I remember when I could ........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spider senses when it comes to animals. They all like me.

I used to teach survival riding to people who only know formal riding.

I found in most cases, people couldn't learn to feel/see what was going to happen ahead of time, so I just taught them when to cut loose and how to fall off without getting hurt. Jump ship as they say.

I have had horses trip, rear, buck, back flip ....and always felt it happening in time to remedy the situation.

I rode all the batchip crazy horses that failed to get with the training program. I didn't like training either. I stayed away from well trained horses. I would have ruined the training.

One thing I learned when I broke horses is if you let them get away with bad behavior you'll have twice the job on your hands! I would never 'jump ship', if I'm hitting the ground, so is the horse! My BEST horse I ever owned was one of my Dad's retired broncs. She was only four years old, but great at her job. She had fluid on her knee, Dad thought she'd make a pretty riding horse instead. I was 14yrs old when Dad gave her to me. "Jane" was hell bent on not being a riding horse. I swore one of us was going to die before I gave in, she ended up being a rock solid awesome horse!!😉 I have the scars and narled ribs to prove it!!😃

I'll admit, I never expected this thread to devolve into horseback riding. :rolleyes:

I remember when I could remember people's names...
Edith and Archie Bunker's real names - gone:(.

Last edited:
Remember the song I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was?
That's not true.
Things I can't do as good now.
Hear, see, move, wear a size 30 pants and the list goes on.
I could party all night long and still get out of bed the next morning and go to work.
I could never imagined that cutting my toe nails would become an aerobic exercise.
My brother was building his house and he needed to connect an interior wall to an exterior wall.
He told a guy let me get a ladder. The guy said no need. He stepped back jumped up and grabbed the top of the wall and just vaulted himself 8' and was sitting the top of the walls.
I wonder if that guy can still do it. Probable not, it's been 20 years or longer.
Old age will get everyone eventually if they are lucky and don't die early.

I remember when I use to not exercise at all. My blood pressure was increasing to "high" and my resting pulse was about 76 BPM. Since I began walking for an hour a day (Since June), my blood pressure had dropped by 20 points, my resting heart rate is 64 BPM, I've lost 23 pounds, and decreased my waist size by 3". At my age, I actually enjoy walking neighborhoods, waving to local neighbors, picking up trash along my paths, and have a much better outlook on my life.
Walking is really good exercise, especially when we get older. I have a neighbor who is home from his walk at 6 in the morning. We live near a beautiful park and walking over, around the lake and home again is a 3 mile jaunt. At that time of the day, he probably gets some meditation time in as well.

I remember running 5 and 10 K races, and being able to see my feet :p

I know the feeling. My hairline went north and my beltline went south. Remember inside every old person is a young person wondering what the heck happened.

I remember when I was 119 pounds and 5 foot 8 inches tall and could eat anything and as much as I wanted to. This was what I weighed when I graduated from h.s. Haven't been that thin since.
Similar to me. I graduated at 6'4" and 165. Oh how I wish I was anywhere near that weight now. Of course if I was working in the hay and tending cattle, plus year round basket ball, and racing dirt bikes. My exercise level is way down from there.

listen to you lot! and you think your going to survive WTSHTF
Nope. I'm just sharing what I learned so some kid has a chance.

Current age 73, height 6 foot. Weight 145 pounds. Played every sport and have paid the price. Both knees shot. Right knee completely unstable. Arthritic neck. Several dislocations and broken or cracked bones. Yes I can get off the floor but it does take some effort. No I can't cut my own toe nails, flexibility gone. Type 2 diabetic, due to very poor eating choices, as a young person. Hearing is also gone. I have an implant in my right ear and a hearing aid for my left ear. I need glasses to read small print. I don't heal like when I was younger. No more physical sports of any kind. Range visits are now my sport activity. I still do all my own home repairs, except roofing, don't have the tools or skills required. In January, I will start looking for a job. I want to get into more gardening and also build up my preps. I am still enjoying life, just have to limit my activities.

listen to you lot! and you think your going to survive WTSHTF?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would wager Pearl's home grown southern cock roaches dipped in molasses, that I could out survive most. Been there and done that and really don't want a repeat.

Survival in simply primitive conditions isn't the problem, mind set is. Even broken down old wrecks can give you a run for your money.

Work smarter, not harder.

