P'Oed with things

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 55

Just a Drifter
Neighbor
I made the title kid friendly. I'm not really feeling all that friendly at this point and to be honest I actually don't care. This might be better suited for the rant forum but then again it's sort of off topic and not related to homesteading.

So, whats up might you ask. Well, theres work that I do for an immature and childish idiot on a podium that thinks insulting and belittling his employees is ok. Theres home where I have issues. There are so many things that just don't seem right and are grating on an already irritated nerve. To keep it short, I am fed up with people, bs, handouts to lazy people, and the list goes on and on. Just one moment in time but so much suck right now.

I made the title kid friendly. I'm not really feeling all that friendly at this point and to be honest I actually don't care. This might be better suited for the rant forum but then again it's sort of off topic and not related to homesteading.

So, whats up might you ask. Well, theres work that I do for an immature and childish idiot on a podium that thinks insulting and belittling his employees is ok. Theres home where I have issues. There are so many things that just don't seem right and are grating on an already irritated nerve. To keep it short, I am fed up with people, bs, handouts to lazy people, and the list goes on and on. Just one moment in time but so much suck right now.
I know how it feels when work sucks and when home sucks but never, thankfully, both at the same time. I tell my son just stick it out til you find something else when he's had horrible bosses. As far as home goes, I had to get out of the issues I had at home BUT that's me and I was in an abusive situation. I pray you're able to resolve your issues with work and home soon. Hang in there.

I know how it feels when work sucks and when home sucks but never, thankfully, both at the same time. I tell my son just stick it out til you find something else when he's had horrible bosses.
There is considerable satisfaction when you leave.
3 of the places I left, 'pulled the plug on', closed 9 months later :oops:.

There is considerable satisfaction when you leave.
3 of the places I left, 'pulled the plug on', closed 9 months later :oops:.
The changing of those in charge can often be hard to deal with. I've seen it. Things going well, and new person thinks they can improve by changing things, when leaving things as they were is often, but not always, best.

The changing of those in charge can often be hard to deal with. I've seen it. Things going well, and new person thinks they can improve by changing things, when leaving things as they were is often, but not always, best.

I don't mind change to a point but I do mind a crappy attitude towards employees and I do take it personal. We have an 18 YO that for his age is intelligent and friendly. He does the best he can. He is also a hardworker. The new idiot in charge targets him first. Then when I back him up he tries to target me. I am doing work I like but do not need to do if poop hits the fan. Having called him out he is now silent. I can easily move on if needed. Not my preferred choice but migh go down that path. I just wish I had insight as to the path to proceed on.

Yeah, I think most of us have the blahs right now with all the BS going on around us. The one thing that helps me get through it, is to be grateful for what I have. I don't have to look very far to see people who have it far worse than me.

I don't know if you are a spiritual person or not, but just taking a few minutes to pray.....even if it's just a chat to God, can help. I know he's got my back no matter what happens. What would Jesus do? It's not easy, and I don't always succeed, but it does help to keep me on the right path. I'm not preaching......just offering a suggestion that might help.

I hope you can get your relationships sorted out. I know it's always best to be kind, even though I'd rather explode sometimes. Still, kindness will serve you well.....even if bestowed on those who don't deserve it.

Well, some parts of the conversation....

I am not sure how to present this actually. You will notice I left tonight on time without speaking a word. There is a reason for that. To be blunt, Steam is the better option at this point since I might have actually spoken my thoughts.

I am not sure how to present this actually. You will notice I left tonight on time without speaking a word. There is a reason for that. To be blunt, Steam is the better option at this point since I might have actually spoken my thoughts.

Well, that said. I can see the concern so nevermind.

