Pet names

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is actually kinda interesting to read. I don't like it when critters are named people names. (yea, I'm probably just weird.)
Our dog now is Rip - short for seam ripper. He had little needle teeth when he was a puppy.
Last dog was Purdy because she wasn't too purdy when we got her.
Had a cat named Cat. Had a fish named Slimy.
My bunny I have now is Hucklebunny.

Lieba (german for love) was the hardest. I posted a picture here and 2 weeks after it was taken she died of a heart condition we never knew she had. She was just over a year old. My wife was inconsolable for quite a while.

Attachments

• KIMG0559.JPG
    KIMG0559.JPG
    977.7 KB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0105.JPG
    KIMG0105.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
When I was little my popa called me Drucey Drawers my most loved dog ever was Little miss drucey drawers. I have a Chorkie named Ava and rat terrier named dumplin.She was just so small when I got her dumplin just fit. She is 10. When we get Ava a dog I want it to be blonde and name it Dolly Pardon. So Ava will have a Dolly. I picked Ava because I wanted a granddaughter named Ava.

We have a miniature wiener dog chihuahua mix, a Chiweenie. When he was born he was huge and his mother weighed 4 pounds. The kids saw him and said what a fat boy. Been called that his whole life. He weighs around 12 pounds now. We also got his half-sister 6 months later and she was called Tiny. She weighed 20 pounds at one time due to medication she had to have. She got down to 18 before we had to have her put down.

When I was little my popa called me Drucey Drawers my most loved dog ever was Little miss drucey drawers. I have a Chorkie named Ava and rat terrier named dumplin.She was just so small when I got her dumplin just fit. She is 10. When we get Ava a dog I want it to be blonde and name it Dolly Pardon. So Ava will have a Dolly. I picked Ava because I wanted a granddaughter named Ava.

That is funny.I was talking with my wife the other night about dogs. We would like to get two large dogs - probably "bear dogs" or other medium large breed. I want two females because they tend to be more devoted and better protective dogs. I told my wife we could name one Dolly and the other Parton. They would be the dynamic duo of the ranch. She liked the idea.

We have:

Teddy Ruxpin: Mostly Australian Shepard, probably some Chow, and who knows what else. Smartest dog I have ever had.

Bailey: Oldest cat in the house, her color is like Bailey Irish Cream
Willow: Cat with the most "seniority" in the house. Her SPCA tag number was 377, which was the year of "The battle of the Willows"
Briggs: His purr sounds like a lawn mower. Best nap cat ever, sit in recliner with him and you sleep.
Meadow: Adopted from a friends basement before she went to a shelter. A calico, reminded us of a "Monarch Meadow of flowers"
Miyako: : "Beautiful night", adopted from a shelter after a friend saved her from a sewer at McDonalds. The youngest cat in the house.
Merlin: Our newest cat, from a shelter, he appears and disappears magically.

I had a German Shepard named Yenta, she earned it.

I had a neighbor who had a cat named Cutapusse

I can still hear her calling that dang cat at 5am on a Saturday Morning.

Here CUTAPUSSSEE
Here CUTA CUTA CUTA PUSSSSSSSE

She would keep calling at the top of her voice until that dang cat showed up.....

We didn't sleep in much.....

Screenshot_20210522-081135.png

This dog isn't mine. Due to all the travel I do, I can't keep a pet. This is my ex wife's service dog, which I see every time I pick up or drop off my daughter at her house. The damn dog loves me to death. It even pouts if I don't pet it...

It's probably the smartest dog I've ever seen. It is trained to detect imbalances in the human system, specifically low cortisol, but it can notice things like hypoglycemia too. It will start acting funny if my blood sugar is low. It is also probably the best behaved dog I've ever seen too. As soon as that little harness goes on its back, it is all business. Its name is Clover...

My pets have generally had boring names...

As a kid, my first dog was a border collie mix named Spooky. I've no idea why that was his name. He was a real good dog.
Then my brother got a black lab/heeler mix. He had gone on a trip to Ecuador and he named the dog Quito, after the city he visited there. That was a great dog too.
Next I inherited my brother in law's black lab, Congo. That dog was named after BIL went on a missions trip to Africa.
There were three strays that adopted my family at various times. Jack was an English Shepherd. Dumber that a box of rocks, but tough as nails. He got hit by four different cars and got shot in the butt once, but he died of old age. Then there was Patches, who was a collie mix. He didn't like adults but he loved little kids. Last was a blue heeler that showed up in my dad's driveway on Christmas day, 2003. She was young, pregnant, and abused. Pops fed her and she stayed, and eventually formed a real strong bond with him and the rest of us. When I lived a mile from dad's house, she would come visit just to see my daughter. Her name was Annie, because she was like a little orphan.
My last dog was Chance. He was a Doberman or a Doberman mix from a rescue. He was three when we got him and he'd been at the shelter his whole life. He ended up being the best dog I've ever had, and I still miss him to this day. I still can't believe nobody wanted him for three years at the shelter...

