Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother was bitten by a chickensnake once. It was in our chickenhouse and she grabbed it to take it out. Some of its teeth actually came out and stuck in her skin. Apparently it didn't have a very painful bite because she didn't drop it. I don't remember what she did with it, but I think my father might have cut its head of with a machete.

I drilled the hole for the shower arm. I hope the arm is long enough for the showerhead to fit. If not, I might have to get an 8" arm.
1686272175557.png

Really beautiful!! Thank you Zanne!!
They also smell nice. They grow like weeds and if you cut them down they grow back because they are bulb plants, but I really like them. Two of my late elderly friends had them in their yards. I got the yellow from one of them and white from the other. I think the pink ones were already here but can't recall. Pink are the most prolific.
I need to get more of the white and yellow and plant them separately. They are super easy to plant too. Pretty much just toss the seeds on the ground. Their common name is "4 o'clock flower".

I need to get more of the white and yellow and plant them separately. They are super easy to plant too. Pretty much just toss the seeds on the ground. Their common name is "4 o'clock flower".
No pictures of years past, sorry.

I had the purple ones in NC. Beautiful scent in the afternoons/evenings. Nice after sunset when you could open the windows to get the night breeze through the house. Filled it with that scent.

Tried to get some started here in Delaware. HUGE bush! We are talking 6’+ range all of mixed colors. I was so excited when it started growing that large. But…. Not stinky - at all. Absolutely no scent from them!! No color has any aroma at all. Very disappointing. Any idea why some are stinky and some are not? We have the full range of colors too and none stink. ☹

Woody, maybe its the soil type or something (or lack of something) in the water/rain? That can affect the flavor of fruit and I think it can affect the smell. I saw that there are red 4 o'clocks and I want to plant them. I also want purple.
Although, I haven't noticed as much of an odor from mine recently but it could be because of allergies & having gone noseblind to a lot of things.

I had a visitor on my bed and area around my bed.
1686424455439.png

It's probably looking for food or a place to build a web. Not sure what kind it is, but I chased it away from the bed so I don't accidentally squish it.

I had a visitor on my bed and area around my bed.
View attachment 109848
It's probably looking for food or a place to build a web. Not sure what kind it is, but I chased it away from the bed so I don't accidentally squish it.
It's just a wolf spider, harmless bug-eater:
wolf-spider-on-a-leaf.jpg

I'm just curious what is behind that window...
Looks like a gigantic frog eating a snake! o_O

I like the stripes on it. Wolf spiders have never bothered me.
The "window" is a drawer. I had to look inside to see what that was.
There was a cooling fan with a cord that goes around the neck. I think it has battery power for when the power goes out and charges via USB
1686426881861.png

And the top end of a hand fan Mom got me. It's fancier than my tastes but it works in a pinch.
1686426962023.png

IMG_2030.jpeg
IMG_2030.jpeg

Exactly 3 months from tonight, on September 10th, will be the installation banquet of the officers for the coming year, and the end of four days of camaraderie between Brothers in Arms. The annual meeting of the Society of the 5th Infantry Division.
I’ll be there with my older daughter, she went with me in 2021 and was amazed to see what few other civilians ever will.
This year it’s San Antonio, a 1,100 mile two day drive.
Next year Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

I’m an officer and board member.
I won’t say which one because it will blow my anonymity by simply looking on our website.
But, I’m there.
www.societyofthefifthdivision.com

I never amounted to much in life, just a poor country boy.
But the Lord has Blessed me way beyond measure.

No pictures of years past, sorry.

I had the purple ones in NC.

Speaking of NC... Junior Johnson's booking photo (of nascar fame). The feds caught him tending his daddy's still. They never caught him hauling liquor. They simply could not catch any car he was driving. 🤣

Junior Johnson.jpeg

When I was a kid & we lived in Virginia, my dad used to take us to the Smithsonian museums. I liked the natural history one with the critters. Got to hold a tarantula and learned to not be afraid of stuff. I later got a job at a zoo and worked with snakes. My sister was apparently afraid of snakes from a very young age but I wasn't.