First off let me apologize, the way I asked you to sweep up the floor dry was needlessly rude, It was borne of frustration as it seems like that happens often. I wish I would've worded it better and calmer.
this kind of hits on the deeper issue here. i have to admit often times I have a very difficult time asking you particularly to do tasks. TIm and cody its not an issue. Historically you usually know what needs to be done and I don't need to ask, which is amazing. but i often find when i do ask if im not extremely blunt it is met with somewhat of an attitude of "ill get to it when i feel like it" and while majority of the time its not life-or-death, it does get a little old, and And things like 3 day left behind floor dry turns into a huge issue. It just makes me feel like im not in charge and my directions arent being followed. And i hate having to be a jerk to get things done but sometimes it feels like that if im not a bit sharp with my ask it just goes on the back burner.
That all being said you do a tremendous job. For which I am extremely grateful for. And the last couple days there have been a handful of errors. that i know is largely due to the fact that you are actively involved in far more things than cody or tim.

Well, when someone bitches about something on the floor for 3 days I will ask why, since YOU are the owner and business person, YOU did not pick up the broom and sweep it.
Its funny that I am the one that regularly sweeps, vacuums, etc. Things get done in a timely fashion based on priority.
Based on your statements I understand your position and that will be rectified in 14 days. You might want to check with your other employees as to what they see.

Why don't you take tomorrow off. Take a beat and sleep on it and if you want talk about this more tomorrow via text or in person I'm all ears. If not and that's really your final decision, then Ill be in touch about how I want to proceed.

I won't go into my opinion on this. Standard bs and thats fine. Im working additional jobs so no worries there either. Just needed to vent. It's likely my fault and no one will give a **** either way but I will speak my piece either way.

Guardian, I feel your pain. My job has changed 180 degrees in the last couple of years, and not for the better. At least my immediate supervisor is nice, and she tries, but she is a cheerleader, and not a manager. It seems like every day gets worse, and I hate it more and more. I am very glad I am close to retirement, and will be able to walk away in a few months.

If you are that unhappy you should leave. Find another job where you will be more compatible with the management. I really don't see your situation improving where you are. Having it wear on you day in and day out is bad for your health. Stress kills. I have seen it happen. Just my 2 cents.

I hope I don't put my foot in my mouth here, but I think that @Guardian has hit on something that we are all feeling.

Everyone has been bottled up and over stressed for a long time, and as a result we are grating on each other (at least the people we come in contact with), he is demanding, she is whiny, their being childish, I'm just an ass... the list goes on and on.... We (society) needs some positive reinforcement (something uplifting) or we are going to pop. We all see it appearing in the news every day, reports of road rage, stabbings, shootings, and it only seems to be getting worse. What I am feeling is there is no escape from the abuse, work, home, on the road, or out shopping; it all feels the same... No matter where I (we) go there is no peace and that is very draining.

I seem to have no peace either. I thought it was just me. I commute an hour each way to a job that I really don't like. But I am close to retirement. I have other job feelers out but nothing yet. I come in the door and tell my wife I feel like I am returning from battle. Then sometimes she can't seem to help but take her turn.

Last edited:
I was listening to pandora on my way to work last week and heard this for the first time it was very fitting. There are a few F bombs.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...ate=ive&vld=cid:d1e18af1,vid:CGDBTQWewgQ,st:0I'm a little bit off today, something down inside me's different
Woke up a little off today, I can tell that something's wrong
I'm a little thrown off today, there's something going on inside me
I'm a little bit off today, a little bit off today
(I'm a little bit off today, a little bit off)
See, I'm a little bit off today, I cannot put my finger on it
Got up a little off today, just to play that same old song
I don't really wanna try today, I see nothing in my reflection
I'm a little bit dry today, feel like I could die today
Feel like I could die today
Hey yeah, hey yeah
Hey yeah, don't ya know? (I'm a little bit off)
Hey yeah, hey yeah
Hey, you gotta let it go (I'm a little, just a little bit off)
I'm a little pissed off today and there ain't nothing you can do about it
I'm a little put off today and I could not tell you why
Got a really short fuse today, everyone around me's ******* crazy
I'm a little ticked off today, a little pissed off today
(I'm a little bit off today)
I told a little white lie today, I smiled and told someone I loved them
I had to say goodbye today to someone that I love
I couldn't even cry today, I think my heart is finally broken
Didn't need a reason why today, I don't need a reason why today
Hey yeah, hey yeah
Hey yeah, hey yeah
I got a little too high today, got lost inside a sea of madness
Crashed a little bit hard today, crashed a little too hard today
Everybody sing
Hey yeah, hey yeah
Hey yeah, hey yeah
I'm a little bit off today
Something down inside me feels so different
Just a little bit off today
You can all **** off today

