then hubby wants to join too. Hes not getting his unused leave check until the middle of Feb and won't get his first retirement check until March so I haven't let him buy anything since Nov.

If you find such a group then hubby wants to join too. Hes not getting his unused leave check until the middle of Feb and won't get his first retirement check until March so I haven't let him buy anything since Nov.

wife.jpg

Servitude doesn't suit me. My wife is the one who lives to serve. I'm not demanding or demeaning about it but I let her serve and get to hand out the discipline... THAT's the fun part1

Got to day 11 of not spending any money and then we went to a big town Tuesday and picked up some needed groceries from Aldi and I also purchased an e-gift card for some groceries as our local supermarket was having a $15 off $160 purchase promo. I purchased one gift card that was enough to order the groceries we needed and still have a smaller one with money still on it for incidentals and fresh fruit that we need to get from last month.

I also have a fuel gift card I purchased last month with a fair amount left on it too which should do us for this month and part of next month too.

Speaking of investments @The Lazy L we banked a fair bit into our 3 month living expenses account and are now back up to 24.22% of our goal after buying and having the air conditioners installed in the home. I pooled all the money we were under budget on in all budget categories and banked it :) .

Back to day 1 of not spending any money today.

@Sentry18 you are a good provider and I do similar and put money I have earned into things we need or things for DH most of the time (higher needs than I due to his injuries). I just don't let him know that I do it most of the time ;) . I also say no to things too that DH asks for but most of the time not if it is in the budget and he usually says we need x and is it in the budget or not as I do the finances. On the other side of things if I ask for something DH just says if you need x then just get what you need and if that means 10 then get them as he knows I rarely spend money on myself for anything.

We are also on a tighten the belts strategy as we are trying to save as much as we can for our 3 month emergency living expenses account which we will take up to 12 months after we have a few home maintenance projects done. I am also concerned as DH is going in for his operation for his brain aneurysm around April and I want to have backup savings there in case things go pear shaped.

@SheepDog we also discuss finances between both of us as well and find that is the best policy is to be open and honest with one another. We call them financial counseling meetings in our home.

Last edited:
No spend so far today.
Have to pay bills in the future.
I really don't like to shop for myself.
Before it was because I was huge.(26-28 plus sizes or bigger)
Now it's because I don't like what's out there for size 10-12.
But I still don't have a winter coat.
I have ill fitting jacket that makes me cold to wear it.
Might go window shopping on line to see if I can find a coat.
Yesterday going to VA, it was breezy in coat that was 4 sizes too big.
Couldn't get coat cinched up tight enough to hold body heat.

@Sentry18 you are a good provider and I do similar and put money I have earned into things we need or things for DH most of the time (higher needs than I due to his injuries). I just don't let him know that I do it most of the time ;) . I also say no to things too that DH asks for but most of the time not if it is in the budget and he usually says we need x and is it in the budget or not as I do the finances. On the other side of things if I ask for something DH just says if you need x then just get what you need and if that means 10 then get them as he knows I rarely spend money on myself for anything.

We are also on a tighten the belts strategy as we are trying to save as much as we can for our 3 month emergency living expenses account which we will take up to 12 months after we have a few home maintenance projects done. I am also concerned as DH is going in for his operation for his brain aneurysm around April and I want to have backup savings there in case things go pear shaped.

@SheepDog we also discuss finances between both of us as well and find that is the best policy is to be open and honest with one another. We call them financial counseling meetings in our home.
Keep us posted - will send up a prayer for hubby.

So are it was all said and done, weigh ups done and a reality check, I ended up buying a brand new whipper snipper.

*huge sigh*

Money was put aside for the electricity bill and the small debt owed to the good next door neighbor paid.
That left precious little for anything else.

Just as well I live small.

Next pension is free and clear because I sacrificed this one.

So are it was all said and done, weigh ups done and a reality check, I ended up buying a brand new whipper snipper.

*huge sigh*

Money was put aside for the electricity bill and the small debt owed to the good next door neighbor paid.
That left precious little for anything else.

Just as well I live small.

Next pension is free and clear because I sacrificed this one.
I too dislike power bills. Glad you got a new whipper snipper though- snipper isn't a word here. It keeps changing it to sniper. If you got a new one of those, I would be scared.

Thank you @LadyLocust I will keep you all updated on the date of DH's operation when we find out for sure. He will be operated on in a major town a fair way away from here so I will likely be offline for a while when that happens. Might take my laptop and charger just in case as likely I will be staying in motels for a few days to see he is okay.

@Tank-Girl I know about these added not expected expenses so at least you have it now and you can do what you need to do around the yard. We had a mass invasion of ants last week in the kitchen so spraying the home had completely slipped my mind until I saw them and the expense too. Oh well that is what the cash at home emergency kitty is all about all those incidentals and household appliance breakdowns we can pay for. Before it was the grey water pump that just stopped working as well.

Sprayer is coming back next Tuesday so I can pay him after he does a second spray of the copious amounts of huge ant nests in the yard and around the home. I will be glad when they are dispatched so we don't get bitten any more.

Last edited:
Thank you.

The man was incredible.
Over 60 confirmed kills to his credit. Shot in two separate incidents.
Multiple tours of the ME.
He came home to the US and became a licensed firearms trainer and a licensed armourer.
He also sub-contracted out to Triple Canopy where he was training a crew and engaging in patrols with BORTAC
when they came across and were killed by a truck bomb.

It's an occupational hazard and he knew the risks walking in.
It's the rest of us who have to deal with the fallout.

Thank you.

The man was incredible.
Over 60 confirmed kills to his credit. Shot in two separate incidents.
Multiple tours of the ME.
He came home to the US and became a licensed firearms trainer and a licensed armourer.
He also sub-contracted out to Triple Canopy where he was training a crew and engaging in patrols with BORTAC
when they came across and were killed by a truck bomb.

It's an occupational hazard and he knew the risks walking in.
It's the rest of us who have to deal with the fallout.
And there is almost always fallout.

Latest posts

Back