Listeriosis? Anyone cured a goat with this?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LastO

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
One of my goats had it this past summer. It was awful. I tried everything to save her but lost her in the end. The cure calls for heavy doses of antibiotics and thiamine. Tubing liquids. Saw a bit of improvement on the 3rd or 4th day then downhill from there. Anyone had any luck saving one?

After 30 years with goats ... We never had to deal with it. (sorry) But on a search I found ...

Treatment - Administration of Procaine penicillin every six hours for three to five days, then daily for an additional seven days.

After 30 years with goats ... We never had to deal with it. (sorry) But on a search I found ...

Treatment - Administration of Procaine penicillin every six hours for three to five days, then daily for an additional seven days.

That's info worth keeping. Thanks.

By the end of the week the poor goat was a pincushion. You are giving 4 shots of pen a day as well as 4 good heavy doses of Thiamine. That is 8 shots a day for 4 days straight. (It is actually even more because you shouldn't run that many CCs of pen into one location and doses should be split up into more injections.) Also tubing liquids into her. It sucks. the treatment takes over a month and then there could be a relapse.

This is an exerpt from Onion Creek Ranch website:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

TREATMENT involves administration of high doses of procaine penicillin (300,000 International Units) every six hours on a 24-hour cycle. Higher-than-normal dosage of procaine penicillin is needed to cross the blood- brain barrier to maintain sufficiently high levels of antibiotic in the blood stream to kill the bacteria. I use 10 cc procaine penicillin per 100 pounds bodyweight (double the normal dosage). I give procaine penicillin SQ over the ribs with an 18 gauge needle so the goat doesn't become a pin cushion from repeated injections and try not to give more than 6 cc per injection site, so I divide up high dosages. I also give Vitamin B 1 (Thiamine) injections, dosing at 5 cc per 100 pounds liveweight for 100 mg/ml thiamine every 6 hours. I start giving thiamine into the muscle (IM) and then change to SQ injections after five days. Thiamine of 100 mg/ml strength is required. The only injectable over-the-counter product with 100 mg/ml of thiamine is Fortified Vitamin B Complex. Prescription thiamine (Vitamin B1) is available only from a vet. Injections get the medications into the blood stream faster, and quick treatment is critical with this disease. Thiamine is an appropriate addition to treatment of any sick goat. Very Important: Continue procaine penicillin and thiamine injections for 24 hours after the last symptom has disappeared to avoid a relapse.

Listeriosis can be brought on by feeding silage/haylage, suddenly changing type and kind of feed (grain or hay), parasites, dramatic weather changes, and advanced stages of pregnancy. The encephalitic form is most common, causing inflammation of the nerves in the goat's brain stem. Symptoms include some or all of the following: depression, decreased appetite, fever, leaning or stumbling or moving in one direction only, head pulled to flank with rigid neck (similar to symptoms of tetanus and advanced dehydration), facial paralysis on one side, blindness, "slack jaw," and drooling. Diarrhea is present only in the strain of Listeriosis which causes abortions and pregnancy toxemia. Listeriosis can be mistaken for rabies. Immediate treatment is critical. There is no time to waste with Listeriosis. Recovery is more difficult and time-consuming than Goat Polio. A goat can go blind and completely recover its eyesight and overall health if proper treatment is provided; such treatment can take days or even weeks, depending upon the severity of the illness and how quickly treatment is started.

Clean out your feed trays daily. The only thing I can think of that could have possibly caused this is grain that got wet in a feed tray.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back