We can't control our bosses attitude but we can control ours.

Now that I've said that for 19 years I worked for a small Town. Every 4 years a new Town Board would get elected. Their first year they let the Department Heads run their Departments. The second year the Board would start micromanaging. The third year they realized that perhaps they didm't know as much as they thought they did and the fourth year they wouldn't make decisions because a new Board was coming. In those 19 years I went from a peon working 40 hours per week to the Town Manager working 55 to 60 hours a week. January to September I was "temporarily acting Town Manager" because they didn't want to pay me for the extra responsibility and I thought I was helping the community. End of September they asked if I would remain TM for $3,000 more in pay. Three months left in the years divided into $3,000 that's $1,000 more a month, I said yes. January of the following year my pay check was too low. When I brought it to the TB attention they said, "Oh that $3,000 was per year..." I quietly started looking for other employment. Then without my knowledge and in violation of the State's "Open Door Law" the TB combined some of the Department's and reassign Department Heads. TB said they hoped I didn't get mad and quit. I didn't get mad. I did give them 30 days notice.

Landed a job that paid me the same as what the Town had, working as a Peon and no on call 24x7. 28 years later I retired as a Manager with a full pension.

19 years as a public servant and another 28 years in a service industry, yea I just about have had enough with people for quite awhile too! During those 47 years 99.9% time when the phone rang it was someone with a problem. Two years into retirement I'm slowly being reconditioned that the large majority of the calls no longer are problem related!

Last edited:
Being close to retirement, and being very dissatisfied with my current employment one of the things I look forward to the most is not having to be nice, polite, respectful, professional, courteous, to people who don't deserve it. Maybe that is the curse of doing so much over the phone, but IMHO people are much more rude on the phone than they are face-to-face. I am sick and tired of being nice to people because I have to, especially when they are rude to me.

Being close to retirement, and being very dissatisfied with my current employment one of the things I look forward to the most is not having to be nice, polite, respectful, professional, courteous, to people who don't deserve it. Maybe that is the curse of doing so much over the phone, but IMHO people are much more rude on the phone than they are face-to-face. I am sick and tired of being nice to people because I have to, especially when they are rude to me.
I installed a count down timer on my phone. The date was the earliest I’d retire. When a bad work day the timer was a comfort to look at.

I installed a count down timer on my phone. The date was the earliest I’d retire. When a bad work day the timer was a comfort to look at.
I wrotr a program that ran in the background of my work machine that countrd down the number of days and hours until I retired. I would glance at when things went sour.

I also created a large calendar that hung on the cubicle wall and crossed off each day when I left work.

I was the first techno type engaged to scope out plans and ID risks. I remember my boss coming to me and saying "I need yu to look at these specs." I looked a my calendar and said "I only have 7 days left. Do you really want to get me involved in a new project?"

I gave my employer a year norice (I had been there more than 20 years). During the year I badgered my boss about who was going to take over my projects when was gone. I only got one phone call after I retired so I am pleased that did not leeve anyone in the lurch.

Similarly The Princess is finishing off one last project so that she can turn in her notice in about 3 weeks. Almost every evening she tells me she is soooo ready to retire.

Excuse the ramble...

Ben

I've got about 4.5 years left. The way things are going in the world right now, I have my doubts that day will get here and even if it does I suspect things will be so radically different that date will get pushed further out.
I still think I need to start up a countdown timer though. At least give me some hope.

