Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple more aircraft shots.

B25 Mitchell

B25 Mitchell.jpg

Curtiss P-36 Hawk

Curtiss P-36 Hawk.png

F4U-5 Corsair

F4U-5 Corsair.jpeg

Ha! I was looking through old photos of my parents. I thought I lost this original years ago. How it ended up in their stuff I don't know.

This is the launch of a Nato Sea Sparrow missile. A guy from tx actually snapped the picture. He flinched when the missile fired and caught this.

missile 03.jpg

Ha! I was looking through old photos of my parents. I thought I lost this original years ago. How it ended up in their stuff I don't know.

This is the launch of a Nato Sea Sparrow missile. A guy from tx actually snapped the picture. He flinched when the missile fired and caught this.

View attachment 106531
Wow!

What ship was he on?

I was on the USS Detroit AOE-4 when it earned it's 1st battle E award. I was ordered to do the final fine tuning prior to the sea trials. Earner the nickname "fireballs" after we destroyed multiple drones with telemetry birds.

Ben

The missile shot was aboard my ship, uss briscoe dd977. As a destroyer we maintained a level of battle readiness. Every time we put to sea (which was often) we were testing or qualifying some piece of gear. We had multiple weapon systems.

This photo was taken through a blast proof observation window. On a dd that window is in the missle control room, across the passageway from a missile magazine.

Last edited:
This is the Chez Light, that’s what sailors called it. The Chesapeake Light was it’s name, marks the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay.. I’ve seen it many times from the decks of a destroyer. Moving in/out from Norfolk and the Atlantic, at night too. Always a welcoming sight when coming home.

Funny, back then there was always a Russian listening ship a few miles past the chez light, international waters of course. They’d just creep north then south then… Every us navy ship passing by would make their job difficult if possible. Pretty sure it was a standing order!! 😁

We were coming back from the antilles. Met another destroyer also coming in. Anyway, the captains played “joke” on the listening ship. There was a heavy fog, we made a sandwich out of the Ruski’s, very-very close. At the signal both destroyers came into view out of the fog and blasted them with fire control radars. Most powerful radar systems on the ships. Those Ruski’s were replacing gear for days. 🤣 All their highly sensitive, electronic listening devices went up in smoke.

They were still using tube electronics in those days. Being a tech myself I almost felt sorry for them. Didn't last long... 🤣🤣

The ol light house became a Noaa weather station in the 90’s.

Chez Lightsm.JPG

Last edited:
Been scanning old photos onto my desktop. Found a few from a time I barely remember...
Went looking for a map of this place ‘Great Lakes Naval Training Command’. My stay there was eventful to say the least. I’d forgotten how much fun I had, it was a blast! X in the photo below was my building, I think. It’s been a few years…

For non-navy - company commander CC (an E-8), assistant company commander ACC (e6), guys awaiting instruction AI (temp jobs before a class starts) – Quarters, morning formation by company. This was a school command, training electronics techs. Everyone was on temp duty or there a few months at most. I was assigned to a company with 4-man bunk rooms. Every floor in the barracks had a few petty officers, e-4/6. The other 130guys in the company were e-3’s.

One warm january day I finished a navy school in Orlando Fl. The next morning I was in great lakes il. This southern boy had never experienced anything like the wind off lake michigan in january. I wondered, why would anyone live up here? At least now I knew why the birds fly south, smart!

One week later I broke my neck (unrelated to the weather). Was taken out of school but the navy isn’t going to let anyone lay around... After a week or so they made me the company clerk, or yeoman. I was also given non-duty status (no standing watches). I had 140 guys to look after with a CC and an ACC to answer too.

Unlike temp AI clerks in other companies I was clerk for 10 months and soon became the unofficial “radar oreilly” for the whole battalion. Not because I was smart, I was just the only guy who’d been there long enough to know how it all worked!

I had a blast!! I became the guy who could get you anything, passes for early chow, liberty or... the right papers for your leave, correct form for any occasion. I could get you the battalion truck for a supply run or rent you my truck. Could even get you a ride to O’hare airport. I also got calls from other companies who needed things, my cc didn’t mind. As long as his paperwork was completed before he arrived each morning he was happy.

