Island living and survival

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concentrate on skills relevant to my location and climate, some of these videos are excellent but unless they relate to my own situation they are just entertainment. I'm nowhere near the sea for a start and I'm closer to moorland than any jungle.
There’s always a little something to glean. Some technique that lights an idea in you thats relative to your situation.

There’s always a little something to glean. Some technique that lights an idea in you thats relative to your situation.
there "might" just be something but those videos are so different to where I live that watching them might just be time wasting.
"tales from the green valley" on youtube is more in line with my situation than someone in Russia or in the Pacific or in a jungle, at least that one is in my home country.

all of these techniques/skills will work or be adapted to all areas of globe.broad brushing statement as some might not be. gill nets and various traps and seines are some of the most universal skills on all coast lands and freshwater fishing area.

a small fish trap might be useful but nets would not be due to the narrowness of the rivers-more like large streams here.
the situation is so different. as I've said I know the videos to watch relevent to my area.
the videos posted may be helpful to some but each of us has different requirements.

a small fish trap might be useful but nets would not be due to the narrowness of the rivers-more like large streams here.
the situation is so different. as I've said I know the videos to watch relevent to my area.
the videos posted may be helpful to some but each of us has different requirements.

Lonewolf, I totally agree. I love this thread, and it brings up some interesting situations, but the only way I am going to end up on some tropical island is if the plane I am riding in crashes there. I spend 99% of my time in an urban/suburban environment probably within 25 miles of my house. I rarely travel, and when I do I feel very vulnerable not being allowed to take my normal EDC with me. Still, urban and suburban prepping and survival are my main focus.

I'm sure in a place like America its possible to buy hand working tools, I'm in Britain but I've got a stock of hand tools for WTSHTF.
as for skills look for a course of the skills you think you will need, I believe the young man in the videos is not in the US so his skills would be different to yours.
I have been collecting 18 century tools most of my life, I have wooden plane & hand saws, but my 1925 anvil & pole vise are the best tools I have in my collection.
The young mans skills are to use what he has to make what he needs, the rest is production of those thing.
"use what you got & you will not need what you do not have" Dr. Dolittle.

you can still set a gill net..in fact being on small stream you can set a short gill net across the entire width.

if its even smaller streams like creek size well you need a two pole seine and just get in and seine it. take small fish home with you in a bucket and put in tank and try growing them out. jefferson used a holding pond made pf brick out the back door of kitchen at monticello.

i have seen guys use hoop type nets in your country to catch eels.isn't that in various areas?

Lonewolf, I totally agree. I love this thread, and it brings up some interesting situations, but the only way I am going to end up on some tropical island is if the plane I am riding in crashes there. I spend 99% of my time in an urban/suburban environment probably within 25 miles of my house. I rarely travel, and when I do I feel very vulnerable not being allowed to take my normal EDC with me. Still, urban and suburban prepping and survival are my main focus.
yes i understand and i think certain things or things we see we can adapt to our needs. to me in your situation a bicycle in your vehicle or at home would be worth having.

also in just troubled times like venezuela and more collapses we see it doesnt go full blown apocalypse too.you might consider stealth gear for foraging etc. like a mini fishing rod/reel combo or tenkara rod or one of several options for fishing. capturing pigeons or luring pigeons to your property.

how to get home with groceries,fish or game without getting mugged. backpack,basket or especially saddle bags you can see into or open easily.

way way back in the day there was a guy done a survival thing for city and urban areas. the dude broke all kinds of laws to prove a point. he was killing pigeons and ducks in a park and wheeling and dealing with various 'characters' in surrounding area he was at too.it was a great article and pictures showing what he was doing.

Most traps are made from net or can be. I liked that T knot. I'll not likely ever use it but if I ever wind up in some lake it might come in handy. I like knots that provide a different function. I have a net needle and know how to patch nets. I could even carve a net needle in a pinch.

I run across a lot of videos that don't particularly pertain to me. I watch some, all, or none of each. I don't complain that they don't pertain to me. those videos matter to others and my complaints don't add to the discussion. I can often glean something from them. My uncle told me that if you read a book and only got one or two new ideas it was worth reading the entire book.

yes i understand and i think certain things or things we see we can adapt to our needs. to me in your situation a bicycle in your vehicle or at home would be worth having.

also in just troubled times like venezuela and more collapses we see it doesnt go full blown apocalypse too.you might consider stealth gear for foraging etc. like a mini fishing rod/reel combo or tenkara rod or one of several options for fishing. capturing pigeons or luring pigeons to your property.

how to get home with groceries,fish or game without getting mugged. backpack,basket or especially saddle bags you can see into or open easily.

way way back in the day there was a guy done a survival thing for city and urban areas. the dude broke all kinds of laws to prove a point. he was killing pigeons and ducks in a park and wheeling and dealing with various 'characters' in surrounding area he was at too.it was a great article and pictures showing what he was doing.
plenty of wood pigeons where I live.
got plenty of mini fishing gear also snares.

Last edited:
plenty of wood pigeons where I live.
got plenty of mini fishing gear also snares.
Are you talking about doves or pigeons, they are the same DNA, but here in USA we treat them different.

3-14-23 look at the boat how its made and its handmade parts from the best items they can find.look at the bow and heavy arrows and broadheads. but notice store bought diving mask. anyhow..interesting things to see...i hope they come out with a full length version of this short clip soon.

3-14-23 look at the boat how its made and its handmade parts from the best items they can find.look at the bow and heavy arrows and broadheads. but notice store bought diving mask. anyhow..interesting things to see...i hope they come out with a full length version of this short clip soon.

The real story is in the details!

This was my favorite movie for most of my life. Something about surviving on an island, defeating pirates with logs and coconut bombs was great imho!

