Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taiwan blue magpie... @Magpie something a little different...

Taiwan blue magpie.jpeg

Smart young man. He's got some cuties in class with him
Reminds me how in my Home Ec class there was one boy. He specifically asked to have himself put in home ec class so he could learn to sew and cook. One day the substitute teacher caused a fire in an oven (she turned it on with a box of pizza inside- then shoved the flaming box into the hands of a student who panicked, ran outside and threw it in a plastic trash can that melted). Fire alarms went off so we all went outside. A bunch of guys started poking fun at the one boy in Home Ec class. He said something along the lines "Why would I want to be stuck in a sausagefest with you ugly guys when I can be surrounded by the ladies?" Several of the girls put their arms around him and said women appreciate a man who can cook and sew. Kid made his own apron and wore it almost every day in class because he was so proud of himself.

Last november I played this very guitar in nashville. The msrp was $5300. It came with a nice internal electronics package and a hard shell case. Exactly what I'd expect for that kind of money, beautiful wood, great sound and played played like a dream. And a few bells and whistles...

This morning I was shopping guitar cases and happened by the taylor website. I checked this same guitar. It's now $6000 msrp with a very basic electronics package. I guess they are pricing for inflation. Who can afford a good guitar at that price? I don't think they'll be selling a lot of them. :(

Gurhn 15nov22 453a.JPG

Turn up the radio. Problem solved.
If you were as deaf as I am you could never hear a rattle.
I bought one of those Foxx super loud whistles and I can't hear it.
It's at the frequency I will never hear again.
You are the third person to tell me this. With my OCD, nope, I will find it! Remember, I tore my grandfather clock apart 4 times trying to get it running smoothly.
To keep up with the theme, here is today's pics of my Texas grandkids.

Attachments

• IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 0
Been working on an annoying rattle in my dash/center console. 2 hours later, rattle is still there. :dunno:

While you have it apart… replace everything… dummy me, I took a new job. Gave up a company car for a vehicle allowance. I was working 14hrs a day 7x. My old pickup had a leaky heater core, needed replaced that fall. I took a sunday, pulled the dash out, replaced the core.

2 months later with the first snowfall the bearing in the heater fan seized. Oh Crap!!!! now I have to pull out the dash in the snow. 🤬 And I was a service guy, replaced old equipment all the time. Knew darn well its better to replace things before they fail!!! So while it's apart? :)

Last edited:
While you have it apart… replace everything… dummy me, I took a new job. Gave up a company car for a vehicle allowance. I was working 14hrs a day 7x. My old pickup had a leaky heater core, needed replaced that fall. I took a sunday, pulled the dash out, replaced the core.

2 months later with the first snowfall the bearing in the heater fan seized. Oh Crap!!!! now I have to pull out the dash in the snow. 🤬 And I was a service guy, replaced old equipment all the time. Knew darn well its better to replace things before they fail!!! So while it's apart? :)
The car only has 22000 miles. I agree if it was older. I'd replace with new parts.

Funny, previously I wouldn’t have thought the material a bridge pin is made from would make such a difference in the way an instrument sounds.

In the past I used oem pins. They were cheap and I tend to lose them. Pop a string on a dark stage… good luck finding the pin if you drop it. Since those days are gone I upgraded my pins from oem plastic to fossilized walrus at $10 per pin.

I did my research into pins, the statement “they make a guitar sound better” wasn’t good enough, how? I discovered, the harder the material of a pin, the more the attenuation of string vibration. String vibration creates a wide range of sounds. All of them aren’t good.

My guitar has a lot of natural volume. I noticed immediately these new pins took some of it’s volume away. I wasn’t happy with them but in the days that followed… I realized they made the tones much cleaner. So even though I lost volume I gained a lot of clarity. The guitar sounded much better.

I got another surprise. I wear out a set of strings in about 10 days. At that point they were dead, sounded horrible to my ears. With these new pins I could play a set of strings another 7-10days. Almost doubling the life span. The strings were badly worn, dead… but the tones were crystal clear, not loud dull noise. Saves me $30 a month on strings and sounds better? A no brainer.

Today I put on another set and switched back to the oem pins for comparison. My extra volume came back but I already miss the clarity. But I cut my strings a little long just in case I wanted to switch back before it was time to change strings. I now have room to loosen the strings and change pins without taking the strings completely off.

I wish I had a set of cow jaw bone pins. Their hardness is between plastic and walrus. I think they’ll give the best balance of clarity and volume for my guitar.

20230319_pins 843a.jpg

Last edited:
Back