Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful, taken by you in ak? don't imagine I'll ever see it, wanted to since I was a kid. Wouldn't want to be there in winter, my bones are too old. Come to think of it, didn't care for hard winters when I was young either. 😁 Norway was just too cold.

Did you take this photo today? Are those dandelions? Time to make a salad from the leaves! :)

The wife took the picture as I was getting ready to mow. Yes, Alaska and our wonderful and delicious dandelions.

I finally decided to try out the new Member's Mark disinfectant wipes on my wall to see if I could get rid of the dead skin/dirt all along it. I still need to clean lower and higher and I think there are some permanent stains, but it looks better.
1686692239906.png

I stumbled across this very real photo.
View attachment 109915THE SECOND VULTURE:
"In the 1990s, there was a widely circulated photo of a vulture waiting for a starving little girl to die and feast on her corpse. That photo was taken during the 1993/94 famine in Sudan by Kevin Carter, a South African photojournalist, who later won the Pulitzer Prize for this 'amazing shot'.

However, as Kevin Carter was savouring his feat and being celebrated on major news channels and networks worldwide for such an 'exceptional photographic skill', he lived just for a few months to enjoy his supposed achievement and fame, as he later got depressed and took his own life!

*Kevin Carter's depression started, when during one of such interviews (a phone-in program), someone called in and asked him what happened to the little girl. He simply replied, "I didn't wait to find out after this shot, as I had a flight to catch..." Then the caller said, "I put it to you that there were two vultures on that day, one had a camera."

Thus, his constant thought of that statement later led to depression and he ultimately committed suicide. Kevin Carter could have still been alive today and even much more famous, if he had just picked that little girl up and taken her to the United Nations Feeding Center, where she was attempting to reach or at least take her somewhere safe.*

Today, regrettably, this is what is happening all around the world. The world celebrates stupidity and inhumane acts at the detriment of others. Kevin Carter could've taken the girl away from that place, yet he didn't. Here is the inhumane posture, "he had all the time to take this shot, but he had no time to save the girl's life."

Thus, we must all understand that the purpose of life is to also touch lives. So are you too a Vulture? In whatever we do, let humanity come first before what we stand to gain out of the situation. In all we do, let's always think of others and how we can be of benefit to humanity, how we can lend a helping hand and wipe away tears. Hence, when we seek knowledge, wealth, fame, skills, or even positions, let's think of how we can use it to benefit the people and society at large."
Why I put the love emoji: not because this little girl probably didn't make it, but for adding the write up. What a power photo and message. Let us all be thankful and heed warning. 🙏

Now snake, I like deep fried rattler!
I'm hoping Nutria gets this far north before I totally have to stop hunting!
If its anything like a big fat river rat, it'll be tasty!

I hope I don’t get a thread ban for posting videos in a picture thread, but these are the same moose family that i posted a page or two earlier. Mom has a unique color, so this makes identification easier. We have another family of three and a family of two hanging around.

Sorry for the background noise. I was inside operating something not know the wife was filming this.

Enjoy!

Missing my horses today. Got news yesterday, they’ve settled in, slowly warming to their new owners. I told the guy a little thing that’ll help. Present the back of his hand to the horses. It’s how I always greeted them, they’d lick the back of my hand.

The guy didn’t know donkey’s ‘swap breath’ as a greeting either. The donkeys will put their nostril together and just breathe, taking deeper breaths, usually the left. My donkey would greet me that way, put his left nostril almost touching my nose and just breathe.

20230610_hrsessm.jpg

Very humid here, and hot. Trees far away get a grey, hazy appearance, taken today. The gate needs repair, actually the whole fence line needs replaced. No longer my problem, don't own any livestock.

20230617_frm59sm.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, back when I smoked, it was a popular thing to do. Never knew why, but it makes sense reading that, especially with non-filtered smokes from back in the day.
Been 16 years since I lit up...
I just remember all the 'brothers' always opening the bottom of their pack.
They did that so when it spent the day in their front shirt pocket, all of the dust from the stuff they worked on didn't land on the filters and end up in their mouth.
o698cxn1o6h51.jpg

I hope I don’t get a thread ban for posting videos in a picture thread, but these are the same moose family that i posted a page or two earlier. Mom has a unique color, so this makes identification easier. We have another family of three and a family of two hanging around.

Sorry for the background noise. I was inside operating something not know the wife was filming this.

Enjoy!

View attachment 110180
Um. you uploaded the mp3. LOL

It shows up as a video on my system, .mov format.
You're fine. At least it plays in the window.
I clicked on one Media.gab .mp4 link here and watched it lock my tablet up for over 10 minutes while it downloaded an incredible 80mb into memory that I didn't have to spare gaah.
Edit: (sorry, forgot the pic :()
62.jpg

Last edited:
@Alaskajohn I had a similar issue after going to the folk school. I had several videos over a gig in size which I couldn't post here. It's sort of complicated getting a video onto the forum, a 2 step process unless I wished to copy and post just a portion of the video, then there were 3 steps.

I first copied the videos from my phone onto my desktop which has the horse power to process them.

Then I used...

1) VLC media player to convert my camera video to mp4 (vlc offers conversion to many formats)

2) Optional - VidCutter if I needed to save just a portion of the video in question. I can select a portion from the middle or ends. It allows me to set the start/end cut points and then save as a new file just the part I want to post.

3) HandBrake - to resize the video from 1080p down to 480p, or 360p, or even 288p. This drastically reduces the physical size but also the quality. (but this is cell phone video, not shooting a feature film)

I resized or copied parts of videos that were a 1GB in size down to 4-8MB and posted them to the forum as mp4's without issue. I wasn't worried about the video quality only the audio. These changes don't noticeably affect the audio recorded with a cell phone (poor audio anyway).

I use linux, I believe each of these programs is available for win10.

(I did some audio editing on some of the videos... that gets complicated, have to take a video apart then recompile it)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back