Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1607656157177.jpg

Jim

@LadyLocust
The one bottle we bought 15 years ago just never gets thrown out. Its crusty.😬

Jim
You two come on over. I'll make ya some sort Swiss steak 😄
I don't keep old things in fridge. Hubby likes hot mustard about once every other year. He has to get new every time because those little half eaten bottles just poof and disappear. Sadly, he would eat 2 year old mustard without thought 🙄

Has anyone lived long enough to buy a 2nd bottle of Worcestershire sauce?

Jim
The big bottle, 10oz, I'll use one of those every 2 months in warm weather when cooking outside a lot. 2 bottles will get me through the winter.

It's a great stand in for fish sauce when cooking asian dishes, fried rice, various stir fry dishes etc. It's like a cross between fish or better yet oyster sauce and soy sauce. Check the ingredients of those two then check worcestershire - vinegar, salt, onions, anchovies, tamarind and chili pepper extract. It's like the lite version of oyster sauce with a chili pepper kick and has the saltiness of soy sauce, great on asian dishes.

Has anyone lived long enough to buy a 2nd bottle of Worcestershire sauce?
I like it on pan fried (heavily seared) hamburger patties, served bun-less next to a pile of that el-cheapo blue box Kraft macaroni and cheese. It's apparently been about, oh, 9 years or so since I had that for dinner though.

I got curious and did a little research tonight… Worcestershire sauce is fermented anchovies w/several additives like vinegar, onions, garlic, even rumored to contain soy sauce.

It was created to mimic a fermented fish sauce common to Bengal India (only 700 miles from Thailand). Thailand, like Burma, Vietnam, southern China all have versions of fish sauce. Heck, even the ancient Romans had their own fermented fish sauce called “Garum”.

So I guess my instincts were correct when making fried rice one day and realized I was out of Thai fish sauce. I substituted Worcestershire sauce, it worked out fine. Far better than some of my experiments.

Sadly, he would eat 2 year old mustard without thought
Two years for mustard is nothing! We still have some from my daughter's outdoor wedding feast back in 2013. I think that's how they make brown mustard. You start out with yellow mustard and let it sit in the fridge for a few years. Still tastes the same to me though.

Latest posts

Back