I Remember When . . .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when my grandparents farm house had a woodcooking stove, water well, kerosene lamps, and an outhouse. I also remember when they got electricity and telephone. The phone's party line was hilarious. You had to listen for your ring tone to answer the phone. I think my grandparents phone ring was two longs and a short.
We had a party line growing up and had to listen for our ring.

I remember when there was no cellphones
People were communicate like humans in the Dr waiting room

PS. I am so very happy I only have phones at home /landline 🤪
Some of us still do if they look up from the brains sucking screens.

We had a party line growing up and had to listen for our ring.
We had a party line - 7 homes. No distinctive ring that I recall so the whole neighborhood answered, then you figured out who was getting the call. There was one hell of a personal answering machine if the intended party didn't pick up. All you're neighbors came over the next day and said you got a call from so-and-so yesterday.

My Dad was the milkman. In the summer when I didn’t have school, I would get up at 3 AM and ride the milk route with him. First he would go to the dairy, put big blocks of ice in this truck (which had a wooden floor) load up his deliveries for the day and we’d set out. One of his stops was a restaurant and we would eat there. If we need milk at home, we’d just go out to the backyard into the truck and get it. He owned his route.

We went to West New Rochelle (from here) showing around our first born boy. At my 90 yer old granny's place...she was putting spaghetti and meatballs (pigeon/pork/veal) on the table for us. Outside...a 20-ish year old guy pulled up in a big fuel oil truck...shoved the nozzle into the cap on her tiny lawn...came up the steps...wiped his feet...sat down...and granny fed him, too. The kid's grandfather crime over on the same boat from Italy.

Sorry folks. That sort of thing's gone. We've all lost something precious. It bothers me......to no end.

I grew up in the bush, no power, no phone, but Dad could afford to by a 3 year old pick up just on small ranch income, not financed just went in and bought it. Our big tractor was a johndeere AR. I still remember our first phone number. when they finally put the lines in maybe 1967? I still have machines with points, and one truck with points and of course carburetors. I remember our class bully like to push people when they were getting on the buss, make them knock their shins, He pushed me , I had just gotten a new lunch kit NEW, it got dinted, the bully got a nasty beating, then I looked up and saw the bus driver and our teacher, I thought oh no, but they asked me if I was hurt, and made the bully cleanup his nose bleed mess, he was pretty well mannered after that.

With a dime, one could make a call from a phone booth.

I remember what a phone booth is. And actually using one.

I remember those Coke dispensers in gas stations. Shaped like a top load chest freezer. You would slide your bottle down a slot, to the end, where you could get it out.

I remember watching Gilligan's Island when it wasn't a re-run - you had to wait a week between episodes.

I remember what a phone booth is. And actually using one.
Funny you should mention phone booths. I was subbing a school bus run for two days last week. 15 minutes past the narrow washed out road with the one way bridge, I turned right onto another back road. A telephone booth at the edge of the trees along the road, marked the turn. There is no way it was working although there was a phone in it.

I remember riding around in the bed of a truck, as many of us as would fit.

I remember loving the pop up seats in the back of the country squire wagon.

I remember calling collect.

I remember being 9 years old and riding my bike several miles to town and spending the day there wandering around completely unsupervised.

I remember being 9 years old and riding my bike several miles to town and spending the day there wandering around completely unsupervised.
How times have changed....

Dad worked in Wilmington, in the summer he would take me and my bike up to Wilmington so I could ride around and "see the sights". I had a Wilmington library card when I was 13 :D. I think I will have to get a new one :p

I remember when my grandparents farm house had a woodcooking stove, water well, kerosene lamps, and an outhouse.

that made me laugh, we have all those now, except we don't even have a well ( spring water piped directly off mountain by gravity)
(we do have indoor plumbing, but also still have 2 outhouses outside that are fully functional)

I remember my parents having the only phone in the neighborhood maybe early 70s and the neighbors would come and pay to make phone calls. The phone had a sort of meter on it you could read off how long they talked
At that time my aunts farmhouse ( and other in the area) had no real indoor bathroom or plumbing other than water coming out of 1 faucet in a room used for putting up a tub for taking a bath, butchering animals and changing your outdoor shoes, they had no phone, no tv and only used electric for lights
This was in the early 70s also. I remember maybe around 1975 she got a real bathroom put in
no washing machine either, wash got done in a big tub that had a sort of wood stove underneath you could heat up the water
nobody I knew had a clothes dryer, don't think they got there till maybe 20 years ago

We lived in Winston Salem NC in 1961 and cigs were 10-15 and 25 cents a pack.

Drove a black car with no air and didn't get too hot riding with the windows down.

