• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

leather britches

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

timmie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i want to try leather britches as a way of preserving beans. has anyone ever done this and if so do you like this method? it would be a way to preserve without electricity.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I tried doing the string method with peppers a few years ago but where they touched on the line with eachother, they turned brown and started to rot. I had read about how the old timers would do this to dry so wanted to try it out but I am probably not in the best climate to do this since I am near the coast and have a high hot humidity level. You may have better results.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I tried doing the string method with peppers a few years ago but where they touched on the line with eachother, they turned brown and started to rot. I had read about how the old timers would do this to dry so wanted to try it out but I am probably not in the best climate to do this since I am near the coast and have a high hot humidity level. You may have better results.
That's how it's done out here in the desert. Try tying the string horizontal so the peppers don't touch??

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had them hanging in a sunny window tied to go across it but the line did sway downward with the weight of the peppers. I just never tried again but should have.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
That's how it's done out here in the desert. Try tying the string horizontal so the peppers don't touch??
I should say that's how its done out here in the desert where we usually have 6% to 15% humidity during a normal summer.

Davarm

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i want to try leather britches as a way of preserving beans. has anyone ever done this and if so do you like this method? it would be a way to preserve without electricity.
timmie, I tried it seven or eight years ago but didn't like them very much.

They lost a lot of flavor and were tougher than ones dried in a dehydrator.

They were edible and if you worked on the cooking a bit, they may be good way to go with them. I'm just spoiled with my dehydrators.

Latest posts

Group Builder