I've got about 4.5 years left. The way things are going in the world right now, I have my doubts that day will get here and even if it does I suspect things will be so radically different that date will get pushed further out.
I still think I need to start up a countdown timer though. At least give me some hope.
I can.
For those getting close to pulling the plug...
The relief is unbelievable! :woo hoo:
I ran the numbers and saw there was no reason for me to work past 62 and pulled the plug for good.
After retiring, I realized 2 things:
1. If I had retired at 61, it would have made little-no difference. That's a year of 'the good life' I will never get back.:(
2. Since I recently turned 65, I can tell you, that there is NO WAY I could have survived working to age 65.
Sorry this is my soapbox.
Too many people 'work away' the best years of their life trying to reach some 'magic' number:mad:.
Pull that damplug!!dead horse

Last edited:

Mine is on a calendar, and marked in weeks. Every day I wonder if I will make it that far. I can cut it down a little bit with four weeks of vacation. It is somewhat of a comfort to know it is close. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn't another oncoming train.

I have 3 dates, the earliest date that I can retire (the dog food date), a date where I could be comfortable. and if the work holds my attention how far would I be willing to go. Right now the earliest is 2 1/2 years out, comfortable would be 4 years and 8 years is the absolute got to be out by date.... I am doing everything I can think of to move the comfortable date closer to the early date. As I have identified ways to reduce the time till the turkey is done, I implement them in an disciplined manner. In the past 4 years I have moved it 2 full years, would have been 3 but the wife keeps finding remodeling projects that she can't live without.... :(

Due to major health care cost over the last 30 years our savings just aint where it needs to be to pull the plug next year. I'm doing my best to be debt free by the time I retire..
This is far more important than many people realize because monthly debt payments come from 'after-tax' income.
If you only have $10K left on your mortgage and are paying 6% interest on it, and the money you have in a 401K is earning you 4%, it is mathematically illogical to allow this to continue. Every year you lose 2%.
It is far better to have the 401K money pay off the mortgage and pump those mortgage payments into savings for the next few years.
When you retire with no mortgage payment, no car payment, and only a credit-card payment for last month's expenses, you will be surprised how comfortable you will be with much less income than when working.
*Disclaimer: This is not financial advice, but Super makes money off of people that cannot do simple math.

Last edited:
I have 3 dates, the earliest date that I can retire (the dog food date), a date where I could be comfortable. and if the work holds my attention how far would I be willing to go. Right now the earliest is 2 1/2 years out, comfortable would be 4 years and 8 years is the absolute got to be out by date.... I am doing everything I can think of to move the comfortable date closer to the early date. As I have identified ways to reduce the time till the turkey is done, I implement them in an disciplined manner. In the past 4 years I have moved it 2 full years, would have been 3 but the wife keeps finding remodeling projects that she can't live without.... :(
My DW had a big list of remodeling things she wished for, then I pointed out that to pay for them, she would have to work another 6 years after I retired. Oddly enough, the list disappeared.

My DW had a big list of remodeling things she wished for, then I pointed out that to pay for them, she would have to work another 6 years after I retired. Oddly enough, the list disappeared.
We flipped it around and planned the remodeling for AFTER retirement so I would have time to do it.

Ben

I wish I could make those kind of plans. There's just too much uncertainty in the world. I do have a date, in the year I turn 56, where I will reach the months of service at my job, and at that time I will be eligible for full disability at 85% of my wages. At current levels that would come out to around 45k/year plus Medicaid. I have a few years to go to reach it. Assuming good health, I still have to work until I'm 65 or 67 like everyone else due to the necessity of health insurance...

I have often said I am retiring at 62 1/2 even if I have to eat cat food. Lately 60 and discounted cat food looks like an option. I have told my co workers I eat a little every now and then to get used to the taste.
But seriously I asked a financial planner if I can buy back some federal time and pull the plug at 60 in less than 2 years.

Latest posts

Back