I remember Vacuum wipers on the older cars that stopped when you pushed on the gas.

Being on a US highway that was 2 lane gravel.

Hot patching a tube and booting a tire.

One of the biggest is power brakes on a car, one of my friends mothers got a new Mercury in 1964 and she had never had a car with power brakes.

She could not drive it because she was used to putting her entire foot on the pedal and she would lock it up and throw us in the floor till I told her to sit her heel on the floor and just use her toe, We lived through it.

that made me laugh, we have all those now, except we don't even have a well ( spring water piped directly off mountain by gravity)
(we do have indoor plumbing, but also still have 2 outhouses outside that are fully functional)

I remember my parents having the only phone in the neighborhood maybe early 70s and the neighbors would come and pay to make phone calls. The phone had a sort of meter on it you could read off how long they talked
At that time my aunts farmhouse ( and other in the area) had no real indoor bathroom or plumbing other than water coming out of 1 faucet in a room used for putting up a tub for taking a bath, butchering animals and changing your outdoor shoes, they had no phone, no tv and only used electric for lights
This was in the early 70s also. I remember maybe around 1975 she got a real bathroom put in
no washing machine either, wash got done in a big tub that had a sort of wood stove underneath you could heat up the water
nobody I knew had a clothes dryer, don't think they got there till maybe 20 years ago
When I built our one-room cabin, it had an outhouse, kerosene lamps, woodstove, and a well. No electricity. My mother's reaction was, "Why do you want to live like that! I grew up with those things and never do I want to do it over again!"

When I was about 6 years old, my mom was driving and we were making a left turn, directly behind another car. During the turn, there was a little girl who fell out of the car (no seat belts, door not latched) and rolled onto the asphalt She got pretty banged up.

My mom scooped up the injured child, put her back into the car, while grabbing their infant, who was in their car, and told the lady driver that we would watch the baby and to go right to the hospital in the next town to help the little girl. My mom just told her we would meet her at the hospital in a few hours, and give the baby back.

This allowed the mom to tend to her young daughter and not have to worry about the infant. We met the mom and little girl after a few hours at the nearest hospital, about 20 miles away. That's what people did back in those days.

Dad worked in Wilmington, in the summer he would take me and my bike up to Wilmington so I could ride around and "see the sights". I had a Wilmington library card when I was 13 :D. I think I will have to get a new one :p
I believe being able to wander around at a young age helped us to be more capable as we grew up. We knew how to behave in stores/libraries, how to understand and watch for traffic, how to navigate, how to manage time... All sorts of things that are lost today.

I remember going to the movie and there was a couple minute break in the middle of the film so they could change reels.
I remember being one of the employees changing the reels. 😂

Drove a black car with no air and didn't get too hot riding with the windows down.
That reminds me of how we used to have a towel in the car in the summertime to put down on the seats so our legs (wearing shorts) wouldn't get stuck to the hot vinyl after the car had been sitting in the sun.

I remember when I was first taught that I could use a wrench on a screwdriver to get more torque. He never told me that I'd likely ream out more screw heads this way.
1711552532992.png

you guys must be older than me, I don't remember gas ever being cheaper than around .99 cents a gallon
I do remember a pack of cigarettes being .99 cents, for Marlboros. I think they are up to like $10 now

I grew up in a different country so stuff over there was very different from here even in the 80s ( when I moved here)
Never saw an ATM or drive through fast food place until I moved to the US. Never knew cable tv existed, we had 3 public tv channels in the 80s that started around 4 or 5 pm and ended around 1 AM , there were no commercials in any shows, those were limited to about 10 minutes at 8 PM only
never had peanut butter or mangos ( love both very much)
this one made me really mad: drinking age was 21!! No drinking age at the time at all in Germany ( they might have one now, not sure) . It was still like that when my kids were teenagers and thought it was the coolest thing to be able to order a glass of wine in a restaurant
Public toilets cost money, there was no ice in drinks , or if you really insisted on it, you got 1 little ice cube
no air conditioning anywhere, not even in stores
That's the Germany I remember when I was stationed Nuremberg in the late 70's and early 80's.

When I built our one-room cabin, it had an outhouse, kerosene lamps, woodstove, and a well. No electricity. My mother's reaction was, "Why do you want to live like that! I grew up with those things and never do I want to do it over again!"
my dad said the same thing and laughed when I told him we were going to live on a farm....
He thought it was really crazy to give up well paying jobs in Florida and live in a nice city house to do this.

Ha! Me!!!!! Wow. That's like...geez...65 years ago for me!!!!
I remember the line of kids in the store, every one of them holding a shiny dime in their fingers, when word got out that the kites had arrived.
That was one happy day!😍

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back