I Remember When . . .

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't comment on the two little boys taking a look at the little girl upside down in the skirt! Oh wait, I did!😃
Look again....
The boy on the upper left is about to drop a rock on one of the girls below.
The boy just above him sees this and is freaking out😮.

Last edited:
I remember when my official savings account balance was handwritten in a little booklet by the bank teller.
1712619013158.jpeg

I remember something in the US that probably doesn't exist anymore: full service gas stations! I knew someone once in the 80s that worked at one. They would check your oil, clean your windshield, fill your tires up if they needed it and put the gas in for you. I know they still had them in NJ not that long ago, but only there not anywhere else. But they used to have them everywhere
As a teenager in the mid 1960's, this was my summer job for a few summers.
Lake Park Esso, in Lake Park, Florida.
We had one regular that was a waitress at a seafood restaurant and her uniform was a white blouse and snug black leather skirt. When she was sitting behind the wheel, that skirt rode up high enough to put my 16 year old male hormones into high gear. I always spent a little extra time getting her windshield spotless.:)

I grew up on a dairy farm. Our drinking milk came straight from the bulk tank. I remember having to shake the heck out of the milk bottle to re-mix the cream on top. It was so thick you couldn't pour a glass of milk without spooning out or shaking back in all that cream.
I didn’t like butter for the longest time because my mom liked the little sour pearls of buttermilk in the butter. I was an adult before I learned most people rinse it and it didn’t taste like that 🥴

It was so thick you couldn't pour a glass of milk without spooning out or shaking back in all that cream.
I still shake the small cartons of milk.
I worked in a Mobil service station.
Like @rice paddy daddy I would do an extra special job washing the windshields of the local HS girls and a few of their Moms.
People would come in and ask for $2 worth of regular and a quart of 25 cent bulk oil.
Bulk oil was what was drained out of cars when you did an oil change.
It was filtered through several different filters to clean it unless my Uncle, the owner, just bottled it and didn't filter it.

I didn’t like butter for the longest time because my mom liked the little sour pearls of buttermilk in the butter. I was an adult before I learned most people rinse it and it didn’t taste like that 🥴
All I read was your mom liked " little Pearl"!!😃👍🙄🙄🙄

Yep. I waited on a line but my big brother had to go with me...he had the money.
He, hee!
I bet you remember playing 'marbles' during recess when you were a kid too! :D
When you got older, you learned what "playing for keeps" meant:oops:.
1950s-boys-girls-shooting-marbles-CMR3B1.jpg

I think back to washing the trays in the cafeteria (I must have been on a school work lunch program, just realized we must have been poor!).

I remember my first job selling diesel for 29.9 cents a gallon. The .9 cents always confused me... :) Rode a bicycle to work until I could save up enough to buy my first old car.

I remember something in the US that probably doesn't exist anymore: full service gas stations!
I remember! :D

I also remember when the switch to self-service started. There would be one island for full service, and one island for self-service.

I went to school in Louisiana, but my parents were still in OH. Whenever I would drive back and forth I always used the self-service island. But when I drove through Alabama or Mississippi and pulled up at the self-service island, those attendants would fly out of the office to come pump my gas, looking rather distressed that I was doing it myself.

I love southern gentlemen. :)

I remember these, do you?
playground-merrygoround-grass-600nw-13344022.jpg

We had fun on them as kids. :D
Funny story:
It wasn't until I was in college that I learned how to "Turbo" one:oops:.
We bored students that lived in the dormitory would go to the playground in the state park late at night to drink beer and smoke dope.
We were all taking the physics course, which was key.
We grown-up kids could spin that merry go round really fast.
And then one of us physics students, (coulda been me:rolleyes:) spoke up and said: "if everybody moves half way to the center, the RPM will double, and if we move half the way closer, it will double again":oops:.
The fun:
1. Last one that didn't make it to the center, gets slung off, tumbling thru the grass.🤣
2. If you did make it to the center, as fast as it was spinning, whether you were drinking or smoking, you couldn't stand up when you got off:LOL:.

If you look at merry go rounds today, you will see that they had to redesign them so the top bars no longer go straight to the center, but down to the floor instead.
Not fun:
9rws79iuevf81.jpg

Funny story:
We bored students that lived in the dormitory would go to the playground in the state park late at night to drink beer and smoke dope.
And then one of us physics students, (coulda been me:rolleyes:) spoke up and said: "if everybody moves half way to the center, the RPM will double, and if we move half the way closer, it will double again":oops:.
The fun:
1. Last one that didn't make it to the center, gets slung off, tumbling thru the grass.🤣
2. If you did make it to the center, as fast as it was spinning, whether you were drinking or smoking, you couldn't stand up when you got off:LOL:.

If you look at merry go rounds today, you will see that they had to redesign them so the top bars no longer go straight to the center, but down to the floor instead.
Not fun:
View attachment 128040
You can power those spinners with a motorcycle or dirt bike.

Funny story:
The fun:

Not fun:
View attachment 128040
Awesome story. Amazing what beer drinking and dope smoking can lead to.

In elementary school we always would see how fast we could spin ours. Never failed we'd get most everyone thrown off before we'd stop. Best one was one day somebody came off and took out 2 of the pushers. That was soooo funny

I remember when a bunch of people were sitting around talking and the subject wasn't all about their medical problems.
My wife me and her sister and BIL were sitting around a campfire and I asked what we used to talk about before we got old and all we talked about was our aches and pains.
This made me laugh. I remember my mother always complaining about my grandparents talking all the time about their medical issues, doctor's appointments, and bodily functions. My mom swore she would NEVER be like that........ well, she was.. exactly like that. Funny stuff.

Latest posts

Back