How Long until Christmas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 Days
1703102408446.png

Oops, forgot to post it...

December 19, 1843 - on this day Charles Dickens' “A Christmas Carol” was published.

“Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail. Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.”

“A Christmas Carol” Charles Dickens - 1843

dickens.jpeg

Oops, forgot to post it...

December 19, 1843 - on this day Charles Dickens' “A Christmas Carol” was published.

“Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail. Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.”

“A Christmas Carol” Charles Dickens - 1843

View attachment 121651
I watched a version of it tonight!

I wonder if a doorknob nail is the same. I'm missing one from the bathroom at our place. The door and hardware are 1908. So, have to be careful not to pull the whole doorknob out of the door.

I saw a lot of old knobs like that growing up. funny, most had an old nail holding it together after the pin wore out. Found this on the net... guess this expression has been around for a while..

What's the origin of the phrase 'As dead as a doornail'?

This expression is old - it has been in use since at least the 14th century. There's a reference to it in print in 1350, a translation by William Langland of the French poem Guillaume de Palerne:

"For but ich haue bote of mi bale I am ded as dorenayl."

The meaning and origin of the expression 'As dead as a doornail'. Langland also used the expression in the much more famous poem The vision of William concerning Piers Plowman, 1370-90:

Fey withouten fait is febelore þen nouȝt, And ded as a dore-nayl.
[Faith without works is feebler than nothing, and dead as a doornail.]

The expression was in widespread colloquial use in England by the 16th century, when Shakespeare gave these lines to the rebel leader Jack Cade in King Henry VI, Part 2, 1592:

Look on me well: I have eat no meat these five days; yet, come thou and thy five men, and if I do not leave you all as dead as a doornail, I pray God I may never eat grass more.

I think other than church tomorrow, I'm home until Tues.
I have to go see a client tomorrow, or I would be doing the same. I went out to get some of the food for Christmas dinner today and wanted to go to the grocery store to get some special foods. The parking lots were crazy full. I'll go early in the morning.

I know so many people absolutely LOVE Christmas time. I have worked the retail side for the last 25 years. It's been rough for the workers, so please keep that in mind when you are out shopping for gifts or even at the grocery stores. We, at least me, don't get to actually enjoy the holidays like others. My store is actually #1 in sells for our cheese shop. Yeah, we have been working our butts off. My Department was over $43,000 dollars just yesterday.

I have to go see a client tomorrow, or I would be doing the same. I went out to get some of the food for Christmas dinner today and wanted to go to the grocery store to get some special foods. The parking lots were crazy full. I'll go early in the morning.
I'd suggest as soon as the grocery store opens. Our parking lot was getting full after being open for an hour. We open at 6 am.

Yesterday I was surprised at how uncrowded it was. I stopped at TSC, a few people there, but just normal size crowds. Cigar shop had 4 guys sitting around smoking and BSing. Only one other guy shopping like me. Then Lowes, again pretty much just normal crowds. No real lines anywhere. I was glad. Got on home in decent time. Thankfully we don't have anything else we have to go to other than family stuff till after Christmas.

Yesterday I was surprised at how uncrowded it was. I stopped at TSC, a few people there, but just normal size crowds. Cigar shop had 4 guys sitting around smoking and BSing. Only one other guy shopping like me. Then Lowes, again pretty much just normal crowds. No real lines anywhere. I was glad. Got on home in decent time. Thankfully we don't have anything else we have to go to other than family stuff till after Christmas.
I think Mrs BP would prefer you didn’t shop for her at the cigar store and Lowes. Perhaps if you swing by the jewelry shop, there might be time to stay out of hot water 😂

I'll be glad when the holiday season is over, people go nuts at this time of year.
I breathe a great sigh of relief on January 2.
I think Mrs BP would prefer you didn’t shop for her at the cigar store and Lowes. Perhaps if you swing by the jewelry shop, there might be time to stay out of hot water 😂
We went to the jewelry store a couple days ago. I picked out a new ring. 🥰
I got hubby a drone but I won’t let him see it until Christmas morning.

About 13 hours now until ...Christmas Day...

Ready for a mini feast at home.. Baked ham with pineapple, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, fresh baked biscuits and Tetley tea..

Merry Christmas all..

I've had her stuff for a while now. We never wait till Christmas anyway. LOL.
I do have a small box with Jewelry she don't know about for tonight

It's about 3:20PM on Christmas Eve. It's about time for my wife's uncle, were he still with us, to start his shopping. Every year, he'd drag my MIL along to find gifts for his wife with literally minutes to spare. He never disappointed her and he always spent way too much. 🤪

It's about 3:20PM on Christmas Eve. It's about time for my wife's uncle, were he still with us, to start his shopping. Every year, he'd drag my MIL along to find gifts for his wife with literally minutes to spare. He never disappointed her and he always spent way too much. 🤪
Yes, today is the day that I will never go out on the road.
People are always amazed that yes, there are that many last-minute shoppers! :oops:.
Tomorrow, on the other hand, all the stores will be closed, and everybody will be gathering around their dining room table:thumbs:.
That will be the day we will hit the road to travel to Pigeon Forge to spend 4 days with 'the kids'. (long drive from here)
*Notice: If I am missing for a while, I did NOT have a stroke!!! gaah

Yes, today is the day that I will never go out on the road.
People are always amazed that yes, there are that many last-minute shoppers! :oops:.
Tomorrow, on the other hand, all the stores will be closed, and everybody will be gathering around their dining room table:thumbs:.
That will be the day we will hit the road to travel to Pigeon Forge to spend 4 days with 'the kids'. (long drive from here)
*Notice: If I am missing for a while, I did NOT have a stroke!!! gaah
Safe travels~
Road here were pretty sparce when I went to church.

Latest posts

Back