I have issues with the "SURVIVAL GROUP" theory.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, thanks for being such good sports.
On rereading my post it does seem to sound a bit know-it-all ish yet no one has pushed back on me for it. :)

For the most part, you are actually correct....very small MAG's will likely be the best option. Isolationism is #1, but expensive, and not many have that kind of money (or that kind of property, for that matter).

I Have a MAG because I have like minded people around me. I am a Social Creature. Look around you. You came from a Family, a Group, That's how God made you. Grow Up.

When it comes to property ,money, work load . basic moral or social values and even simple brain information processing. getting a group of semi independent people who almost to a tee think they are the linchpin for the survival of the group getting the "team" to work together will be next to impossible. To survive perilous times the military has evolved its structure for a reason, It works.

I Have a MAG because I have like minded people around me. I am a Social Creature. Look around you. You came from a Family, a Group, That's how God made you. Grow Up.

After 45 years of dealing with the public I would be very happy to be alone on a deserted island for as long as my reading materials held out.

Last edited:
Three adult MAG.

168 hours per week / by 8 hours = 21 shifts per week

A person is assigned to one (8 hour) security shift per day, that same person would have 8 hours of finding/preparing food, relaxation, backup to the person on the security shift, communications, savaging, repairing, personal hygiene, scavenging, rebuilding, etc. and 8 hours to sleep.

Using the above stats the three people MAG could provide 24x7 security 7 days a week. Status quo can be maintained as long as no one is injured or sick. .

How alert do you think a security person would be after an extended period of time under this scenario?

8 Shift.JPG

Six adult MAG.

168 hours per week / by 4 hours = 42 shifts per week.

A person is assigned to one (4 hour) security shift per day. The same person would have 8 hours to find/plant harvest food, backup the person on the security shift (along with the other 2 persons not sleeping), communications, savaging, repairing, scavenging, rebuilding, etc., another 4 hours for personal free time (eating, relaxation, personal hygiene, etc. ) and 8 hours to sleep.

Work shifts have an overlap so there is always 2 persons working together as needed.

Security person awareness would be increased with the shorter shift. Instead of maintaining a Status quo there is now time to rebuild.

Add a 7th adult would permit rotating the shifts and provide for illness and injuries.

Shifts.JPG

Last edited:
With NO military experience, I still wonder if it is the time on watch duty or the repetition of the process. Do the guard lose awareness due to fatigue or because it is simply boring and the mind wanders? I will look for some military folks to respond and set me straight.

With NO military experience, I still wonder if it is the time on watch duty or the repetition of the process. Do the guard lose awareness due to fatigue or because it is simply boring and the mind wanders? I will look for some military folks to respond and set me straight.

Yes, however military guard shift is often an 18-19 year old who is already easily bored and who's mind already easily wanders. Plus they are there thinking about chasing girls on their weekend pass or that cool car their buddy just bought. Not a 30-60 something adult who is protecting his/her loved ones. Purpose drives alertness. I have been on protective surveillance details that lasted more than 12 hours. Because losing focus or falling asleep could very well have cost someone their life.

Several years back our church had some thefts from vehicles during the Sunday service. It was decided one of the Ushers would stay out of the service to keep an eye on the parking lot. It was my turn to stay out and watch.

I shut the sacuary doors as the service started. Then I sat down where through the windows I could watch the parking lot and the only drive into the church. I'm long legged so most chairs are too low to the floor, I end up sitting on my tail bone. Uncomfortable. So I slid my butt towards the edge of the chair, leaned back and stretched my legs out in front of me and got comfortable.

BAM!!!!! I woke up to see the Pastor pushing the main sanctuary doors open as he came though! I had slept the entire time! And I had only a 1 hour shift! The next time it was my turn, I didn't sit down!

I can imagine how a guard particularly in the early morning hours could have problems staying alert! And depending on the situation, walking to stay alert could reveal the guards location and get him/her killed.

Last edited:
Resto.....idiot? No...there are those, few in number, that would happily disappear from society forever. These are the "isolationists," and they are quite content with that.

My 6yrs in the Military I did a lot of guard duty. Yes it can be boring. My days in the Navy were not bad since I was on a ship. Not too far to walk for 4hrs. My time in the Army was way different. The base was very large so there was plenty things to be aware of and 4hrs flew by.

it depends on what country you live in and what part of that country you live in.
large groups may have plenty of members but they all need feeding and the larger the group the more the quantity of food will be required, on top of that a larger group will be spotted more easily, they make more noise and leave more tracks.
smaller groups or singles don't need so much food in quantity, make less noise in the case of singles probably no noise at all! and make less tracks to be spotted, plus they can be concealed more easily than a large group.
groups in the UK where I am will be family units and family only, a disaster is not the time to start trusting strangers.

Latest posts

Back