Long term, unstable, threats.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I - believe - you have a decent Drone, correct? Maybe look into one that - Could - 'fly / transmit That Far', if it had to? (I know several 'Mavic Pro's should do it (even With the 'noisy terrain' / trees, etc) And, I also know Those are a $everal-K investment (and, what if it crashes, etc o_O ) but.. Would Certainly seem a 'valid Investment', for relieving You of precious time / energy, while still performing such Important 'recon'.. Again, just a thought.

Lots more to say but this I can respond to right now. It's HIGHLY illegal to fly a drone near a fire, what is more, the fire aircraft stop flying if they find out people are flying drones near a fire.

What I did end up using a lot, was someone on the other side of the valley had a thermal webcam, and they set it up facing the fire, that site was essentially just running in my house 24/7. It was useful, but nothing beats actual eyes on the threat.

..this I can respond to right now. It's HIGHLY illegal to fly a drone near a fire, what is more, the fire aircraft stop flying if they find out people are flying drones near a fire.

Well, Sure, and I certainly Agree with 'Eyes-On being Best', but.. As I'm sure you'd agree, 'In War, the "Usual Rules" change' (and this was Most-Certainly "War" o_O ) so I'd Bet that - You, in particular - Could, indeed 'find a way to be compliant' / not stand-down the Air-Cav - while - using such daft-Tech to Help your Fam-situ (the First, and Foremost Priority, even Over the 'FAA Regs', etc..)

..ie: Keep yer 'flight ceiling' at maybe 50' or something So low, NO craft would ever fly (unless Landing, of course, which they're obviously Not doing in the middle of the Pines, etc.. ;) But, 50' (or maybe even 75-100') would sure give You a 'better perspective' - more Often - than you Could 'take the Time' to go do a moto-scout..

..And, if yer worried about them - by chance - Spotting it / You being the 'cause' of them stopping flights, well.. Then do yer Drone-recon Outside the 'core flight windows', ie: dusk / dawn.. (I mean, they're not flying / dropping outside Good Daylight.. Right? 🤔

Anyway, just a thought (to alleviate the 'Go / Do', at least Some of the times..) Then again, as I always think.. I'd sure Hate to lose a $5-6K drone up in the Pines! o_O Not easily replaced..

jd

Latest posts

Back