Nuclear War & Survival Help

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that is a picture from David Koresh's compound in Waco? Or maybe just a copy cat. Not enough cover on that roof for radiation protection. No 90 degree turns at the entrance to keep out gamma particles either. Cute idea but, for a nuke event...fail.

At least a dug-in bus would give blast protection..:)

I once dug a fallout shelter / bunker using a bucket and a shovel . I dug underneath a thick concrete slab that I had poured , Tore down an old chimney and took cement and made brick steps down into it , then walled it up with cinder blocks . My mistake was the ground water table fluctuated and at times water would rise up into it . I mention this so perhaps I can save someone else from making that mistake .-- I have since moved away from that fallout shelter / bunker . I still own it but moved to another state and started over with my survival preparations .

At least a dug-in bus would give blast protection..:)

It would but unless you are within 10 -20 miles of ground zero, not needed and if you are within that ring where blast wave is a concern...fire and fallout are going to be bigger issues long term. If the blast wave didn't get you fire and radiation will.

Last edited:
I agree, RC&D- I think an EMP is more likely than a full out nuclear war.

...at least, my personal belief is that there will be a full out nuclear war, but I believe me and mine will be gone by then. :) I'm more concerned with preparing for the economic and societal collapse, personally.

I anticipate a combination with a " total EMP campaign " , accompanied by a few select Nuclear targets on places like Washington DC combined with conventional strikes on severing the transportation by striking bridges as well as destroying aircraft runways . The enemy wants the spoils of war such as agriculture producing ground . They have no desire to ruin the targeted countries resources with radiation .-- That is one reason I consider a well prepared person likely would survive a nuclear conflict . Being out of the blast area and having the ability of self-sufficiency without the electrical grid , running water , transportation or stores in my opinion is the key .

I anticipate a combination with a " total EMP campaign " , accompanied by a few select Nuclear targets on places like Washington DC combined with conventional strikes on severing the transportation by striking bridges as well as destroying aircraft runways . The enemy wants the spoils of war such as agriculture producing ground . They have no desire to ruin the targeted countries resources with radiation .-- That is one reason I consider a well prepared person likely would survive a nuclear conflict . Being out of the blast area and having the ability of self-sufficiency without the electrical grid , running water , transportation or stores in my opinion is the key .
So if I understand this projection, it goes something like this. Bad guy uses HEMP and a few regular atomic bombs to reap the spoils of victory. The Good Guys only have regular atomic bombs to use. Gee, I guess the good guys will hold back, to save the planet. NOT! As I see it, once the nuclear war starts, all bets are off the table and all nations will use what ever they have in response. The country that uses the HEMP attack and only a few nuclear bombs, is going to get wiped off the face of the earth. I don't see any type of limited nuclear war. It will be all or nothing.

There are a few of us who could brave the wild and have done it; complainers need not apply.

With you on that assessment! The Russians and especially the Chinese want our land and resources. Nuking us would spoil the lands. Send an EMP or two, wait about a year and we destroy ourselves.

..The Russians and especially the Chinese want our land and resources. Nuking us would spoil the lands. Send an EMP or two, wait about a year and we destroy ourselves.

Yeah nuking a country would cause mass starvation because survivors couldn't eat irradiated crops.
Also, radiation drifts across borders into friendly countries and could even drift back into the launch country which is another reason why nuke war should be a no-no because there'll be no winners, just losers, except for preppers/survivalists..:)
PS- Here's a map of the Chernobyl cockup showing how radiation is fickle and drifts depending on wind direction, a Brit newsreader said at the time "..and now for the weather report, as I'm sure we're all interested in which way the wind is blowing"..:)

chernobyl_location2.jpg

chernob-kaku.jpg

Last edited:
It would but unless you are within 10 -20 miles of ground zero, not needed and if you are within that ring where blast wave is a concern...fire and fallout are going to be bigger issues long term. If the blast wave didn't get you fire and radiation will.

Yeah I heard ordinary soil around you gives good radiation protection, this guy is digging his container shelter into a hillside..:)-

shtf-Bunker-AAA.jpg

Yeah I heard ordinary soil around you gives good radiation protection, this guy is digging his container shelter into a hillside..:)-

View attachment 18132

Again, this would not be an ideal shelter from a nuclear blast.

I was born after the Cuban Missile crisis and so I saw a lot of public and private fall out shelters growing up. Two examples: My small college theater (1200 students total), in the basement of my dormitory which itself was built into a hillside, doubled as a fall out shelter; Family friends had a fall out shelter in the basement of their old farmhouse. They all had things in common.

