Need a new router.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't bought a router in a long while (I guess that means I picked good ones way back when, because they just keep on going...)

The routers I have that have lasted forever are:

ASUS RT-N66U (2.4 and 5GHz)
ASUS RT-N12 D1 (2.4GHz only)

I've got a couple of each of these. They are all running third-party firmware, specifically "Tomato by Shibby" firmware (an older variant, but it works, is dead solid reliable, so I see no need to upgrade).

The RT-N66U is my main router, and it currently has 37 devices hooked to it (either Ethernet or WiFi). It hosts one main LAN and three additional virtual LANS. And two VPN servers. It runs a DNS server and firewall. The RT-N12's I have configured as additional access points - to extend my WiFi range to outside, and one far corner of the house.

These routers are old, and I'm sure you wouldn't be able to find them for sale anymore. But, they are the only ones I have to report one. Solid as a rock with the Tomato firmware, I don't know about with OEM firmware, because I never gave that a chance and installed Tomato from the very beginning.

I have a couple Netgear gigabit routers, they have served me well, but nothing fancy and they would be considered old by anyone's standard. I am all old school hardwired here.....

I have a couple Netgear gigabit routers, they have served me well, but nothing fancy and they would be considered old by anyone's standard. I am all old school hardwired here.....
The apple router backup is an ancient D-link with 8 hardwire ports. :antiqueauto:

Over the last several years, I've been very happy with my Netgear routers (I'm currently running 3 of them).
Not cheap (They start at about $170) but if you need range, I highly recommend the Netgear Nighthawk. I can connect from over 400' away.

Latest posts

Back