How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started reigning it in a little again. Not much we need in the way of food and we'll be getting our hog about the end of the month which should top us off in that dept. On the egg note, I just received a text from a friend in ND who said there were only 6 doz. eggs in the store today and they were $5.50/doz. I am blessed to get eggs from a friend with hens. I've dehydrated some as I get ahead a little so hopefully will have a reserve when they slack off. We like our eggs and can't have chickens here.
Made potato soup with some leftover ham last night - cheap and tasty!

Organic veggies - fresh or powdered are extremely expensive.
Unfortunately, regardless of what they tell you, powdered or even frozen greens lose their vital enzymes.
I found a way around this so I can juice, get the vital nutrients I need and keep my costs as low as possible because at the moment I am too weak to plant a garden.
Sprouting.

I found a source of organic sprouting seeds - red radish, red kale, broccoli, and alfalfa, and I'll be blending them into juices I make with organic green apple, carrots and beets.
I'll also add a greens powder mix that contains spirulina, barley grass, wheat grass and chlorella - basically it tastes like rotten swamp water.

I can't see the point in adding celery when it only tastes good in stews.

Organic veggies - fresh or powdered are extremely expensive.
Unfortunately, regardless of what they tell you, powdered or even frozen greens lose their vital enzymes.
I found a way around this so I can juice, get the vital nutrients I need and keep my costs as low as possible because at the moment I am too weak to plant a garden.
Sprouting.

I found a source of organic sprouting seeds - red radish, red kale, broccoli, and alfalfa, and I'll be blending them into juices I make with organic green apple, carrots and beets.
I'll also add a greens powder mix that contains spirulina, barley grass, wheat grass and chlorella - basically it tastes like rotten swamp water.

I can't see the point in adding celery when it only tastes good in stews.
Great ideas come from necessity!! That's a great idea!! Besides good nutrition, it will be good for you to have something to grow. I always felt "growing" is good for the soul!!

Removed items from my wish list on Amazon.
Bought most throughout the year on clearance prices.
Christmas is pretty much bought for 3 little girls and 1 boy for $75 total.
Also been making fake felt food for play kitchens.
Already had the felt, so sat here at night making foodstuff.
Typical store bought felt foodstuff ranges from $10 up to $50 for 35 pieces.
Me sitting in the recliner with white felt, left over yellow pieces to make eggs, Swiss cheese,egg noodles. bow tie pasta.
Cost just my time, bit of thread.

And just as I headed out the door...MORE F*KING RAIN! I don't leave my nest for days on end sometimes, but when I need out, I need out!

My hubs needed a couple of long sleeve shirts for church. I went by the resale store and found two. Even at 10$ each these were a great buy. Appear barely worn. Took them to laundry had them starched. He is thrilled. The shirts new are 59$ each. Besides what is the difference in new and used? One trip through washer.

I haven't been anywhere in two weeks, partly because husband is working locally and had done any ferrying to work/ college bus. I've bought a few bits online, some woolly jumpers, new with no tags on Vinted and had my groceries delivered, stocked up on echinacea at 3 for 2, and my barley drink which I got a discount of 20% on also. Other than that, no money spent. I've been looking at the bank account and there is a little trickle of money- all me- that I can cut back on so I've cancelled two subscriptions, which I had used for college, and another one which was about ten dollars a month for books. Going into the new year with a clean slate, hopefully.

Weren't me, but DW.
She took the GMC Acadia in to the dealer for service today :oops:.
(you know how expensive dealerships can be:mad:)
She had a bunch of coupons they had mailed us.:thumbs:
Got oil change with full synthetic, 27-point inspection, tires rotated and inflated, and a new 2-year state-inspection sticker ($20).
Her total bill after coupons.... $78.😍

Last edited:
I'm hosting a big New Year family dinner, as it's my daughter's 21st after Christmas. In the supermarket I spotted huge roast beef - €7 each- I normally don't buy supermarket meat because we have good local butchers but at that price, I was tempted. A lady nearby I vaguely recognised (she is fairly posh) said they were beautiful cuts, so I took a chance and bought two. Delighted with myself - 14 euro for what would be 100 if I was to buy that size otherwise. Fingers crossed it's ok :)

Wife wanted a full size spare tire, so we went to Pull-A-Part & got a rim & tire for $25.65.
Tire was in got shape, so it saved us $100.00.

So tomorrow is 2 weeks in. I'm doing my see how long I can go without spending thing again. So far I've spent $29.48 on groceries which sadly is maybe half dozen items, but all things considered isn't too bad for 2 weeks in the grocery dept. Have been eating from the pantry. That's all I've spent so far. Y'all might not really care, but me putting it here is sorta accountability on my end to help keep me going.
My record is about the middle of April. Last year I busted near the end of Feb. for my towel material. I was afraid the material I make them from would not be replaced. Glad I got it as one of my towels now has holes so I have a couple replacements and don't have to try to source it now. I've continually struggled between get it while it's available & save the money.

So tomorrow is 2 weeks in. I'm doing my see how long I can go without spending thing again. So far I've spent $29.48 on groceries which sadly is maybe half dozen items, but all things considered isn't too bad for 2 weeks in the grocery dept. Have been eating from the pantry. That's all I've spent so far. Y'all might not really care, but me putting it here is sorta accountability on my end to help keep me going.
My record is about the middle of April. Last year I busted near the end of Feb. for my towel material. I was afraid the material I make them from would not be replaced. Glad I got it as one of my towels now has holes so I have a couple replacements and don't have to try to source it now. I've continually struggled between get it while it's available & save the money.
We care because when you post it, it makes us all think about accountability!

Latest posts

Back