Pet Peeves !........

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that someone says that just BUGS the hell out of ya !.........

One of mine is people who call an Engine a Motor !........:Angie:
It might not be long before all cars will have a motor not and engine.

I believe the biggest is people say they are coming over but never show and don't even call to say they aren't coming.

The ultimate clip vs. magazine debacle
I don't get this one I guess. Especially when it comes to the attacks that newcomers to our hobby endure when they use the wrong vernacular. I wonder how many we have run from our sport rather welcome them in and teach.

I understand the modern usage, but what really is a magazine? Originally it had nothing to do with a spring actuated box that fed a chamber. But language evolved. And what we call clips today were once commonly called chargers.

I was witness to a newby to the shooting sports at our range. He was being berated by his mentor for calling a magazine a clip. When he said that 45's used magazines not clips. I could no longer resist. I spoke up "My 45 uses clips". After I was called stupid, I simply opened my range bag and pulled out a loaded moon clip for my 1917. Laughter ensued and the berator shut up.

I cant think of anything that really grates on me much. But i can speak for my wife.

See absolutely hates some of the words we use. A couple of examples.

Directly, as "I'll be there directly." Which common usage here means in a bit. She says it should mean "right now".

Another is yonder. As "it's over yonder". The spousal unit once asked me to explain what exactly a yonder Was!

As a law enforcement trainee, the first part of range safety begins with the actual nomenclature of the weapon you are shooting. Know your weapon, inside and outside. Yes, there are clip on some guns, and there are magazines on others, but I cringe when someone who owns a firearm doesn't understand the difference.

One of mine is people who call an Engine a Motor !........

Yeah, I'll be out and about in one of our classics and 9 times out of ten someone will ask what motor is in it. I just smile and tell them it's not an electric car. :cool:

Then the funny confused look ensues, lol.

Yeah, I'll be out and about in one of our classics and 9 times out of ten someone will ask what motor is in it. I just smile and tell them it's not an electric car. :cool:

Then the funny confused look ensues, lol.

When they ask me what motor is in it ? I would say, I think it says FoMoCo on the starter !...............

Exactly. Teach.
OK, I am about to teach !............
moon clips........
B00LD7WCCS.01-A3W1LU7I0Q8F8Q._SX2352_SCRMZZZZZZZ_V348359247_3.jpg
Enbloc clip..........
M1 Garand en bloc clip dummy bullet.jpg
Chargers..............
images.jpg
Magazine...........
wm_10275174.jpg

As a law enforcement trainee, the first part of range safety begins with the actual nomenclature of the weapon you are shooting. Know your weapon, inside and outside. Yes, there are clip on some guns, and there are magazines on others, but I cringe when someone who owns a firearm doesn't understand the difference.
I cringe more when people who do own and use firearms get it wrong and don't care.

Weeelllllllllll................aren't we doing just that when we correct them?
Yes we are. I am just weary of hose who condem rather than teach.

The history of the magazine is really pretty interesting if you follow it's eveloution from a hole in the ground to what we call a magazine today.

Did you know the first magazine equipped rifle was invented in the 1500's? It actually had three magazines, one for the projectiles, one for loose powder, and one for priming powder. It was operated by the trigger guard and could be made ready to fire in just a few seconds?

Yep I don't think I have ever seen any automotive oil called engine oil.

What's this ?.................
516OX3GYD4L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg or this81979463-9a38-43f9-a7f0-eff1607e0296_1.c383b447a65de9ff15d95851ac217f32.jpeg

The real difference, is the fact that "motors" run on electricity, while "engines" run on combustion. However, many people interchange the usage of these words: On the rare occasions we encounter one, we refer to a steam locomotive as an engine, the same word that we give to the motive power of an aircraft !..............

HMMM I guess I will have to check out the oil container labeling next time I am buying oil for my engine. I only use Mobil 1 in all my engines so maybe that's why I never noticed the others. I guess I should look at my Mobil 1 oil container. I guess some oil manufactures need proof read their container labeling before giving their okay of approval.
Personally I really don't see myself dumping any of these motor oils into my electric motors.

LOL Okay my really big pet peeve is the English language. Those that made up words should have realized they already used that word. IE: He leaves for work and he notices the leaves are falling off the trees. Why in the hell does any word have a silent letter? Did they happen to have a box of T s they needed to get rid of? The train depot or should it be spelled depoe? How about Edgar Allen Depot? Where the heck is the T in pizza? I had to laugh, a guy at work went out to dinner with his wife and he "axed" her what the hell are hor dee vors. I still say they must have been a bunch of pot smokers that had a jay and a bong going around the circle at the same time.

For crying out loud what is a potporry? What are all these smelly dried out plants in this pot for? Or should I say in this poe for.

Last edited by a moderator:
HMMM I guess I will have to check out the oil container labeling next time I am buying oil for my engine. I only use Mobil 1 in all my engines so maybe that's why I never noticed the others. I guess I should look at my Mobil 1 oil container. I guess some oil manufactures need proof read their container labeling before giving their okay of approval.
Personally I really don't see myself dumping any of these motor oils into my electric motors.

