I love them old barns

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one of my favorite cabtilever barns. Very common in this area. 2nd pic is the inside, most of the wood is Tulip Popular. Great wood as long as you keep it dry. They get huge too, easily 100' tall 30 to 40" diameter is very common.

Attachments

• 20210130_152247.jpg
    20210130_152247.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210130_152314.jpg
    20210130_152314.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 21
Yep. A duplex.

Boy, that ain't hillbilly country; Feller can see farther than he can shoot, and no good way to get closer. At least that's how I look at it, and I'm a hillbilly.

I picture them wide open fields covered in deer , and me sitting up there in the copula with a high power rifle.😁

Jim

Have you posted any tobacco barns? I remember they’re a little different build than regular too, aren’t they?

I live in tobacco country.
Less than it once was , but still a big cash crop around me.
These are seen everywhere in my area.
You can see the smoke from smoking the baccer for miles when they're fireing up.
tobacco-barn-lancaster-county-david-speace.jpg
old-tobacco-barn-stocked-located-south-central-kentucky-44824758.jpg
b6e4420379830fd063f8008c0f1ec3db.jpg

Hard work , tobacco.
Big money .

Jim

I love the old barns with shed roofs hanging out. Great area to work in bad weather, plus equipment storage.

Flash back! Just reading that literally took me back to working in the barn or shop with my grandfather. I suddenly could smell the dust and smell the rain, hear the sound on the tin roof. Jeez, hadn't though of this in decades.

Grandpa taught me how to braid rope. We'd save and use baler twine from hay bales as we fed cattle in the winter. Then anytime during bad weather we'd sit in the barn or shop for hours and braid ropes to sell.

Thanks for that @Bacpacker

My grandfather had a really nice barn. Unfortunately, about five years ago a storm came through and blew it over. At the time, it probably hadn't been all that structurally sound in twenty years.

Our barn at the house is still standing but isn't in very good shape. It would be interesting to convert it into a guest house, but it would cost more than I can afford.

Flash back! Just reading that literally took me back to working in the barn or shop with my grandfather. I suddenly could smell the dust and smell the rain, hear the sound on the tin roof. Jeez, hadn't though of this in decades.

Grandpa taught me how to braid rope. We'd save and use baler twine from hay bales as we fed cattle in the winter. Then anytime during bad weather we'd sit in the barn or shop for hours and braid ropes to sell.

Thanks for that @Bacpacker

I have similar memories messin around in both Papaws barns. One had an old Farmall cub that we tinkered with. GOOD TIMES

There is an old barn that backs up to my neighbor's property. We really don't know who it belongs to. Sadly that also means we have to battle rodents.
Ah. A pair of rat terriers - and a pair of air rifles. It's something like rabbit hunting with beagles, only maybe minus the stew.
:ghostly:

NOT good. Even the contraption/cupola on top is a disaster. Looks like a Normal barn has been attacked by . . .something evil. EVIL!
I don't actually disagree, but can I ask why you say it? I thought it was "intriguing" and it made me wonder the reasoning etc. I've never seen such a roof and ran across the pix. Being round, it makes me wonder if it was a train barn - I have no idea but that's what I wondered.

I don't actually disagree, but can I ask why you say it? I thought it was "intriguing" and it made me wonder the reasoning etc. I've never seen such a roof and ran across the pix. Being round, it makes me wonder if it was a train barn - I have no idea but that's what I wondered.
Round takes more wind!!

Similar to the horse stable for the county mounted police.

police-horses.jpg

Ben

Latest posts

Back