I found this website that specializes in this sort of thing and they have a pretty good summary of the must haves that I routinely saw:

If you choose to purchase an 'All Hazard Shelter', ask the provider if the shelter design meets the following criteria.​

Does the bunker provide critical radiation attenuation properties?​

• Small diameter entrances.
  • Entrances with both vertical and long horizontal components connected with a 90-degree turn, assuring the proper attenuation of gamma radiation.
  • Long horizontal runs providing an area in the entrance for the required 6 feet of shielding assuring protection from initial radiation.
  • Shielding over the bunker chamber equivalent to 4 feet of dirt cover for gamma radiation, and at least 8 feet of dirt cover in blast areas, for shielding against initial radiation.
https://utahsheltersystems.com/unde...ion is more penetrating than gamma radiation.
The small diameter entrances were not always a thing (fire codes for a theater mandate large exits) but, then there was not just one 90 degree turn, there were two or three with a set of heavy doors at the end..

Last edited:
And of course, the fewer people who know we've got a shelter the better..:)
Below: from the 'Twilight Zone' episode 'The Shelter'-

1- A jolly evening meal for family and friends, what could go wrong?
2- Radio newsreader- "Incoming nuke missiles, get into your shelters!"
3- Neighbour- "Let us in, we're your mates!"
Home owner-"F*ck off, there's not enough room!"
4- "Let's batter our way in!"
5- Newsreader- "False alarm!"
6- Householder- "P*ss off you b*stards!"

shtf-shelter-1.gif

shtf-shelter-2.gif

And of course, the fewer people who know we've got a shelter the better..:)
Below: from the 'Twilight Zone' episode 'The Shelter'-

1- A jolly evening meal for family and friends, what could go wrong?
2- Radio newsreader- "Incoming nuke missiles, get into your shelters!"
3- Neighbour- "Let us in, we're your mates!"
Home owner-"F*ck off, there's not enough room!"
4- "Let's batter our way in!"
5- Newsreader- "False alarm!"
6- Householder- "P*ss off you b*stards!"

View attachment 18133
View attachment 18134

I loved that episode. It was one of my favorites as a kid. Introduction to OPSEC 101.

One of the things that we know about nuclear shelters is that you can have 4’ of dirt or three feet of concrete overhead. OR you could have a foot or more of concrete and then cover it with dirt. If you are close to the blast zone, the possibly of overpressure from a blast wave causing a cave in of your shelter roof, is a real danger so the construction of your ceiling is very important.

Domed ceilings are stronger than flat and concrete is more solid than wood.

The advantages of concrete underground is that it does not rot or leak. The downside is that it also does not breathe so condensation from respiration can be a problem without adequate ventilation.

Building a solid concrete ceiling DIY though, is difficult, or so I thought until I watch an episode, can't remember the name of the show, but they built a hobbit house.

The ceiling was arched concrete. The way they did it was they excavated, built the walls, then used rebar to tie into the walls. Filled in the excavation site to mound the dirt in the middle, basically burying the walls up to the ceiling height, using the dirt as their mold, then poured the concrete. After it had cured, they simply excavated out the dirt from beneath. Presto! Concrete ceiling!

Of course you would want to run your venting and such before the pour. Keeping in mind that you want your air intake low and your outflow venting high.

I also see a lot of detached shelters where they have these telltale pipes sticking up like a flashing neon sign. Camouflage people! Plant an evergreen bush around your pipes and do what you can to hide your entrance and exit points!

Last edited:
Ahh. The Fukushima map explains why there are so many idiots on the west coast. Brain damage.

Nahhh. They were there long before Fukushima. Generational drug use.

The fewer people who know we're survivalists, the better..:)
True story- In my cycling club days 40 years ago we entered a 100-mile Reliability Trial in the dead of winter, and like an idiot I was showing off my small rucksack full of food and drink before the start.
Guess what?- yup, ill-prepared starving dehydrated people kept pedalling up to me to beg stuff from my rucksack but i refused pointblank, telling them i'd only got enough for myself.
That didn't make me many friends but I didn't care, and they were dropping out like flies all round the course, and only me and a few others finished the course..:)
Below:- me in my cycling glory days-

glory days.jpg

And useful advice on preparation for all preppers is-
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize" (Bible: 1 Corinthians 9:24)
The "prize" of course is to be one of the last men standing when things hit the fan..:)

Yes, and there are a set of "preppers" whose main prepping plans include gathering enough guns, ammo and create a group to take things from other people!
They are raiders and they will be out there when TSHTF.

