Let's talk about light bulbs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Remember all the talk about doing away with incandescent bulbs? Stores sell other kinds of bulbs I don't like, but online you can still purchase incandescent bulbs!
We've been using bulbs in the ceiling fan light that make a horrible noticeable high pitched scree noise, sounds like ringing in the ears. And a light track that has different type that also make a horrible sound.
One of my kids gets migraines from fluorescent lighting.

What kinds of light bulbs are you using and are you happy and satisfied with the result?

I have replaced almost all of my incandescent bulbs with LED.
They cost a little more but last a lot longer and they cost a fraction to power.
I replaced the lights in the kitchen with LED can lights and if we leave them on 24/7 it will cost about $12 for a year for all 6.
We have a light over the table that has 6 bulbs and I would have to replace at least 1 every couple of months.
Haven't had to change one in the year since I went LED. They are on a dimmer also.
I have also replaced all the bulbs in our motor home with LED. Went from 9 amps total usage to 4.
I found 4' LED bulbs at Lowe's on clearance for $9 for a 4 pack.
They work in just about any fluorescent shop light.

I haven't wanted to buy LED. Ever since word came out when Obama was in office that they were doing away with 100 watt light bulbs. So I bough 30 (2) packs of them at Dollar Store. Still using them. They were made by Sylvania. I won't buy GE because Obama wasn't making them pay taxes. I wasn't buying LED because they were made in China and toxic hazard to throw them away. My own private revolt only I noticed. Ha.

I switched 2 three way bulbs to LED about a month ago. I have to say that they are better than they used to be. The light quality is as good as incandescent. I found a deal at ACE Hardware about two months ago on 4' shop lights. I was sceptical because of the price. One of the guys took me to the back and showed me one in use. It was bright and looked good. I bought a case of them at $6.00 a piece. Yes. $6.00 each. They are very bright and will work very well in my shop.

I switched 2 three way bulbs to LED about a month ago. I have to say that they are better than they used to be. The light quality is as good as incandescent. I found a deal at ACE Hardware about two months ago on 4' shop lights. I was sceptical because of the price. One of the guys took me to the back and showed me one in use. It was bright and looked good. I bought a case of them at $6.00 a piece. Yes. $6.00 each. They are very bright and will work very well in my shop.

They work great in trouble lights ! no more getting out from under the truck because I bumped the dang thing !!

I use LED lights to photograph jewelry. It gives ME the best natural color to the pictures. DW makes jewelery and it is my job to photograph, load the pictures, update the inventory and sweep the floors (okay, she does the floors). Just looking for sympathy. :ghostly: I do like the color output and of course the energy / cost savings. I would not go back to incandescent or florescent. Jm2C

My house, shop, and garage only have LED bulbs. Except the oven light, even our microwave has LED. Our exterior lights are also LED. I am considering going off-grid and the LED's are the first step. Both my wife and I can see much better with the LED's.

we've been switching everything over to led. holy smokes! its like daytime over the kitchen sink now! wow! the light is so much better IMO
our outside lights are also led

LED light bulbs come in 100's of sizes, varieties, warmths and brightnesses. We have switched to all LED's except in our staircase lights (like movie theater aisle lights on every other step). Most of our interior lights are 3,00ok brightness to give us a warm light that is not too white, lumens range depending on purpose. We use the bright white 4,100k LED's in our kitchen and bathrooms however. Our exterior motions lights all produce an insane 3,000+ lumens (1,500 per lamp) at 5000k brightness (equivalent to daylight) and draw very little energy in comparison to our old lamps. We buy most of our LED bulbs at either stores like Lowes or Home Depot or we order them from Amazon from well reviewed sellers.

Wife is afraid of what could be lurking in the shadows so when her kitchen was built we had twelve million 150 watt flood lights installed. When I'd come home from work and find all the kitchen lights on and she's nowhere to be found my blood pressure would test the strength of my arteries. I hate paying the Power Company more money then necessary. I replaced the 150 watt flood bulbs with screwed in LEDs. Like others have posted and faction of what the power cost was. My arteries thanked me.

Then the is the hanging chandelier above the breakfast table. I replaced those 6 bulbs with LEDs too. But I made the mistake of guessing wrong on the light output. LEDs are too bright, glare off the table so we rarely use it now. Which is another lost for the Power Company and a win for my arteries!

About 2 1/2 years ago we moved into this house there was one 4' fluorescent fixture in the kitchen and three in the garage, each with four bulbs for a total of 160 watts for each fixture. I replaced the bulbs early on with 2 4'LED bulbs in each fixture for a total of 37 watts in each fixture or a better than 75% reduction of power consumption, greater light output, and no humming.

I have replaced some of the other fixtures with the screw in LED's but others are still the curly-Q fluorescents.

I was given a dozen 100W incandescent bulbs 10+ years ago and I guard them. In places where you want both heat and light these are invaluable.

Last edited:
Back