Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut,

You hold the tail up as straight as you can get it without bending it backwards onto the spine. It works immediately as long as there is stiff tension. No tension and it's immediately useless. The cow should be prevented from moving side to side.

I had to do my yearling steers myself. I would get them in the crappy non-hydrolic chute with the butt bar behind them. I rigged a pulley system to raise and hold the tail while I got the calcrate band (for older bulls) on them. They stayed completely still although I always worried that the tail would slip loose and I would have my head rearranged violently.

I used a kow kant kick contraption. It's basically a big clamp placed over the back just in front of the hip bones and udder.

Tightened just a little, it's impossible for a cow to kick when you get up close and personal. A few days to a week and it's not needed any more. Very handy when a first time beef cow with a problem calf is in a chute.

Cows kick outwards so a chute doesn't prevent getting your shins shortened and when hand milking, the chute gets in the way. I never had the luxury of a milking machine. Up until three years ago, I milked four Jerseys.

The old way is to tie the tail straight up. It deadens the nerves in the back end and they can't kick.

I used to be the one up top of the chute pulling bull tails up while someone else made girly boys out of them. If I let go, that someone paid dearly.
I bought a kow kant kick, it's to big for her on its smallest setting. Shes a small Dexter, only 38" tall so far. She still has some growing to do so may hit 40".
I have her right rear foot tied to the chute behind her, she can still kick but can't reach forward with it to hit the milk lines. Or me... Shes learing that kicking doesn't work.

Likely the forearm muscles.
I still have a little bit of my "Popeye-forearms" muscles left from milking every day when when I was a teen.
Us growing kids needed 1.5-2.0 gallons every day, and that is a LOT of squeezing!

(notice her bucket is over half-full! :oops:)

I have arthritis in my hands so I bought a machine.

We milked up until I was in grade school. I remember thinking the school lunch rm tried to poison me with what they called milk (pasteurized). I thought it was awful. I was about 8 when we stopped keeping milk cows, strictly beef production until 2018.

Here's a couple odd photos I ran across... These days I feel like this tractor looks...

tractorwhat.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you use some sort of telescope? That is amazing!

My picture is much more lame. I started to lose my balance and got the image off center. Put a moving blanket over the window.
didn't notice the tag until after. I can cut it off if the cats try to mess with it, but otherwise it doesn't bother me. The bottom is high enough that the cats and dogs can still get on the windowsill and look out without feeling they have to tear up the blanket.
1688010782328.png

Shoutout to my handy dandy Arrow electric stapler and an extension cord. LOL.

I love the taste
My neice poured a shot into her margarita and it brought that drink to a new level
Buy a bottle of everclear 2 is better
Pour it into Gallon jug
Add to the jug. A piece of white oak
Kinddeling about 6” long and small enough to go through the hole
Char the white first
Also add a 1/4 cup caramel
Seal the jug and set it on a shelf for 3 days
Taste test. Is the flavor smoky enough? If not another day, test repeat till you are happ

If you want to lower the alchol to 80 proof. Add a bottle of 40 proof

Nice day fishing
Was a great trip. The fishing charter was our birthday present to our oldest, he turned 18 the next day and is an absolute fishing fanatic. He probably spends 250 days a year out on the water, frozen or not. It was awesome that my dad was able to come with us as well, he had an absolute blast as well. Mom stayed on shore with my sister and her family, she doesn't like fishing, doesn't like fish, doesn't like boats, so it would have been miserable for her.

We probably caught 60 fish between all of us. The red snapper were running hard, but where we were at, we couldn't keep any of them. My wife caught the yellow eye snapper, which was a pretty rare fish for the area we were fishing at. The youngest caught the trigger fish, but he didn't want to hold it, so papa volunteered to hold his for him instead of the grouper he caught.

Got the controls, showerhead, & tub spout on as well as the trim in my bathroom.
View attachment 111111
Still need to calk and cleanup and get the curtain rod up. The rod at the back is to hang some hooks for loofas and back scrubbers. Even got the cove molding up in the corners.
It's come a long way!! Looking great Z!!

Latest posts

Back