Last edited:
View attachment 67019

This dog isn't mine. Due to all the travel I do, I can't keep a pet. This is my ex wife's service dog, which I see every time I pick up or drop off my daughter at her house. The damn dog loves me to death. It even pouts if I don't pet it...

It's probably the smartest dog I've ever seen. It is trained to detect imbalances in the human system, specifically low cortisol, but it can notice things like hypoglycemia too. It will start acting funny if my blood sugar is low. It is also probably the best behaved dog I've ever seen too. As soon as that little harness goes on its back, it is all business. Its name is Clover...

My daughter's dog does that too. As soon as the harness is on she's all business.

My milk cows name is Birdie, her calves name is Tweet. My Australian Shepherds name is Whiskey and my cat's name is Foxtrot. We also have 3 steers named Big Mac, Whopper and Jr.

My daughter's dog does that too. As soon as the harness is on she's all business.

My milk cows name is Birdie, her calves name is Tweet. My Australian Shepherds name is Whiskey and my cat's name is Foxtrot. We also have 3 steers named Big Mac, Whopper and Jr.
If the dog's name is Whiskey and the cat's name is Foxtrot, which pet is named Tango? 😁

We have:

Teddy Ruxpin: Mostly Australian Shepard, probably some Chow, and who knows what else. Smartest dog I have ever had.

Bailey: Oldest cat in the house, her color is like Bailey Irish Cream
Willow: Cat with the most "seniority" in the house. Her SPCA tag number was 377, which was the year of "The battle of the Willows"
Briggs: His purr sounds like a lawn mower. Best nap cat ever, sit in recliner with him and you sleep.
Meadow: Adopted from a friends basement before she went to a shelter. A calico, reminded us of a "Monarch Meadow of flowers"
Miyako: : "Beautiful night", adopted from a shelter after a friend saved her from a sewer at McDonalds. The youngest cat in the house.
Merlin: Our newest cat, from a shelter, he appears and disappears magically.

Our Bailey is our oldest cat and she is black as night. She was named Bailey because she has eyes as green as Ireland's hills and we were naming all our pets after Irish liquor. Hence the Killian, Guinness, Murphy, Smithwick, Jamisons, O'Mara...

Meadow is Juju's real name. I went 'hippie' with the kids names...

My wife's cat has a unique name.
Years ago my neighbor and I were sitting on my back patio in Alabama.
We heard a cat yelling down at the pond.
I told him: "Someone needs to either shoot it or feed it".
It just kept yelling.
I guess I went soft.
I fetched a very young cat, barely weaned, that the heartless guy a mile up the road had dumped out, thinking it would just 'live off the land' :mad:
I fed it and thought: great, another outside cat, just what I need
brickwall100.gif
The next day I drive my work-van 65mph to my first job 52 miles away and get out.
I could still hear that cat yelling.
"She's gotten into your head, you numbskull!"
idiot.gif

I open the hood on the van and there she is, still clinging to the air-cleaner for dear life after an hour.
I let her ride inside with me for the rest of the workday and brought her inside the house when I got home.
Walked in the house and proclaimed: "Look who went to work with me today!"
The Mrs freaked out and proclaimed that she could not stay outside and would have to live with us.
"What should we call her?"
My reply: "she's Lucky"
The name stuck, and she is a wonderful cat, still with us today.
1222191432.jpg

She does celebrate Halloween though:
FB_IMG_1572534558521.jpg

Last edited:
Pit mix named Karma. We got her from some college kids standing in front of Walmart giving her away to just anyone who would take her. She was a very tiny pup. Is guess about 5 weeks old. We were worried about her fate so we took her with the intent in finding her a good home. 😏

Yorkie named Penny. So named because she is diminutive.

Cat named Percival. My son started the tradition of naming our cars after the Knights of the Round Table. There is a Merlin, Guinevere, Mordred and Percival.

I have two very large lizards. One named Sheldor the Conqueror the other named Leonard. I love Big Bang Theory.

For a number of years I was on a list to adopt retiring K-9’s. Usually they retire to the home of their handler, sometimes that isn’t possible. I’d bring them here to the farm (with all its critters) and turn them lose on 100+ acres. The first week or so would be a learning experience but they learn quick.

This one dog (best one I ever got) only knew commands in german. The german word for “No” is “Nein”. I yelled nein at her many, many times that first week… once in frustration I yelled “Nein, Ten”! The name stuck, from that day forward her name was “Ten”! She was an incredible dog, more drive and intelligence than any dog I’ve ever been around. I got her because she was dying from heartworms so severe the vets wouldn’t treat her. I treated her naturally, 5 months later she was heartworm free and lived another 7 years.

You can even see the fire in her eyes in this photo... she was intense!

Ten sm best.jpg

Our dog right now is a Maltese named Jack...after Jack Sparrow, I think.

Before that, a female rott called Paulie. She was named after the street we got her on.
A male Dalmatian, called Picasso. His spots were very prominent and large, they kinda looked like an abstract painting.
The above two, had some puppies, of which we kept one that we called Juanito after my older brother.
And a small Chinese crested called Houdini because he was a sneaky one.

