Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, yes, the "solar abuse"---that's what my friends & I have always called it. And it's real too, especially when sailing or otherwise being on the water. Elevation will also increase your chances of getting fried, which leads me to the short story I'm about to relate.

When I was in the Army, posted to Fort Lewis, WA, Mount Rainier was only a short distance away. Half a dozen of us took my Olds 98 and drove up there one weekend... three guys stayed in the lodge at Paradise, looking to hit on women, while the rest of us hiked up Mt. Rainier for several hours.

Paradise Lodge lies at something like 7000' in elevation, while we three hikers made it up to Anvil Rock around 11000' in elevation. There we kicked back and drank alcohol we had hauled up there, lol... no protection, nada, just shorts and sunglasses. We were all white too, from wearing uniforms on duty.

While we were kicking back, a couple of mountaineers passed us on their way up to the summit... they were all decked out in mondo gear, and they looked over at us like we were absolutely crazy, lol. And we were too, because we all got FRIED by the sun at that elevation, I'm talking Maine Lobster Red by the time it was all over and done.

By the time we returned to the barracks, all three of us were HURTIN', it was the most painful sunburn I've ever had, and the other guys had it worse because they weren't used to the solar abuse. One guy had to go on "profile" the next morning, he couldn't move from his rack. He was very fair-skinned, so that was part of the problem.

Thinking back, we might have had some sunscreen which we applied in the lodge parking lot, but that was soon sweated off and we were only climbing higher with each step. I'll tell ya, that sun can be fierce at elevation, no two ways about it. You gotta have protection, otherwise you pay the price for ignorance, lol.

Meh, you're only young once, and you're entitled to make some bad decisions, lol... but the three of us all peeled like crazy, that was one wicked sunburn session. The kind that leads to malignant melanoma, lol... but having said all that, we still had a blast on Anvil Rock, the view from that rock is absolutely spectacular! We just needed more protection from the sun... :rolleyes:

My great grand daughter

284483985_10227585283526233_2531933704825197481_n.jpg

Wow, nice shots! Once I get more settled here, I'm gonna break out some cool pics I took during my 'trucking daze'---they are paper photos in scrap books, so I'll have to shoot 'em again, most likely, but there are some good ones in there. ;)

Wow, nice shots! Once I get more settled here, I'm gonna break out some cool pics I took during my 'trucking daze'---they are paper photos in scrap books, so I'll have to shoot 'em again, most likely, but there are some good ones in there. ;)
I have a collection of sunsets mostly from my front stoop. Here are some of them.

DSCN0439.jpg

DSCN0451.jpg

DSCN0726.jpg

DSCN0884.jpg

DSCN1383.jpg

DSCN2774.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

DSCN0516.jpg

DSCN0591.jpg

God puts on these light shows 3 or more days a week.

Ben

Attachments

• 20160501_202630.jpg
    20160501_202630.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 13
@Wingnut I can confirm the sunburn at elevation. A few years back, I was working in Little Gore Canyon near a village called Radium, Colorado. This pic is the exact place where we were.
Screenshot_20220606-213449_Chrome.jpg

We were around 8,000 feet high. Now, you mountain types might not think that's very high but to a flatlander from Iowa it's way up there. I think it was May and the temps might be 25° at 5:30am but might be 82° at 3pm and it was always sunny. Once it warmed up and the warm clothes came off, my bare arms and neck got scorched. I've only ever had one other sunburn that bad in my life. I had blisters and my arms looked like a snake trying to molt. I always keep that in mind now when I'm working at over 5,000 feet...

I'm gonna break out some cool pics I took during my 'trucking daze'---they are paper photos in scrap books

I scan mine into a file.

A navy buddy passed out laying face down in a lounge chair at the pool in the Philippines and burnt the bottom of his feet.

I passed out once in a lawn chair in the back of my pick up on Daytona Beach. Um, yeah, I won't do that again, lol.

Latest posts

Back