Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last published image of my younger brother

View attachment 110326

Two years my younger died today. Reason unknown.

The news put an edge on Todays experience.

Ben
I'm so sorry!! 😮♥️ I lost my brother to cancer back in October, knew it was coming and that was/is hard! My deepest sympathies for your unexpected loss!

1687195939863.png

Gray 18-36 Drum Drive tractor, it has a Waukesha engine. Odd tractor, I'm never seen one that looked like this. Not even on the tractor fever show. I think it ran threshers etc, used for it's belt drive capability. The rear wheel (drum) would be fine in large flat wheat fields. Not practical for other parts of the country.

b Gray 18-36 Drum Drive tractor has a Waukesha engine.jpeg

Sorry to hear about the deaths of brothers. Backlash, my father died March 23, 2009. I hate March 23 now.

Was out of some of the cat food and had to go up to samsclub to get it. Took a pic of my dash reading in the parking lot.
100°F. But at least I was getting 18mpg after putting seafoam in the gas tank. Not bad for a truck.
1687228399518.png

Oresund Bridge Between Sweden and Denmark is, Longest Bridge and tunnel in Europe !!

The bridge that comes from Sweden turns into a tunnel under the sea and reappears in Denmark; both countries are united by this beautiful work of Engineering.

It has a total length of 16 kilometers and connects Denmark with Sweden through the Øresund Strait.

1687351495581.png

Moments ago I went to get the eggs... found this in a nest. A mature chicken snake, old and grumpy, about 6ft. I knew he wasn't going anywhere so I walked to the house and got the .22.

Got him!

Edit to add... his eyes looked odd, not cloudy but not exactly clear. The skin looked fine, except not a shiny as usual. I think he was about to shed his skin. I've found snakes that were just beginning to shed. I've never seen one this early in the process before.

20230621_143141sm.jpg
20230621_143245sm.jpg

Last edited:
Moments ago I went to get the eggs... found this in a nest. A mature chicken snake, old and grumpy, about 6ft. I knew he wasn't going anywhere so I walked to the house and got the .22.

Got him!

Edit to add... his eyes looked odd, not cloudy but not exactly clear. The skin looked fine, except not a shiny as usual. I think he was about to shed his skin. I've found snakes that were just beginning to shed. I've never seen one this early in the process before.

View attachment 110515View attachment 110516
How did it taste? I like mine with crab boil and chili powder.

Yeah, sounds like the snake was getting close to shedding. Its harder for them to see around that time and they tend to get cranky.
We had a chickensnake in the living room a few years back. It ate mice so I left alone. It slithered under the stove and I heard a mouse scream and decided the snanke wasn't bad. If I still had chickens it would be a problem though.

This is the toilet paper holder that will be going up in my bathroom. There will be wainscoting where its going but I figure I can remove it to put wainscoting up and put it back up after its installed. Had it sitting around for well over a decade.
1687491274981.png

Found these today... used to live about 10miles from here. Winter is my favorite time to see niagra. The falls throw up a huge cloud of mist.

In winter the mist turns to ice crystals in the air, looks like millions of diamonds in bright sunlight. And they make ice rainbows which are more pale than mist rainbows.

nf001.jpg
nf002.jpg
nf003.jpg
nf004.jpg

I used a kow kant kick contraption. It's basically a big clamp placed over the back just in front of the hip bones and udder.

Tightened just a little, it's impossible for a cow to kick when you get up close and personal. A few days to a week and it's not needed any more. Very handy when a first time beef cow with a problem calf is in a chute.

Cows kick outwards so a chute doesn't prevent getting your shins shortened and when hand milking, the chute gets in the way. I never had the luxury of a milking machine. Up until three years ago, I milked four Jerseys.

The old way is to tie the tail straight up. It deadens the nerves in the back end and they can't kick.

I used to be the one up top of the chute pulling bull tails up while someone else made girly boys out of them. If I let go, that someone paid dearly.

Last edited:
My great aunt introduced me to milking about .... 59 years ago. What powers your milking gizmo ?

Curious,

Ben
Likely the forearm muscles.
I still have a little bit of my "Popeye-forearms" muscles left from milking every day when when I was a teen.
Us growing kids needed 1.5-2.0 gallons every day, and that is a LOT of squeezing!

(notice her bucket is over half-full! :oops:)

The old way is to tie the tail straight up. It deadens the nerves in the back end and they can't kick.

I have never heard that! Does it work immediately? Or a delayed reaction?

I've grabbed/twisted quite a few tails in a loading chute trying to load a stubborn cow. Seems there's always one that doesn't want to get on the trailer. (or even worse, one near the front turns around in the chute and blocks the rest)

Funny, most folks don't know a cow kicks sideways. They can't kick backwards like a horse. Seen a few people learn that the hard way. Now donkey's are a different kettle of fish. They kick backwards like a horse but can get a sideways arc to their backward kicks... and deadly accurate!! They rarely miss.

Have to tell this... years ago I had several horses and donkeys. Had just gotten a gsd. I was out by the gate one afternoon and the critters came up to beg for apple slices. The dog didn't know what to think of big livestock. But a couple times she reached under a barbwire fence and nipped at the rear hoof of a horse. I scolded her but she couldn't help herself. Then one of the donkeys walked up. The dog reached under to nip... and learned that donkeys can see their rear hooves (unlike a horse).

The jack kicked the dog in the head, hard. The dog backed up and sat down trying to keep upright. I thought she was really hurt, it sounded like a baseball bat hitting something. The dog never messed with a donkey again... or a horse for that matter!! Was fine after a couple minutes, lesson learned though!

This is her, another great dog I miss, she had the fiercest heart of any animal I've ever been around. And off the charts smart! Her name was Ten, a working dog. She only knew german commands when I got her. I got tired of shouting 'Nein' (no), so I shouted nein, ten! It stuck...

Ten Best a.jpg

Latest posts

Back