Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in the Hill Country. What town did you grow up in? Do you know a town called "Rocksprings?

I've lived in Fredricksberg, Boerne, Locke Hill, Poteet, LaCoste,San Marcos, Martindale, Gonzales and Medina. I loved Gonzales and consider it home. We looked at property in Rocksprings when I was a kid.

Collapsed bin in New Carlisle, Ohio spill
Collapsed corn bin.jpg
s 10,000 tons of corn onto State Route 571.

Nasty creatures! I once saw one while sitting in an outdoor restaurant in Kansas City. A restaurant worker, maybe owner or manager, tried to kill it. A woman got very upset with the man.

Back in 2000 I let my dogs out and when I called them back in my dog brought in a possum. He set it down in front of me and it got up and walked back out the door. I was not expecting that and it scared the begebbers out of me!

I've lived in Fredricksberg, Boerne, Locke Hill, Poteet, LaCoste,San Marcos, Martindale, Gonzales and Medina. I loved Gonzales and consider it home. We looked at property in Rocksprings when I was a kid.
Small world! We played football in some of those towns. We still go to Fredricksburg occasionally to chill. I was born in San Angelo and raised in Rocksprings.

Small world! We played football in some of those towns. We still go to Fredricksburg occasionally to chill. I was born in San Angelo and raised in Rocksprings.

I broke down in San Angelo. Timing belt broke in the middle of a construction zone. We were stuck on a holiday weekend with a 6 month old baby. One of the Churches put us up for the night, found someone to fix it and had us back on the road the next day.

Certainly not a pretty thing, but posted by the city of Yankton, SD. "Most fat that is poured down the drains is in liquid form, but when it hits the cold pipes underground the grease hardens on the walls of sewer lines. A popular myth is that running hot water down the drain will prevent this from occurring, but the ground surrounding the pipe keeps it cool, allowing the fat to cling to the walls of the pipe. Over a period of weeks or months the fat will harden in the pipes, eventually causing the pipe to become completely blocked. Sometimes these blockages can cause sewage to back up into your home or your neighbor’s home causing hazard and inconvenience to the inhabitants. Instead of pouring fats down the drain, allow to cool and solidify, then scrape it out and dispose of it in your household trash."

Grease in drain line.jpg

Certainly not a pretty thing, but posted by the city of Yankton, SD. "Most fat that is poured down the drains is in liquid form, but when it hits the cold pipes underground the grease hardens on the walls of sewer lines. A popular myth is that running hot water down the drain will prevent this from occurring, but the ground surrounding the pipe keeps it cool, allowing the fat to cling to the walls of the pipe. Over a period of weeks or months the fat will harden in the pipes, eventually causing the pipe to become completely blocked. Sometimes these blockages can cause sewage to back up into your home or your neighbor’s home causing hazard and inconvenience to the inhabitants. Instead of pouring fats down the drain, allow to cool and solidify, then scrape it out and dispose of it in your household trash."

View attachment 3150
I pour it in an empty Dog Food Can, then wait till it hardens. Its really sad. I only get fat in a pan when I cook Bacon. Its a Shame.

View attachment 3150
What I want to know is where did you get the CT scan of my arteries?

View attachment 3150

I worked in a hospital in downtown Seattle.
I got a frantic call one morning to get to the X-Ray department.
There was a brown slug flowing down the hall.
It was about 6" deep and the smell was horrible.
A 12" sewer line had plugged up with grease from the burger place across the street and the line was completely closed off.
When the pressure finally built up enough it exploded at the lowest point in the line which was our X-Ray department.
Raw sewage burst out of the sinks and toilets and hit the ceiling then rolled down the hall.
It took over 3 months to get everything cleaned and the department back to full operation.
The event was forever called a Code Brown.

I pour it in an empty Dog Food Can, then wait till it hardens. Its really sad. I only get fat in a pan when I cook Bacon. Its a Shame.
I save my bacon grease in a jar in the fridge. My grandmother used to use it in some of her baking. I don't use it in my baking, but I do use it for frying eggs and other things instead of oil and other fats.

Bacon fat is great for biscuits! It is also good for green beans and bean or pea soup.

Bacon fat is great for biscuits! It is also good for green beans and bean or pea soup.
Bacon is great in green beans with a little onion and garlic, so I can appreciate the idea of bacon grease in green beans as well. Canned green beans is one thing I keep on hand, but I really prefer fresh green beans. I can see doctoring up the canned green beans with a little bacon grease.

possum.jpg
Possums are useful critters. If frightened they will hiss & show their teeth but if further challenged they will roll over & feign unconsciousness, (hence the term "playing possum"). The generally do not carry diseases and, as a side benefit, they eat loads and loads of ticks.
---tort--

View attachment 3180 Possums are useful critters. If frightened they will hiss & show their teeth but if further challenged they will roll over & feign unconsciousness, (hence the term "playing possum"). The generally do not carry diseases and, as a side benefit, they eat loads and loads of ticks.
---tort--
I have heard that they do a lot of good, but they are scary looking, especially when they hiss and show their teeth.

Latest posts

Back