Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20210531_111130_603.jpg

View attachment 67506
When I saw those flowers yesterday, they looked dead. Then this morning... Wide awake.

Do you call the plant with these blooms an Acacia? If not it's closely related. Here in the South Eastern US we also have an Acacia. Except it's not a tree or shrub. It's a tiny little vine covered with thorns. Locally its called a Sensitive Brier (Mimosa nuttallii). It's given the genus of mimosa even though its far more closely related to the acacias of Africa.

Of course we also have Mimosa trees which was brought from China several hundred years ago. Sort of funny... Mimosa's and Mulberry trees were used to grow silk worms in China to produce silk. 2 men in Carolina brought the mimosa here to grow worms and get into the silk business. The worms had hundreds of natural predators and were soon killed and eaten. The mimosa trees had no natural predators here... The southeast now has millions of mimosa trees to this day.

First photo - Sensitive Brier (acacia)
Second photo - Mimosa tree, growing at the end of my garden.

Mimosa 002a.jpg
Mimosa 006a.jpg

Do you call the plant with these blooms an Acacia? If not it's closely related. Here in the South Eastern US we also have an Acacia. Except it's not a tree or shrub. It's a tiny little vine covered with thorns. Locally its called a Sensitive Brier (Mimosa nuttallii). It's given the genus of mimosa even though its far more closely related to the acacias of Africa.

Of course we also have Mimosa trees which was brought from China several hundred years ago. Sort of funny... Mimosa's and Mulberry trees were used to grow silk worms in China to produce silk. 2 men in Carolina brought the mimosa here to grow worms and get into the silk business. The worms had hundreds of natural predators and were soon killed and eaten. The mimosa trees had no natural predators here... The southeast now has millions of mimosa trees to this day.

First photo - Sensitive Brier (acacia)
Second photo - Mimosa tree, growing at the end of my garden.

View attachment 67512View attachment 67513
I actually don't know what they're called. I never had to think about their name until now. I can't think of anyone who might know, either.
But they do look closely related to yours, yes. Even the way they bloom, the clustering. I think I'll be able to get a picture on my way to work tomorrow.

I actually don't know what they're called. I never had to think about their name until now. I can't think of anyone who might know, either.
But they do look closely related to yours, yes. Even the way they bloom, the clustering. I think I'll be able to get a picture on my way to work tomorrow.

Does these look like your tree? I think maybe it is. 12, maybe 15 years ago I studied the Acacia, Mimosa, Persian Silk and Persian Wattle trees. Back then I had it clear in my mind the differences between these closely related trees. I’ve forgotten what I once knew, it happens with age.

They are all very closely related species. They grow from the west coast of Africa, through the middle east, into China and southeast Asia. The common names of these trees are very confusing.

I believe your tree is in the Mimosa branch of the family.

Also, via the internet I tried to find botanical information from your country. Everything I found was external to Gaboon. I found no sources of information from your government or education system. Maybe I was searching incorrectly.

I borrowed these photos from the internet, 2 of the 3 were described as Persian Wattle trees. 1 was described as an Acacia.

persian acacia sm.jpg
persian wattle sm.jpg
persian wattle sms.jpg

Does these look like your tree? I think maybe it is. 12, maybe 15 years ago I studied the Acacia, Mimosa, Persian Silk and Persian Wattle trees. Back then I had it clear in my mind the differences between these closely related trees. I’ve forgotten what I once knew, it happens with age.

They are all very closely related species. They grow from the west coast of Africa, through the middle east, into China and southeast Asia. The common names of these trees are very confusing.

I believe your tree is in the Mimosa branch of the family.

Also, via the internet I tried to find botanical information from your country. Everything I found was external to Gaboon. I found no sources of information from your government or education system. Maybe I was searching incorrectly.

I borrowed these photos from the internet, 2 of the 3 were described as Persian Wattle trees. 1 was described as an Acacia.

View attachment 67592View attachment 67593View attachment 67594

IMG_20210602_083429.jpg
IMG_20210531_152828.jpg
Yes, they look similar but there's something about the leaf stems. They look very tight in yours, whereas mine seem more spaced out.

In 1877, near the town of Ellis Missouri, the body of a young woman was found beside the railroad tracks. She was buried where she was found. No one knows who she was. Ellis no longer exists. The railroad workers and locals, including me, have maintained her grave since then.

019.JPG

In 1877, near the town of Ellis Missouri, the body of a young woman was found beside the railroad tracks. She was buried where she was found. No one knows who she was. Ellis no longer exists. The railroad workers and locals, including me, have maintained her grave since then.

View attachment 67727
I always think these are sad stories.
I doubt that there are enough remains to do a DNA test on her. Someone had to miss her, but with the time frame, it is possible that her family never knew that she was missing, due to lack of ability to write, communication, travel, etc. She could have been a woman who came to the U.S., like Molly (Margaret) Brown and was on her own.

I always think these are sad stories.
I doubt that there are enough remains to do a DNA test on her. Someone had to miss her, but with the time frame, it is possible that her family never knew that she was missing, due to lack of ability to write, communication, travel, etc. She could have been a woman who came to the U.S., like Molly (Margaret) Brown and was on her own.
There was a suggestion that she might be a woman who was missing at the time, Annie Cobb. The body was in bad shape when found and Annie Cobb was on the "outs" with her family for keeping company with black men and went missing 100 miles from here.
The original newspaper story said that the body was found in clear view of a dozen homes. All that is there now is a plowed field.

I've had pickled eggs (chicken) many times. The only ones I really liked are the ones I made here at home.

Saw these today... Never had a pickled quail egg. (would that be Dan? he laid a bunch of them).

Mr. Bills (8)a.JPG

Last edited:
Do they turn white when cooked or do they just melt? :)

Two years ago yesterday, several regulars from one dog park had a planned outing to Cherry Creek State Park off leash dog park. D and M (regulars that I care for) in one photo, dear Crosby in the other. It was such a fun time, with lots of laughs at the dogs. It was a hot day, and the water was wonderful for them. Crosby was a Rhodesian ridgeback. They never want moisture falling from the sky to fall on them. She loved running in the water, but stayed away from other dogs who might splash on her. I miss her so much still.
Crosby at Cherry Creek State Park.jpg
Darcie and Mavis at Cherry Creek State Park.jpg

Latest posts

Back