Then came the day I was medically ready to return to classes. With it came 4 section duty, and midnight watches, regular navy. Except that part didn’t happen, my CC intervened with battalion. He made sure I kept my job as yeoman/clerk and remained in a non-duty status. Guess I succeeded at becoming indispensable.

Now I was a full time student and the company clerk. Being yeoman actually took more time than regular duty. I had an hour of paper work each morning. But evenings were free and I was off every weekend. I stayed in the barracks most weeknights anyway. I could prep a weeks worth of paperwork in a couple hours. Just fill in the numbers later and sign it. Or new guys checking in? Take 10mins to process their paperwork and get them a bunk and assignments. The freedom and perks were worth a little extra time.

Hey, as long as the company ran smoothly my cc and acc didn’t care what I did. Actually the acc was my drinking buddy too! As long as there were no serious problems, plenty of toilet paper and most importantly - no complaints from battalion about anything. They were happy!

It could get bumpy… I remember a guy, an E6, old navy who would get physical in a blink, lets call him PA. He had been busted from Chief/E7 for punching someone (I read his file). Now he’s an E6 again and pissed off at everyone. Meaning it rolls down hill! He did not take crap from subordinates, none. In fact took he great pleasure in berating people for the slightest infraction.

There was a petty officer’s lounge in the barracks. Had a nice tv, movies and food was allowed. Sailors E-4 and above were welcome (only 8-10guys). I was an E-3 but was still welcome due to mutually beneficial relationships, I made their life easier. It was a nice perk

I was welcome until the day PA arrived at the company… He hit the roof, physically shoved me out the lounge. Technically he was right, it was a petty officer’s lounge and I wasn’t a petty officer. He also learned I was non-duty status, unheard of… my very existence offended every military nerve cell in his body. It took a few days but he figured out that I was the guy he had to rely on for everything, his assignments, even TP!!! So, I was allowed back in the lounge, he’d glare at me occasionally but didn’t speak of it again.

Too funny!!! 3 years later I’m on a destroyer in Norfolk va, we just returned to port. As usual we got a few new guys aboard. I was on my way to chow and saw one. It was PA! He pointed at me and shouted “Not You Again!”. (I think he remembered me 🤣)

We actually became friends after that, he’d mellowed some. He even invited me to go bear hunting with him, a good guy. He made chief again before I left the ship, was happy for him. The navy needed sailors like him - old, grumpy and by the book (and not above beating you with it).

I had an amazing time at Great Lakes but don’t get the wrong idea. I take every job I do seriously, until it’s time not to. I looked after all my guys, if there was a grey area or a rule that needed to bend a little... I made sure the break went to the sailor, no matter their rank. The endless questions and reqests could get annoying but one of the perks… I could drive off base anytime I wished and leave it behind (my girlfriend had an apartment).

Okay, one more perk. A few AI guys were assigned to the barracks each day. They cleaned, mopped, waxed and buffed all the common areas, hallways etc. I had a side deal with their boss. Instead of the waiting list, I could get him a truck to pick up maintenance and cleaning supplies at his convenience. In return he had his AI guys mop my 4-man bunk room daily, wax and buff as needed. I had another deal with my 3 roommates. I took care of the floor, they took care of everything else, all the other cleaning, the trash and making bunks every morning etc. (I got up an hour before them, they didn’t want me turning on all the lights to make my bunk)

Basically, I occasionally arranged for the use of a truck. In return I didn’t have to clean my room or make my bunk for 10 months *, yet I had the best looking room in the barracks. Yes, being clerk had its perks!!! Best part, my boss knew along with everyone else. No one cared!!!

Oh… my broken neck, had to wear a metal cage 3 months and then a hard collar. Glad when it came off for good. No lasting injury, used to have pain when it rained. My knees hurt worse than that now!!!

Edit to add... * after my injury it was a month before I was allowed to carry my tray at the chow hall. No lifting anything for months. So I couldn't help my room mates clean our room. When I got the chance to contribute I did. Besides, the floor was the biggest job, mops, buckets, wax and buffers were a pain. I was glad I could take over that chore by making deals. My room mates loved the deal too! :)

GrtLktraincntr a s .jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back