LOL Okay my really big pet peeve is the English language. Those that made up words should have realized they already used that word. IE: He leaves for work and he notices the leaves are falling off the trees. Why in the hell does any word have a silent letter? Did they happen to have a box of T s they needed to get rid of? The train depot or should it be spelled depoe? How about Edgar Allen Depot? Where the heck is the T in pizza? I had to laugh, a guy at work went out to dinner with his wife and he "axed" her what the hell are hor dee vors. I still say they must have been a bunch of pot smokers that had a jay and a bong going around the circle at the same time.

For crying out loud what is a potporry? What are all these smelly dried out plants in this pot for? Or should I say in this poe for.

Oil keeps things motoring !.........
Motor; To impart motion, without lubrication friction would cause things to stop motoring, hence Motor Oil !...............
Now I guess I am just showing my 40 years as a mechanic........

This was used quite a bit during WWII and the Korean War. The M-1 was in use and the rounds used to come in stripper clips so when the ammo guy came around he would ask: How many clips today. If memory serves me correctly a stripper clip held 8 rounds. When I was in basic we used M-14's and if you called a magazine a clip, then you got to run around for about half an hour. I never had much of a chance to fool around with M-1's but did with our M14's. You would load the clip from the top and press down on the ammo and then discard the stripper clip. Our M-14's loaded from the bottom and we had 20 round mags that we would tape together so when one ran out, you pulled it out of your rifle and put the other end in. If I am wrong, then please feel free to correct me.

Tommy

This was used quite a bit during WWII and the Korean War. The M-1 was in use and the rounds used to come in stripper clips so when the ammo guy came around he would ask: How many clips today. If memory serves me correctly a stripper clip held 8 rounds. When I was in basic we used M-14's and if you called a magazine a clip, then you got to run around for about half an hour. I never had much of a chance to fool around with M-1's but did with our M14's. You would load the clip from the top and press down on the ammo and then discard the stripper clip. Our M-14's loaded from the bottom and we had 20 round mags that we would tape together so when one ran out, you pulled it out of your rifle and put the other end in. If I am wrong, then please feel free to correct me.

Tommy

The rounds for the M-1 carbine came ON a stripper clip, the rounds for the M-1 Garand came IN a enbloc clip !................

Tommy
In it's most basic form, the definition of magazine is a place that munitions are stored. A clip is a device to hold individual cartridges together. as for personal firearms, ie: rifles and pistols, magazines can be permanently attached to the firearm or removable. Clips are always removable.

In my stint in the USMC we were taught to charge our magazines by placing the charging tool on the magazine, place the clip in the Charging tool, and press the cartridges into the magazine with the thumb. It was also common to hear the clip being referred as a "stripper clip" or charger. (Actually most of our ammunition came in bandoleers containing cardboard boxes that held 20 loose cartridges that we loaded into magazines singly.) We mostly had 20 round magazines and always called them magazines. The 30 round magazines which were usually called by the slang "banana clips" , I don't ever recall them being called "banana magazines".

I was in at the time when the Korean war veterans were aging out. Most of the older Marines almost exclusively used the term clip. I remember a discussion started by a new Marine fresh off the Island and one of the Korean war vets. The effingee made the comment that if he were in a fire fight and a fellow Marine called out for a clip, he would toss him a stripper clip. The Korean war Marine replied that if he was the one who called out for a clip and you gave me a hand full of cartridges, and I survived the firefight, I guarantee that you would not.

I cant think of anything that really grates on me much. But i can speak for my wife.

See absolutely hates some of the words we use. A couple of examples.

Directly, as "I'll be there directly." Which common usage here means in a bit. She says it should mean "right now".

Another is yonder. As "it's over yonder". The spousal unit once asked me to explain what exactly a yonder Was!
I had a store manager in Florida once that was born in Turkey and raised in New York City. When she first started work she called me and asked what yonder was. I told her that yonder is where your not at. She understood!

People who horn into my fishing spot! I don't mind sharing a close proximity, but don't cast where I'm casting at. Specially from a boat. One morning I was fishing and had caught several and a boat parked right where I was casting to. I asked them to move back so I could cast and they ignored me. So I told them that the lake has 995 miles of shoreline and to leave my 50 feet of it alone. Then the guy driving told me that he paid over 50,000 dollars for that boat and he would fish wherever he wanted to. Soooo, I got my slingshot out and loaded up a 1/4" steel BB and let fly and bounced one off his motor. You never heard such a ruckus! He put words together in combinations I'd never heard before. I invited him ashore to discuss the matter and he started in again. Soooo, I let fly with another and bounced one of his boat, then another of his windshield.
They left.
Do not aggravate an old man that's minding his own business.

People who call diesel gas instead of fuel.

Anyone that calls me "buddy". As in, "sure thing, buddy". Or my absolute favorite, "how ya doin', buddy". Or, "hey, buddy". Annoys the piss outa me. Asshats.

It's ALL fuel, weather it be Gasoline, Diesel, Kerosene, or LP, even coal is a fuel...... There I go showing my mechanic again, sorry !.......................

Latest posts

Back