Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20230704_110137107.jpg

Snack time!! Several of the people I clean for save partial loaves of bread, chips, cookies, and crackers for me to take home to feed to the deer. I am often met at the truck when I get home by the "snackers" seeing if I have anything!

What kind of fish. They look very big.
We caught red snapper, trigger fish, yellow eyed snapper, red grouper, warsaw grouper, sea bass and coby.

The sea bass and coby were smaller, and we couldn't keep red snapper or warsaw grouper in the area we were at. The warsaw grouper was over 30 pounds. The red groupers were 12 or 15 pounds and we caught a ton of red snapper that were in the 8 to 12 pound range.

For any fans, a tshirt advertised on their website. Evidently you can buy shirts etc directly from them. I liked their burgers, best in southern cali.

View attachment 111300
Their store is about 20 minutes from my house. Their biggest sellers are the Van's shoes with their red palm tree logo on them. Since they were local people, I've been to the owner's house (a 20,000 sq ft mansion actually) and was shocked when both mom and dad died in a horrific plane crash.

https://shop.in-n-out.com/collections/men/products/drink-cup-shoes
1688565496747.png

Home Sweet Home!

FDD61F61-B1F5-43F9-A677-7E4C91493484.jpeg

Went to my favorite creek today. Water was a little cloudy due to recent rains. There are more medicinal species than I can count down this creek. Plenty of yellowroot of course.

Also, (bottom) Handsome Harry aka Deer Grass aka Rhexia virginica. It's blooming everywhere now. Once started via seed it then spreads via it's roots so I usually see it in patches like this one. The blooms are yellow and blue.

It's edible, deer love it. I've have the had blooms on salads, tasty.

20230706_Freecrk 646a.jpg
20230706_Freecrk 717a.jpg
20230706_Freecrk 729a.jpg
20230706_handsom26.jpg

Last edited:
My feed bill for the rabbits this quarter. I feel much poorer now...! Not to mention I had to get pellet bedding from TS as well. But that is $8 for 50lbs.

EE8CD847-5341-4521-B25E-B62AB8D4FC1F_1_201_a.jpeg

For an "armed far-right extremist", the police don't seem to be terribly concerned about this guy. Just goes to show who the real problem is, and it doesn't appear to be the conservatives on the right.

View attachment 111507
I wonder if he got over time for his undercover shift.

My feed bill for the rabbits this quarter. I feel much poorer now...! Not to mention I had to get pellet bedding from TS as well. But that is $8 for 50lbs.

View attachment 111519

Bunnies were a money pit for me. I didn’t have time to try to make it profitable. Dad and I still farmed then. In fact, i didn’t want the darn things to begin with. A lady I know had some roosters I needed. To get 3 she insisted I take 5 rabbits. She was very ill, trying to find homes for all her critters. I couldn’t say no. I finally sold them to a mexican lady along with the cages. All I did was buy feed and carry water.

I wish you luck with yours! :)

Here’s a better pic of the plant I posted above… Deer Grass aka Rhexia virginica.

Rhexia virginica  (5).jpg

Bunnies were a money pit for me. I didn’t have time to try to make it profitable. Dad and I still farmed then. In fact, i didn’t want the darn things to begin with. A lady I know had some roosters I needed. To get 3 she insisted I take 5 rabbits. She was very ill, trying to find homes for all her critters. I couldn’t say no. I finally sold them to a mexican lady along with the cages. All I did was buy feed and carry water.

I wish you luck with yours! :)

Here’s a better pic of the plant I posted above… Deer Grass aka Rhexia virginica.

View attachment 111521
I make them pay for their own feed and hay right now. I breed a few litters, sell some bunny poop, sell a few of the kits, butcher the rest for meat (family and the pets) and use the money from the sale of the kits and poop to buy feed and hay. I plan to grow a small plot of hay when we move as well as a rabbit garden to offset feed costs. The type of feed will change since the one I use now is a local feed that costs a fortune on Amazon and Chewy.com. I also plan to forage and grow fodder to help with feed costs after the move. The goal is to fill one of the freezers with rabbit to feed the dogs and cats (with chicken and quail) to cut that food bill and lower our over all expenses for the animals. So far they are paying for themselves with a bit put aside for new cages.

Latest posts

Back