Lets talk vacuum sealing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be fantastic!
I will break down any animal for my pets but I won't for us. Chickens are all I will do for our own consumption. I will dispatch and 1/4 my own for the processor but thats as far as I go on anything else. It's a plan for the future though. Raise and process everything here on site.
Good plan! We do all our own and i have mobile setups for both poultry and red meat critters. So i make money doing it too. Maybe something you could make a buck at? Either way you will at least not have to pay for the butchering too.

Thanks we will certainly get one of these. We usually can our meat in jars and this will be good for beans,rice,etc.

Do you use oxygen absorbers with this?

I do not,

and I have tested product at 5 years old ...no problems,
Since we got too old and feeble to do the big garden ...we have 100s of quart and pint fruit jars,

Lids are reusable and cheap at Freds or Dollar General.
like 10 cents each, I think.

Jim

We have a Kenmore Seal-n-Save. Been using it for 10 years.

Here's a 5 year old bag of Swedish Fish. Part of an experiment I did in 2012 Still soft and pliable.

P1030187.JPG

My spereance...
Bought a col mist humidifier from HSN for $79,
Wanted another one... checked Amazon.. bought another one for $42.00.:cool:

Go figger..:dunno:

Jim
Not saying you can't get good prices. You just have to watch for price gouging. I use interdental brushes. When I was placing a reorder they pulled up some that were twice the price. I had to track down the vendor I had used in the past. Another was looking for Chemex coffee filters and for some reason they doubled in price. I found them at Chemex for the price he had been paying.

Good plan! We do all our own and i have mobile setups for both poultry and red meat critters. So i make money doing it too. Maybe something you could make a buck at? Either way you will at least not have to pay for the butchering too.

I just want to be able to process anything that I've take myself.
Although I could make a killing (ha! ha! ha!) at being a mobile butcher these days. Multiple have gone out of business due to retirement and cancer and left us having one come in from 3 hours away. Part of why I want to do everything in house. The last guy we had took forever and when I say he butchered the steer it wasn't in a good way.

Product and price searches always include manufactures / brand site. Amazon is very tricky at times and so is Ebay. Buyer beware.
I was going to sat the same thing but thought maybe I shouldn't.:D.

I just read about the wheelers and dealers today at Amazon. Bed bugs, used clothing,etc. I was going to put it up. Seems like they are also trying to monopolize the food markets too. That Besos 'spl' guy is a real piece of work. :Thankyou:

I just want to be able to process anything that I've take myself.
Although I could make a killing (ha! ha! ha!) at being a mobile butcher these days. Multiple have gone out of business due to retirement and cancer and left us having one come in from 3 hours away. Part of why I want to do everything in house. The last guy we had took forever and when I say he butchered the steer it wasn't in a good way.
Little butcher humor there, i like it! There are definitely some real hack jobs out there. I had a lady ask me how long my pig ribs were. I didn't know what she was talking about. Then she explained that she asked the last butcher for short ribs and he cut all the ribs into 4 inch pieces. I just pointed to the cut chart and said no no no this is a short rib. Some people don't belong behind a blade.....

Little butcher humor there, i like it! There are definitely some real hack jobs out there. I had a lady ask me how long my pig ribs were. I didn't know what she was talking about. Then she explained that she asked the last butcher for short ribs and he cut all the ribs into 4 inch pieces. I just pointed to the cut chart and said no no no this is a short rib. Some people don't belong behind a blade.....
I couldn't help myself! :LOL:
I don't even know what to say! That's ridiculous!
I've heard horror stories from clients before. I try not to talk bad about people but darn it I don't like crooks! Good for you for showing her the truth!

Now the magic question from the Lizard man who knows nothing about VAC Sealing machines. Can the bags of different companies be used on different machines. I.E. : Food Saver machine and Vac Master bags?
yes. There are only 2 kinds available here and they both work on my food saver. I mostly use the jar attachment though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used my Food Saver to seal bags that were not typical. It might be able to heat seal mylar as long as mylar can be heat sealed.

So as a scientist I've always wondered if it is the oxygen that is lowering the storage life of your food why not displace the O2 with CO2? You could use a sealed container partially filled with water and a Walmart Alka seltzer tablet to produce the carbon dioxide and then feed the gas into a zip lock bag containing your food. Allow the zip lock to fill up and then press all the air out around the hose. Do this as many time as the CO2 can fill the ziplock and then slip the tube out and seal the ziplock. You would have displaced enough O2 that no aerobic decomposition will occur and as long as it's frozen no anaerobic decomposition will happen either. This could also be done using dry ice which sublimates into CO2 but might be harder to get in rural places.

We have a GameSaver by FoodSaver. I bought the jar sealers with it but haven't used them yet. I got it right after Roo was born as a Valentine's gift. We use it often to seal meat. I use the heat sealer on it to seal up mylar bags as well. Have yet to replace the seals but that is coming soon. If the seals are kept clean and dry they work beautifully. Bags may be a bit on the pricier side but Costco has them in stock and if you watch the sales at FoodSaver.com you can get a killer deal.

I have a couple of foodsaver units and they will not get hot enuf to seal the thicker Mylar. You can use the 02 absorbers in the Mylar bags but if you cannot get a good seal......

I do a double row of heat seals with my FoodSaver on mylar. Never had any issues or leaks. So far all the bags I have sealed with it are still sealed and look like they are vacuum packed because of the O2 absorber. Nice and TIGHT!

I have also used a cheap $5 iron to seal mylar with a thick metal ruler under the bag. Those are also still sealed but they don't look as pretty or neat.

I have this attachment as well. It was an excellent investment. I don't use it alot, but I love how it vacuum seals jars.

There attachments are great. One tip, unless they fixed it, the small/regular mouth one needs an extra lid inside. One for the jar one for the attachment. They made it just a bit to big to work with 1 lid like it should. I use an old bent up lid as the second lid.

Latest posts

Back