Is It Just My Imagination?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fteter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Is it just my imagination or has the interest in preparing fallen off over the past two years? As recently as two years ago, I knew quite a few people who were enthusiastic about preparing to an emergency of some kind. But most of those people have abandoned the effort over the last 24 months.

In one way, the downturn is kind of nice. I've picked up some wonderful stuff at dirt cheap prices. But I worry because it means that there are a few more people unprepared for rough times.

Anyone else out there seeing the same trend?

Is it just my imagination or has the interest in preparing fallen off over the past two years? As recently as two years ago, I knew quite a few people who were enthusiastic about preparing to an emergency of some kind. But most of those people have abandoned the effort over the last 24 months.

In one way, the downturn is kind of nice. I've picked up some wonderful stuff at dirt cheap prices. But I worry because it means that there are a few more people unprepared for rough times.

Anyone else out there seeing the same trend?
This is part of what I was talking about in my question recently about people being weary of food storage. Don't you think even on the forums the discussions are often about other topics. Some might be related, but a whole bunch are not.

Take this group as an example. It is a homesteading forum, but homesteading and preparedness seem to have some connections. People who want to be prepared, want to be able to know how to keep providing for themselves after a SHTF situation. But there is hardly any discussion here about preparedness. If people are not talking about it, then maybe they are not thinking about it.

People may be preparing, but are just not talking about it.

My preparedness activities have gone down in the last year and a half. I ramp activities up or down based on what I see as perceived or potential "things" that can threaten my families lives.

Hate to pull in politics but it has a lot to do with my comfort factor. Since Obama & Clinton are gone and Trump is in, I feel much safer. ISIS is being stomped on, North Korea isn't threatening anymore, Iran isn't as obnoxious, the economy is doing great, unemployment is way down...

I still have what I need but have been putting my time and physical efforts into other things.

My preparing is still taking place. But it has shifted from purchasing and stocking to be able to make or modify things I already have, use old tools by hand instead of power driven. I guess skill building , more than stuff.
As for discussions on forum's, I am somewhat active on 3-4, less so on a couple others. I've been on 2-3 for 10 years or so and have saw them cycle every single year. Typically summer falls off due to folks working outside so much during the long light of day. Things will pick up when daylight wanes.

Skill building, Bacpacker; that's a bigger deal than some preppers seem to really understand. A lot of hand (and foot) powered tools are dangerous if you don't know how to use them. Might be a good idea to practice with them now, while there's a better chance you can be fixed when you screw up.

@fteter we are still preparing here and building up lots of things in regards to food storage, tools, fuel and lots of other things which is part of what we believe in as Mormons. I will say I am noticing a whole lot of our friends who are also of the same faith not preparing at all which I find sad as they are mostly families with lots of children.

We are having a large focus at church on cooking, cheese making and lots of other activities to promote self reliance and I am seeing many more people show up for these but am sure most don't do anything outside of these classes. On the other hand we have a few close friends who are more like us and are prepared but sadly I would say more aren't prepared as are.

Here in our area it is not affluent although there are a lot of people if they learnt to budget could do so much more for themselves and families.

In our view it is down to the agency people have they either want to do something to protect and prepare their families or they don't. It is their choice and inevitably if something bad happens it will be on their shoulders the consequences and we will not be supporting them.

We were in a local prepper group and that stopped meeting after Trump won. I thought that was crazy. It was a decent group in that it encouraged everyone to try a little harder, do a little more Also allowed newer preppers to talk about it without sounding nuts to like minded people. I have always prepped for economic collapse (mainly) and that situation has gotten worse, not better.
If our government and our higher up politicians are better prepared than average Joe, then we have a problem. Politicians will be the ones that are left. Now that's a scary thought.

We mostly just keep a little food in case of storms. We plan to grow much of our food IF I can ever learn to grow potatoes!
Being old and surrounded by trees and real heavy bush we won't have a chance if shtf. I be darn if I'm going to store up stuff fro whoever kills us. The renegades can grow their own food.

We do have solar and well. And some food we canned.
I like the site here because sometise I still look up things or go to reference.

I think a lot of the serious preppers and homesteaders are not talking much. The ones that do it have gone more "underground" on the net and not as much talk in the open. Less new people feeling the pressure since the economy seems better in several areas, so less worry about food, etc.
And it's summer, the growers are out in the field or canning most of the time. I hope as fall comes along more people will have more time to spend here.

It takes a lot of work to stay on top of being prepared. Most people can't maintain that level of output without a big "fear factor" involved. To me, it's just an everyday thing. You either do it to fulfill some internal need or you do it because of some outside thing. Outside issues come and go but when you have an internal need it stays constant.

Id love to be at the top of things,when it comes to what every comes my way n all..BUT..i know that'd probably be taking things to far.besides.i love my down time to let something/ someone else take that away from.I'm pretty well prepared for everyday life,to everyday ocurances. To what ever life n nature has to throw my way.and if i live through it.that's all the better.seeing how i have another day jf life to prepare for.and enjoy.

Scare factor.

X-ray shows possibility of cancer. We stop smoking, improve our eating habits and if scared enough, make promises to God. A few months or a year the scare has wore off and we are right back where we was.

Prepping I figure is the same way for a majority. Politically or employment scare and we up our prepping game plan. When the scare doesn't come to be we slip back into our complacency.

I've tripled down on my efforts.

I've become more focused and everyday I take stock and even though I've got next to no money
everyday I do something to improve my position.
I'm either fixing something.
Building.
Planting.
Processing and storing.
Reading, downloading and learning.

At the end of each day as I lay my head down I take stock again of what
I accomplished and what I can do tomorrow and then I give Praise to the
Almighty and thank HIM for his abundance and his unending love.
My greatest treasure is the unending store of forgiveness, strength and courage that flows from
the throne of Grace.

We have been keeping an eye on the harvest reports. And stocking accordingly.
Many countries have lost 50% of their crops due to an abundance of or lack of storms. We have decided to put this place up for sale come spring and ill move up to the mountain with the kid while hubby stays here with the camper until he retires.

Latest posts

Back