I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1647537234997.jpg

Jim

@phideaux have you ever thought about creating a calendar of these barn photos? They are very evocative of another time and another place (one I'm sure we'd all like to go to).
Yeah, Jim, make a calendar. Shucks, peep it under the radar.. I'd be willing to fork over a buck ninety-eight and the top off my radio for a copy. Um, counting postage.

Y'all know I don't have time for another project...
I already have a calendar , packed away somewhere, of MUSCLE CARS.

I played many days in old barns like these.
Grampa, uncle's, neighbors had old barns ...I had a Red Ryder...I was king.

Jim
Old barns and I were not strangers . . . My BB gun was a bought-used Daisy lever action, but not a Red Ryder. It was a cheaper model, with most of the finish worn off; kind of a brown Ryder.

Old barns and I were not strangers . . . My BB gun was a bought-used Daisy lever action, but not a Red Ryder. It was a cheaper model, with most of the finish worn off; kind of a brown Ryder.
Your Daisy sounds like the one I had.
If there was a barn around i was in it. Visiting folks, family, didn't matter i had to get in the loft

@VThillman , we were so poor , that mama would give me a teacake for bringing home pigeons , she could clean and fry the breast and legs. Them old barns had plenty pigeons back in the day.

Jim
Them pigeons were everywhere. They nested in the cupola of our barn (and shat), and under bridges . . . I don't remember eating adult pigeons, but the squabs were popular, even if we weren't real poor.

Yeah the reason why the big barn collapsed was because fixing the roof was terrifying. My dad got up there once, in his 20s, when he was young and agile. By time he got back down off the roof he vowed he'd never go up there again. It stood about ten years longer than the small barn though which collapsed after heavy snowfall.

*sigh* I want another barn. My brother and I discuss it every now and again.

Yeah the reason why the big barn collapsed was because fixing the roof was terrifying. My dad got up there once, in his 20s, when he was young and agile. By time he got back down off the roof he vowed he'd never go up there again. It stood about ten years longer than the small barn though which collapsed after heavy snowfall.

*sigh* I want another barn. My brother and I discuss it every now and again.
Thinking on it . . . patching a gable roof, without the right equipment, would have scared the poop out of me too.

Thinking on it . . . patching a gable roof, without the right equipment, would have scared the poop out of me too.
I painted the roof of a grandpas barn once with a nasty thick oil based paint with just a rope to hang on to [and no didn't tie it around my neck]. Never wanted to do that again. Not worth the good money I made

@VThillman - Yeah and it was a fairly steep gable roof. I think all dad had was a roof. If I remember correctly, he said he wanted to barf his guts out. And we didn't have the money to get it professional fixed, so it just slowly rotted away.

I remember being in the barn as a little kid and there was a long rope hanging from the ceiling. It's been a while so I forget what they were called exactly / what we used them for, but there were huge forks in the pitch of the roof.

We'd get on the rope and swing from one end of the barn to the other. Dad was fine with for a time, but as the roof slowly rotted away my mom was like, no you're not doing that anymore. Those forks might come down on you kids and impale you through. And mom always exaggerated things; I thought she was just being a party pooper until Dad backed her up. Like whoa, dad's no longer keen on it being fun and games either. It must be true. Lol. I respected mom, I didn't swing on the rope, but there was the disappointment and whining until Dad confirmed mom's concerns. I don't think I was much older than six, so I couldn't comprehend getting forked to death.

Dad said if the barn was full of hay, being on top of the roof might not have been as concerning cause if you're foot went through you'd land on hay, but otherwise it was a long, long way down.

Jim, thanks for another 'old barn'. No way this one would survive many oldtime Vermont winters, but there is a sense of Order about it, and I enjoy looking at it.

I picture an old tractor sitting in one side and implements and old corn wagon sitting in other side.

Feed bins in the middle.

Memories.

Jim

@Bacpacker , maybe could been living quarters for hired help in upper loft.

My grampa had a live in place in his old barn for seasonal help/workers to live in.

He had same helpers come every year , they lived too far away to get to the farm daily, so they set up housekeeping in the barn.
Well and outhouse right outside.

Jim

On the north part of our property is an old stage stop. It was one of several that operated between the mining camps in the area. They'd trade out horses and the feed the passengers there. Everything was made out of logs so there isn't much still standing but we did find the old livery stable and the remains of a few other buildings and the hand dug well. Near as I can tell it operated up until the 30's or so. We go out and dig through the old dump sometimes, and one of these days we'll take the metal detectors up there.

One of my brothers used to roam about in fields and woods in Maryland and Virginia looking for old houses and foundations (1960s/1970s). He’d usually find something he could sell to an older gentleman in town who was a collector and antiques dealer.
Not much in the way of old barns around here.

Latest posts

Back