It was one of my favorites as well, and one of the attractions we raced to when we went to Disneyland as kids. It wasn't until many years later I questioned how they got animals from about four different continents on that island. :dunno: Still one of my favorite movies.

It was one of my favorites as well, and one of the attractions we raced to when we went to Disneyland as kids. It wasn't until many years later I questioned how they got animals from about four different continents on that island. :dunno: Still one of my favorite movies.
I must have seen it at Disneyland. I've been there three times, but it is possible that I haven't or didn't see it. Animals from four different continents? I remember that they had an ostrich and a zebra on their island, but I don't remember all of the rest. I need to watch that movie again.

I must have seen it at Disneyland. I've been there three times, but it is possible that I haven't or didn't see it. Animals from four different continents? I remember that they had an ostrich and a zebra on their island, but I don't remember all of the rest. I need to watch that movie again.

There was also a tiger, and an elephant. If memory serves I thought the elephant had small ears, which would make it an Indian Elephant. I thought there was an Anaconda or some kind of very large snake. Quite the zoo for such a small island.

It has been about a hundred years since I was in Disneyland, but again, if memory serves, Swiss Family Robinson Tree House was in Adventure Land with the Jungle Cruise ride.

Last edited:
It has been about a hundred years since I was in Disneyland, but again, if memory serves, Swiss Family Robinson Tree House was in Adventure Land with the Jungle Cruise ride.
I was there the first time in 1971. That is too long ago for me to remember. The other times I remember following my friend's lead. She and a friend of hers had season passes because they lived fairly close and went about once a month. She really knew the ins and outs of the place. It does take 3 days to see it all. Friend is now deceased and I am sticking close to home. I have no desire to go to California now.

posting for concept of bicycle and more. back in 90 an old timer i knew got a mtn bike and put gun rack on it. he was able to hunt closed roads easily with it and get in faster to hunting spot and back faster after hunt.

I'm watching Swiss Family Robinson now. The island it was filmed on was Tobago, in the Caribbean. Lots of animals are on the show that are not native to Tobago. Hyenas, tiger, zebras, jaguar, tiger, elephant, big constrictor snake (maybe python), ostriches, a large wading bird, maybe a heron.

I'm watching Swiss Family Robinson now. The island it was filmed on was Tobago, in the Caribbean. Lots of animals are on the show that are not native to Tobago. Hyenas, tiger, zebras, jaguar, tiger, elephant, big constrictor snake (maybe python), ostriches, a large wading bird, maybe a heron.

Is it just as much fun to watch it now as it was when we were kids?

stumbled across this..it was filmed in 2008..i think...anyway things to see and hear from this guys experience.

from video description

Welcome to our amazing adventure! In this video, we'll be joining our hero Xavier Rosset on a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure - 300 days alone on Tofua, a remote island of the Tonga in the Pacific Ocean.

We'll follow our hero as he embarks on a daring journey of exploration, discovery, and self-reliance. He'll be completely isolated from civilization, and must use his wits and skills to survive.

We'll start by watching him build a shelter, and gathering food and supplies. Then he'll have to figure out how to catch fish and hunt animals. He'll also need to make improvised tools, and explore the island.

And we'll watch as he adjusts to life on the island; dealing with storms, loneliness, and the possibility of never being rescued. We'll see how he copes with the mental and physical struggles of living alone in the wild.

It's a remarkable story of courage and determination, a true psychological story between solitude and loneliness and hopefully it will inspire others to try their own outdoor adventures. Join us now for this amazing Robinson Crusoe adventure! After 3 minutes, you won't be willing to leave your screen.

island he was on .......this is about 20,000 acre island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofua
country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonga

500px-Tonga_on_the_globe_%28Polynesia_centered%29.svg.png

Last edited:
the guy had some pretty big hard cases to move and a battery or more for keeping everything charged to film with. look at that rocky coast...this is just one example i was referencing and @Sourdough in freighting heavy loads thread . towards end sourdough look what i spotted...lol..freighter pack with leveling foot.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2023.03.23-04_40_13.png

Last edited:
stumbled across this..it was filmed in 2008..i think...anyway things to see and hear from this guys experience.

from video description

Welcome to our amazing adventure! In this video, we'll be joining our hero Xavier Rosset on a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure - 300 days alone on Tofua, a remote island of the Tonga in the Pacific Ocean.

We'll follow our hero as he embarks on a daring journey of exploration, discovery, and self-reliance. He'll be completely isolated from civilization, and must use his wits and skills to survive.

We'll start by watching him build a shelter, and gathering food and supplies. Then he'll have to figure out how to catch fish and hunt animals. He'll also need to make improvised tools, and explore the island.

And we'll watch as he adjusts to life on the island; dealing with storms, loneliness, and the possibility of never being rescued. We'll see how he copes with the mental and physical struggles of living alone in the wild.

It's a remarkable story of courage and determination, a true psychological story between solitude and loneliness and hopefully it will inspire others to try their own outdoor adventures. Join us now for this amazing Robinson Crusoe adventure! After 3 minutes, you won't be willing to leave your screen.

I've been to a lot of places. Tonga is the place I would choose to go back to above all others. The king attends the Wesleyan Church. We went to Easter services there.

from video description

Interesting that he bonded with the pig more closely than the dog.

I guess being stuck on an island with Arnold from Greenacres would provide more intelligent interactions than you can get from many dogs........

Although, Arnold would be constantly complaining about not having a TV.

Seriously though, it is most likely about the psychology of dependence - the pig was little, cute and talkative.....but it was also much more dependent upon him.

It is now believed that Easter island was filled with animals, trees & men wasted their resources to the point there was no large wood to build boats & the people died out, because the island was far & away from anyone who could help them.
Sorry no link, a Joe Rogan podcast.

Latest posts

Back