Even as a cripple, I can trap and I know what yard salad looks like and with a bit of help, I can grow a small garden. I'm not above eating boiled minnows or using rat traps on squirrels either. Mushrooms are easy, so are taters and carrots.

I'm not bad at booby traps either, most of my friends in my teen years were Nam vets. just modify for game, easy-peasy puddin pie.

Oh Hun, some days I do moan and groan, @Pearl. It's the holiday season so I wear wrist braces on both hands, because the sharp pains keep waking me up at night. This just lessons the time between. Yes, even with the braces, my finger tips go numb and wrist hurt.
I have wrist braces too, thumb arthritis! Its hard when your hands don't want to work correctly, I feel for you!!

Even as a cripple, I can trap and I know what yard salad looks like and with a bit of help, I can grow a small garden. I'm not above eating boiled minnows or using rat traps on squirrels either. Mushrooms are easy, so are taters and carrots.

I'm not bad at booby traps either, most of my friends in my teen years were Nam vets. just modify for game, easy-peasy puddin pie.
Must remember rat traps for squirrels. Never thought about it before.

Oh my, if I ever woke up and nothing hurt, I'd KNOW I was dead :p
@Patchouli No worries, something has hurt for the past 5 decades, it's part of the Suckrifice.

Master Chief:
Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
ME :Don't know!
Master Chief:
It lets you know you're not dead yet!

@Patchouli No worries, something has hurt for the past 5 decades, it's part of the Suckrifice.

Master Chief:
Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?
ME :Don't know!
Master Chief:
It lets you know you're not dead yet!
Medical people, doctors, techs, nurses, etc. have told me I must have a high tolerance for pain which kind of ticks me off because that means that when I'm in excruciating pain, well, it must be pretty dang bad. I don't know how they can tell. I think others have a low tolerance for pain.
The headaches I've been getting off and on the past few days. Very uncommon for me, makes me want to punch something or put skewers in my temples. This is a sad topic for me because...I've seen people I love be in deathly pain. erg.
On topic: Oh, so I remember when I could wake up and start walking and it wouldn't hurt ...because now my feet hurt usually every day and as soon as I start to walk. If I lost 26 pounds it would not be good so it isn't a weight thing.

I have wrist braces too, thumb arthritis! Its hard when your hands don't want to work correctly, I feel for you!!
I have a cousin who is younger than me. She used to have a cleaning business with employees. She developed arthritis. When I asked her about it, she said it was due to all the cleaning chemicals that she had used over the years. I asked if she ever considered using more natural products, like vinegar. She told me that because it was a business, she had to use the strongest products she could to clean faster and that did her in. She no longer has her cleaning business.

What did those chemicals do? She went to see someone, maybe a naturopath, who did stress tests on her for all the foods and things that caused her AR to be worse. She ended up with about 5 foods that she could eat that wouldn't agitate her AR. Raw broccoli was one thing she could eat. She drove from the city she lived in with several bags of broccoli so that she had food to eat while she was gone.

I have another cousin who had been on medication for her AR for many years. She has been a vegetarian since she was a teenager. She went to see her doctor and he told her he had seen excellent results for people with AR going on the Mediterranean diet. She did go Mediterranean, and has not been needing to take her medication since.

Must remember rat traps for squirrels. Never thought about it before.
It came to me accidentally, I used peanut butter in a rat trap and got a squack.
You might want to drill a hole in it for an anchor, they put up a hell of a fight it seems

Medical people, doctors, techs, nurses, etc. have told me I must have a high tolerance for pain which kind of ticks me off because that means that when I'm in excruciating pain, well, it must be pretty dang bad. I don't know how they can tell. I think others have a low tolerance for pain.
The headaches I've been getting off and on the past few days. Very uncommon for me, makes me want to punch something or put skewers in my temples. This is a sad topic for me because...I've seen people I love be in deathly pain. erg.
On topic: Oh, so I remember when I could wake up and start walking and it wouldn't hurt ...because now my feet hurt usually every day and as soon as I start to walk. If I lost 26 pounds it would not be good so it isn't a weight thing.
Dr.
Your knee is dislocated, you have a cracked femur and 3rd degree burns..

Me at prime of life:
Just shut up and give me an aspirin, I got stuff to do.

Dr.
Your hang nail is infected.

Me now:
KILLLLL MEEEEE!

You sure don't need to lose any weight!!

Latest posts

Back