I have been doing this a while now; as in all of my adult life, so am pretty well set for me and mine. Once that was set, I began formulating a plan regarding charity and/or taking some additional people into our group.

Scenario: You go to the nearest town to trade and you encounter a surgeon and his family who are refugees. Things are not crazy yet (as in the golden horde from the cities haven't hit you yet) but, you get to talking to the guy and he is legit. He spent time in the military and can handle a weapon. You share common values and he seems like he and his wife would be a good add to the group. What do you do?

Scenario: There is an elderly couple that lives in your area. He is a retired farmer but, his wife had a stroke ten years before that left her largely incapacitated. He has a heart condition and arthritis that has kept him from doing a whole lot of farming the last few years he has spent most of his time caring for his wife. They didn't have a lot of money to do much prepping. This past summer their well stopped working and their small garden died off. Now they are running short on food.

War gaming these kind of what ifs and then discussing them amongst yourselves is important.

Let 'em come if they dare..:)

View attachment 18137

Lots of juicy targets out there, right Johnny?

LOL. I'm not Rambo or anything close to it, though I do know a couple of them ;). Our first defense will be to lay as low as possible and not borrow trouble unless it borrows us first. Then there are pre-planned options beyond that.

Keeping our humanity and our values will be a challenge unless we think through things ahead of time. Once we lose those things, we become no better than those "bad guys".

Like I said, I have been at this for a while. For me, it isn't just about surviving anymore (that is an obvious pre-requisite for the next part), it is about coming out on the other side of it to rebuild society...and better yet, have my grandchildren come out of it on the other side with the skills and wisdom to do a better job than we have done.

Last edited:
There are a few of us who could brave the wild and have done it; complainers need not apply.

As for nuke preps. Potassium Iodide is just the start. Radiation poisoning happens because the radiation can piggy-back on certain vitamins/minerals/elements and thus, get absorbed into the body. By making sure your nutritional gas tank is full up so to speak, you can minimize the effect. It is the concept behind taking KI.

I would have to go back and look at my notes as to which does what but, we keep on hand N-acetyl, L-Tyrosine, melatonin, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Calcium, amongst others.

Regarding the Mississippi, firmly planted on the west side as recommended by JWR.

Extra supply of diesel stored, Four runners, Dirt bikes, UTV and horses also an option.

One location for if the prevailing winds are from the North, east or west, another safe location if the winds are from due N, E, W or S. Most (NE, SW, NW, SE) probably good on the second from any direction really due to remoteness. Could be in a "safe zone" within 15 to travel between and not have to cross through a hot zone. Bug out bag, animals, and go. Supplies enough at both locations.
Dont forget KI tablets!!!

Dont forget KI tablets!!!

Yes, We also have KI in various dosages. The children cannot take the same amount as an adult. Infants cannot take the same amount as a child etc..

LOL. I'm not Rambo or anything close to it, though I do know a couple of them ;). Our first defense will be to lay as low as possible and not borrow trouble unless it borrows us first. Then there are pre-planned options beyond that.
Rambo, Smambo.
Opposite of gray man.
I'll be much more like this than like Rambo:
BarrieSniper9.jpg

I have already done a test run when my area saw an invasion of panicked out of state people descend into my area , when covid 19 first came into the United States . I slept outside " armed " guarding my milk goats and giving me the advantage of being where the enemy would not expect me to be , such as in a comfortable bed . On one high danger night Me , my grandson and a on duty deputy sheriff were spread out waiting in the darkness for a marauder . We learned from that experience and have since fortified our defenses even stronger .

Maybe China and Russia can split Ukraine.
NOBODY WANTS UKRAINE ANY MORE...it is just a bombed out shell of what it used to be, millions of refugees not wanting to go back to NOTHING LEFT, the rich will return to celebrate WINNING after only living in Switzerland for a while or Monaco, the minefields will take a hundred years to clean up, the tens of thousands of lonely women have to rebuild what the stupid men screwed up and bombed out, the children will a be shell-shocked for years to come and the millenials will just go back into their cellars to PLAY WAR GAMES on their computers again.....leaving the old and older again to fend for themselves on their own little piece of land to be able to eat enough again....like a hundred years ago...

Latest posts

Back