I remember when I could ........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when I could fill up my car at 35 cents a gallon and go cruising all night with the gang rocking out to excellent music on this new thing called FM radio.

I remember when the 2A actually meant something. I walked into a pawn shop, in CA, and my eye was immediately taken to Luger war trophy. The clerk pulled it out and let me handle it. He set a price and looked sad when I walked out of his shop without buying. I was 8 or 9 and I just didn't have $9, not even in my piggy bank.

She drove from the city she lived in with several bags of broccoli so that she had food to eat while she was gone.
If I ever get to the point where I'm reliant on broccoli...well, there just would be no point...

I remember when you could just apply for a drivers licence and start driving (your boyfriend's car 🤣 ).
My children have to sit a theory test now before anything -and then when they get the damn licence they can't go anywhere
without me in the car with them for2 years until they sit the actual driving test. It used to cost 12 quid for the licence, now it's 40 each time you do the theory, and no, they aren't passing first time! I've looked at the questions and they are designed to catch you out. Actually maybe this should go in the rant section! 😂😂

I remember when you could just apply for a drivers licence and start driving (your boyfriend's car 🤣 ).
My aunt lived just down the road from her MIL. Aunt told me that MIL got her license back in the time when you just walked in, filled out the paper work and you could drive, or rather, you were allowed to drive. I remember seeing some of those people when I was a kid. They had no idea about where to be in a lane, how to drive with foot on the gas and keeping the car at a steady speed, driving in a weaving pattern. Especially after I took driver's ed. that I could see that many people needed better drivers education, not just being handed the keys and taking off.

Little kids around here are driving everything except cars. They're not allowed to drive cars till they're 14 with a farm license, and then at 15 they can drive a car to school, church, or on the farm. But seriously, I've seen kids driving combines. My favorite cousin's granddaughter that is 8 handles the ride em mower just fine. Most kids are driving tractor at 10.

Little kids around here are driving everything except cars. They're not allowed to drive cars till they're 14 with a farm license, and then at 15 they can drive a car to school, church, or on the farm. But seriously, I've seen kids driving combines. My favorite cousin's granddaughter that is 8 handles the ride em mower just fine. Most kids are driving tractor at 10.
I was driving tractors by 8. Plowing gardens for us and the neighbors by 10.

I would stand between the seat and the steering wheel and drive.
Grandpa would work it pedals and I would shift and steer.
If I remember it was in an early 1950s F100.
I was around 6 or 7.
I got caught in town in his truck when I was 12.
The cop chewed me out and sent me home, alone, with a warning to not drive Grandpas truck without him in it.
When I was older 10 or 11 he would let me drive his Ford 9n tractor.
I thought that was fun, until it turned into work

Last edited:
I would stand between the seat and the steering wheel and drive.
Grandpa would work it pedals and I would shift and steer.
If I remember it was in an early 1950s F100.
I was around 6 or 7.
I got caught in town in his truck when I was 12.
The cop chewed me out and sent me home, alone, with a warning to not drive Grandpas truck without him in it.
When I was older 10 or 11 he would let me drive his Ford 9n tractor.
I thought that was fun, until it turned into work
Kinda how I taught my kids to drive - but sitting in my lap - they would steer and shift and I did the leg work.

When we were little, we drove the hay trucks back when there were chokes so Pa could feed off the back. I would stand on my knees on the seat and my brother would be down on the floor board. I would tell him if he needed to push the break or clutch in (with all his body weight at 3-4 years old) I was 5-6.

I remember as a six-year-old my Great Grandmother leaving me 5 cents on her hall table for me: I could get a pack of chickadees (chips) and two half-penny strawberry sweets! And I could buy a comic and a Bounty bar for under a quid/

My happiest memory was winter time at my Grand Parents house
Waking up to the smell of coffee and bacon and the fire place burning
Sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee with my Grand mother
She would pour just enough into a coffee cup full of milk to turn it brown
I remember when you could roam all thru the woods and walk cross county and not be bothered by property owners about trespassing.
Yeah, people ruin a good thing by not picking up their trash or starting fires etc

I remember mucking out horse stalls and re-sanding them for $20.00 each
With that $20
I could take Susan Ruch to Pizza Hut
Get a pizza and a pitcher of beer
Head over to the movie theater buy 2 tickets and 2 cokes
And have some left over to put some gas in the truck so we could head out to Blue Bird Trail and attend the world famous water Mellon roast

For you youngsters that have no clue what a w as water mellon roast us
You build a big bonfire, every one parks their trucks in a circle headlights facing the fire
Tune all the radios to the same station
Toss a big ole juicy water Mellon on the fire
When it busts, run

off into the woods to get a piece

Lol. Figure that out

Latest posts

Back