I am taking the plunge!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YUMMY!!! I love seafood and fresh fish. My grandparents were always eating seafood or fish. Grandpa always fishing anywhere. Like some of you maybe, he'd take trips just for fishing.
That's a big crab. And that second cut, is that a shark or swordfish? Big A shrimp!

That would be Swordfish. I had people asking for very large shrimp so I got them. I have never seen shrimp that size either. The crab is huge based on my experience catching them as a kid. Even then they had to measure 6 inches across the shell.

Looks like things are coming along nicely.
Yeah. Had a mishap with the generator at 7 pm on sunday. It still runs but quit making electricity. Called a buddy that had one and beat feet half way across the state to get it. All is well, it is quieter than the one I had and will run all day and then some on 6 gallons.

Last Thursday I picked up my first load of seafood. In 7 days I have sold about 4600 dollars worth of seafood. I have had some suprises with the demand for higher priced stuff. 16 to 20 oz lobster tails, started out with 10 pounds down to two. 8 ounce tails are down to two. Swordfish, halibut. Large shrimp all gone. Alligator is gone. 30 pounds of Dungeness crab is gone.

It has been an amazing trip this week. I am going to like this. I have dang near paid for the original load

Good for youy Cnsper!:clapping::great:

The final numbers are in. My first months gross sales was $17,484.10

Not bad for a redneck with a fishing pole...lol

Suprises sellers up here are

Dungeness Crab
Ahi Tuna
Alligator
Softshell Crab

These are the top 5 items by gross revenue.
20200804_162817.jpg

Only 3 pounds separate mahi and halibut by weight. These are my top two selling fish.

9 days into this month and I have already sold 41.5% of what I did all of last month.

Even added a new stop where it should not do well because it is a very poor area. It does better than many of the other stops that i have.

You cannot discount areas like this or small towns. Towns of 500 to 3000 in population seem to do better for me.

That is great news.
I wonder if it is due to the fact they are limited in the goods they can get in the smaller towns, just not much to choose from?
I believe that has a lot to do with it. But even some towns are only 30 minutes from a larger town. I think that I carry more variety though.

After starting I found out that there were 2 others doing the same thing.

Guy #1 has 2 types of salmon, 2 types of cod, 2 types of crab. Smoked salmon in a can and smoked cod. Sometimes he has shrimp.

Guy #2 has prefilled mixed boxes. Basically you have to buy what he has put together.

I have
2 sizes of scallops
2 sizes of lobster tails
4 sizes of shrimp
Alligator
Crawfish
14 choices of fish
Clams
Mussels
Oysters
3 types of crab

Guy #1 has already asked me to park somewhere else in one town because he has been there for 2 years and will be getting us confused.

Today was a great day. The best so far for sales. Prior to today the best day was about 100 miles down the road at $1400 in sales. Today I did $2775 in sales on my second trip to this town.

I have surpassed my sales for last month today also. It seems like this was the right idea for me.

The other two guys are giving discounts and working 6 days a week instead of 4 but my sales keep climbing. They focus on Alaska seafood but Alaska is not the only place with good seafood.

I added Frog legs and have sold 15 pounds in 4 days. I have also added smoked salmon and that moves well too.

Ended up getting 4 pounds of Monkfish, posted it on facebook page and had it spoken for within an hour.

All in all I am having fun.

I finally convinced my supplier to bring these in. Got so excited I almost wet myself.
20201015_090111.jpg

20201015_144830.jpg

Argentine Red Shrimp

The excitement is because they are on par or lower in price than farmed shrimp.

The wild gulf shrimp that I have are 16/20 size and sell for $19.99 a pound. These are 13/15 size and sell for $15.99 per pound.

I am really getting to enjoy this stuff. You always get your price shoppers and tire kickers but overall pretty good experience.

I don't even try to compete with the stores on price, I kick their ass on quality.

The final numbers are in. My first months gross sales was $17,484.10

Not bad for a redneck with a fishing pole...lol

Suprises sellers up here are

Dungeness Crab
Ahi Tuna
Alligator
Softshell Crab

These are the top 5 items by gross revenue.
View attachment 47710

Only 3 pounds separate mahi and halibut by weight. These are my top two selling fish.

As I mentioned in your original post about starting this business I loved meeting the shrimp boats coming in when I was peddling shrimp out of my van in Florida 30 yr ago, it was fun.:thumbs:

Now I have a question for you all. I am having a new a-frame sign made. I got these today as proofs.

My question is which one would you notice. This will be reflective material for night visibility.

Screenshot_20201030-115800_Drive.jpg

Now I have a question for you all. I am having a new a-frame sign made. I got these today as proofs.

My question is which one would you notice. This will be reflective material for night visibility.

View attachment 52654
Definitely the first 2.
The others look too much like kids cartoon characters.
Nobody wants to eat Nemo or Sebastion.

Definitely the first 2.
The others look too much like kids cartoon characters.
Nobody wants to eat Nemo or Sebastion.

I am having them make changes to the crab. I asked them to make the arrow size and position more like the lobster.

Latest posts

Back