I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1679438421571.png

Is that fieldstone? Looks too small to be that.
I don't actually know. It does say it's in MI. I was actually looking for something else and that "found me." 😂 I love stone anyways and that would be a great use for fieldstone in farmland - especially back in the day.

They are mostly only found in the southern Appalachins. The open alley thru the middle was perfect for pulling a wagon load of hay or grain to get out of the weather before unloading it. Also the areas around the outside of the pens are great space for either working, several I've seen had shave horses under them. Also great for storing farm implements out of the weather, lumber to dry, many also have pre cut shingles to do repairs to the roof. And a good space to have animals out of the weather, but free to come and go.. Huge loft's as well for hay, grain, or lumber.

Plus I think they just look damn cool. Another feature, most of the frame and pens were built using Tulip Popular. While being a hardwood, they are very soft, and light, But if they contact the ground, or even get splatter from roof run off they will rot quickly. The large overhang totally prevents that.

I'll have to take a road trip or two around and get some other photos of other barns that are similar.

Back when I lived up in Minnesota I would often ride motorcycle down country roads and take pics of barns. I have about 100 pictures that I took of them.
View attachment 33684 View attachment 33685
The craftsmanship that went into these barns is mostly a lost art, the sheer beauty of what men could accomplish with the simplest of tools is amazing and with no computer, no power milling machines, do you know anyone who could do this as it was done then?

I am in awe of the sheer beauty of the lines.

A lot of tobacco barns were cantilever style barns or high stacked barns they had log poles that the tobacco was suspended from and the climbers hung it from the poles upside down to cure.

My Uncles Brother from Tuckahoe area had a couple of tobacco barns. I hate to post the pictures of most I see in the area falling down, it is disheartening to see the family farm lifestyle that fed and supported this country die with the last two generations.

In the spirit of the season 😍
View attachment 120974
Now that is a ETWNC still barn if there ever was one, firewood, corn, sugar and yeast storage in the lean to with cats and a little cat food. Dugout floor with a laid stone furnace sealed with mud and a vent-way and a chimney out. Put some rock in the vent-way to hold the fire and stop scorching.

Ah well long ago and simpler.

Now that is a ETWNC still barn if there ever was one, firewood, corn, sugar and yeast storage in the lean to with cats and a little cat food. Dugout floor with a laid stone furnace sealed with mud and a vent-way and a chimney out. Put some rock in the vent-way to hold the fire and stop scorching.

Ah well long ago and simpler.
I like that one too. It looks so usable and like it’s part of the family. Glad you are enjoying them 😍

Are you in touch with him? Did he have a run in with someone here? He wrote some great articles for https://survivalblog.com/
Nope and nope. I had reached out to him maybe about a year ago now. He didn't have any run-ins, "liked" pretty much all. He said he was trying to lessen his online footprint. At that time he was well :)

Latest posts

Back