Growing up we had many more dogs, Rex, Max, Sabre...rabbits and guinea pigs that we never bothered to name, a turtle named Christelle, a parrot called Fallen From Heaven.

Hmmm, let's see if I can 'member this...

First dog was a German Shepard named King. We had to leave him behind when dad got stationed to Germany.
Grand parent's dogs were Chi Chi (Chihuahua) and Taffy (Dachshund) when we got back.

Next dog was Nosey (Terrier/Dachshund mix).

Then I had a black cat named Merlin and a mottled brown cat I named Bruce (it was a she).

Had a girlfriend that had a cat named Golden Butt Nugget and a dog named Kuma (Japanese for Bear and one of my personal favorite names).

Also had a green iguana named Jay and a Prairie Dog named Pepper.

I also fostered a Sun Conure named Sunny for about a year.

My last dog was Callie. She was a CKC breeder Beagle that we rescued.

Not sure what our next dog will be or what name will fit it, but there are a lot of good ideas floating around this thread...

Cocao..... German short hair hunter

Dixie....beagle

The White Tiger........white boxer

Yawnee and Ishta....wild Egyptian desert rescue puppies; part coyote.

Carbon......black German Shepherd

Shadow and Diesel.... black and king German Shepherd

Gator, Turbo, Dax and Sam.....German Shepherds

Last edited:
The wife finally decided that she wasn't going to decide on a name for the pup so she deferred to me. We settled on Chewie, short for Chewbacca. The name Chewbacca was derived from the Russian word for dog. So I kind of got a derivative of my original choice Dawg.

We have 3 dogs. Zeus, Leon Redbone (coon hound) and The Visitor ......he came to visit and never left so my Special son started calling him Visitor and it stuck.
We have 3 cats, Ziva David (ncis) Jethro (ncis), Monkey Face IV,
A good friend of mine has a Redbone Coon Hound named Scarlett. Dog was incredibly shy and fearful for quite a while. It greatly resembles a Rhodesian Ridgeback and she frequently gets asked if it is a RR.

Since I spend hours a week in dog parks, I know some interesting dog names, none of which are mine: Flea, Emmett, Iris, Nellie, Sergio, Charlie, Otis, Berkley, Paxton, Pippa, Mavis, Zion, Nova, Darcie, Nevşehir, Ned, Olive, Wiser, Rocky, Mia, Ollie, Goyo, Otis, Oakley, Cairo, Worf, Jean Luc, Juniper, Dallas, Cole, Weller, Leroy, Marlo, Riggs, Gus, Hoppa, Lana, Lincoln, Addie, Brixon, Franklin, Murphy, Pepperoni, Max, Buddy, Ferris, Tank, Disco, Moxie, George, Spot, Ralph, Loki, Thor, Lena, Maggie May, Lucy, Nikita, Laika, Sashe, Spider, Snowball, Peaches.

I know there are more.

A good friend of mine has a Redbone Coon Hound named Scarlett. Dog was incredibly shy and fearful for quite a while. It greatly resembles a Rhodesian Ridgeback and she frequently gets asked if it is a RR.

Since I spend hours a week in dog parks, I know some interesting dog names, none of which are mine: Flea, Emmett, Iris, Nellie, Sergio, Charlie, Otis, Berkley, Paxton, Pippa, Mavis, Zion, Nova, Darcie, Nevşehir, Ned, Olive, Wiser, Rocky, Mia, Ollie, Goyo, Otis, Oakley, Cairo, Worf, Jean Luc, Juniper, Dallas, Cole, Weller, Leroy, Marlo, Riggs, Gus, Hoppa, Lana, Lincoln, Addie, Brixon, Franklin, Murphy, Pepperoni, Max, Buddy, Ferris, Tank, Disco, Moxie, George, Spot, Ralph, Loki, Thor, Lena, Maggie May, Lucy, Nikita, Laika, Sashe, Spider, Snowball, Peaches.

I know there are more.
Sorry, Pepperoni got me of that whole list 😂

We know a crazy mastiff named Otis that lives down the road. Scared the daylights out of us when we were going for a ride on the Ranger. He heard us coming down the road and went tearing after us, I didn't see him till he was at the door on my side. The door is just made of netting. I saw the neighbor lady owner a few days later...turned out it's her son's dog, loves to chase things on wheels, and said his name is Otis. Now if we see him barreling towards us we tell him to "Sit, Otis", and he stops and does. I bring a piece of sausage to throw at him.

Our current animals are the cats: Lilli Bare, Sebastian, Alice and Turkish (snowshoe mix 2 year old cat)

The dogs: Winter and Summer

And the rabbits (call names not really named until they prove themselves): Harlequin, Bon-bon, Blu, Rusty and Sterling. They are called for their colors/patterns. Harley is a harlequin 3/4 rex, Bon-bon is a chocolate otter rex, Blu is a blue broken butterfly rex, Rusty is a torte mini rex and Sterling is a gray/silver chin rex.

Latest posts

Back