Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, you just reminded me of a memory I had forgotten (or maybe 'buried', Lol!) until I saw yer pic.. Lolol! OK so...
............. And starts to rinse his hands in the sprinkler-streams - AND THEN IT HITS ME.. 😂😂😂

...So I 'clamped up / pulled back' / whipped around, and dipped as quickly as I could Out of the bathroom - Forget 'finishing' or trying to 'wash my hands', Now!!! 😂 I was So freaking embarrassed, but.. Never one to have any issue 'laughing at myself' - I Told my Friends of my 'lesson learned' - and they were literally Crying.. 😂😂😂 Man - it took me YEARS to live that one down... 😂
Really - I wasn't 'that dumb' as a Teen - I just.... Totally flunked that 'Math quiz'... :ghostly:

Lmao, Thanks, Peanut.. :)
jd

Too funny… My dad was a tool & die marker and ran a shop. They had one of those so the first time I saw one, it was being used. I didn’t have to figure it out myself… brings up another memory. About ‘82 I worked at that shop as a welder, so that would have been the last year I saw one.

They didn’t have a full-time welder but had gotten a contract to resurface and rebuild parts of a “Long Wall Miner”, a form of coal mining. The “pan” of a long wall miner is just a fancy steel conveyor belt. The surface of the pan sections (about 4ft long) would wear out with tons of rock and steel being dragged over it daily. The pan sections joined together could be 1/4 mile long.

My job was to resurface the upper race. All I did was burn 7024 welding rods 8 hours each day to build up the metal surface. They hired me a helper to chip off flux and keep me supplied with rods. I remember they had to buy me new welding gloves about every 3 weeks. A new pair would cook in that amount of time. It was the only time I ever needed leather leggings for welding. The job lasted about 6 months. I don’t know how many rods I burned but it was many thousands of pounds.

Somewhere in West Virginia someone got a rebuilt long wall miner...

Long wall pan sm.jpg

OMG! you just reminded me of my first modem... 300 baud (bits per second).
Back then everything was text and I could read it faster than it would load.
Yes, we downloaded the messages, read them off line and then up-loaded our responses.It was real interesting when I first connected to the internet... it was all text too! I was paying 50 cents per CPU second through University of Washington. I had the world at my fingertips and I jumped from there to any college connected. I did find some stuff that required more clearance than I had. :rolleyes:

OMG! you just reminded me of my first modem... 300 baud (bits per second).
Back then everything was text and I could read it faster than it would load.
Yes, we downloaded the messages, read them off line and then up-loaded our responses.It was real interesting when I first connected to the internet... it was all text too! I was paying 50 cents per CPU second through University of Washington. I had the world at my fingertips and I jumped from there to any college connected. I did find some stuff that required more clearance than I had. :rolleyes:
Yes the days before browsers...

We would ftp an index of websites and look for interesting documents then ftp the file to read and then ftp our replies.

I was gifted a Unix system 4 manual when the AT&T system manager retired. It had a chapter that spoke of dialing in and listed baud rates of 60... and some sites have a 1800 baud...

The book itself was a hardcopy of the "man" command.

I was working for DEC (DEC, Texas Instruments and Xerox invented Ethernet) and had access to the internet and VAX's to use as I chose.

Sea Story Time!

While working second shift for a couple years when my son was young, I would spend any time I was not out on a service request learning to program and use computers. A fellow engineer had figured out how to run a Star Trek game written for a pdp 11 in compatiblity mode on a VAX.

He asked"Ben, why do you waste your time studying that software stuff when you can play games?"

After a few minutes and fewer words I figured out what file was tracking his Star Trek game state, copied it to a safe space and captured another copy a few seconds later. After quick binary compare I located the offset of the"time remaining" value and changed it to "-1".

Copied my file over his and he never had a game timeout on him.

I skip other stories for now but do you remember the phrase;

I got to the end of the internet.

?

Ben

Latest posts

Back