The Vietnam picture made me think of my dad. I can't seem to find where he saved his pics from the Army. I know he'd had some but the folder seems to be missing from the computer. I backed up all of his files onto my computer.

I did find this while looking. Him as a kid. Not sure what age.
1686463133874.png

I realized I had a picture of him in a similar pose toward the end of his life.
1686463171293.png

I stumbled across this very real photo.
IMG_20230611_214344_457.jpg
THE SECOND VULTURE:
"In the 1990s, there was a widely circulated photo of a vulture waiting for a starving little girl to die and feast on her corpse. That photo was taken during the 1993/94 famine in Sudan by Kevin Carter, a South African photojournalist, who later won the Pulitzer Prize for this 'amazing shot'.

However, as Kevin Carter was savouring his feat and being celebrated on major news channels and networks worldwide for such an 'exceptional photographic skill', he lived just for a few months to enjoy his supposed achievement and fame, as he later got depressed and took his own life!

*Kevin Carter's depression started, when during one of such interviews (a phone-in program), someone called in and asked him what happened to the little girl. He simply replied, "I didn't wait to find out after this shot, as I had a flight to catch..." Then the caller said, "I put it to you that there were two vultures on that day, one had a camera."

Thus, his constant thought of that statement later led to depression and he ultimately committed suicide. Kevin Carter could have still been alive today and even much more famous, if he had just picked that little girl up and taken her to the United Nations Feeding Center, where she was attempting to reach or at least take her somewhere safe.*

Today, regrettably, this is what is happening all around the world. The world celebrates stupidity and inhumane acts at the detriment of others. Kevin Carter could've taken the girl away from that place, yet he didn't. Here is the inhumane posture, "he had all the time to take this shot, but he had no time to save the girl's life."

Thus, we must all understand that the purpose of life is to also touch lives. So are you too a Vulture? In whatever we do, let humanity come first before what we stand to gain out of the situation. In all we do, let's always think of others and how we can be of benefit to humanity, how we can lend a helping hand and wipe away tears. Hence, when we seek knowledge, wealth, fame, skills, or even positions, let's think of how we can use it to benefit the people and society at large."

So much here to ponder on. Part of me agrees with the theory, but then the practical part of me kicks in. at some point Kevin / whoever would have had to walk away from that girl / the dog / the invalid, and what then. We can't carry them all. Vulture is a harsh term. I may not be the vulture that pecks, or streams videos on social media of car accidents, but sometimes do get drawn into certain news stories, (recently tent cities) and yet I turn off the tv and deal with what I can. The photographers/ journalists of this world are needed to remind us of what is out there. I'm sure Kevin wasn't standing alone when he took the picture - he had a driver etc. Anyone could have picked up that child.
I'm currently reading AA Gills essays- he was a journalist. The book is about essays/ news pieces published on various conflicts and situations he visited. The most recent one I've read is on the migrants coming from Africa to cross into Europe and how many drown. Rescuers dived to a sunken boat and found amongst others a woman who gave birth while drowning. The baby was still attached by the cord. Can you imagine? and still they come, ten years later, still they drown and still the same rescuers are there, because the powers that be don't make the effort to stop it. No more than they try and stop famine.
If Kevin Carter was alive he'd still be photographing dying children, and thats the shame of it all.
I'll probably look at this tomorrow and think- I could have written it so much better.

C94C04B3-3025-4857-AABE-862EB8759560.jpeg

I could never make it as a nature photographer or someone who photographs suffering. I would want to intervene. I might take a photo if I felt there was time and I would have gone and helped the child. Same with dogs or other animals if they are in danger. I'd want to help if it were safe to do so. I don't like people much and am not fond of children, but I would not leave a kid to die. I'm glad the little girl survived.

I posted this in another thread but thought it was cool. Cosima pottery dog circa 200BC to 200AD. Shown on Antiques Roadshow.
1686623872063.png

The black mark is from when it was fired. The red wasn't so vibrant on TV. Amazing for it to be in such condition after so long.

Beautiful, taken by you in ak? don't imagine I'll ever see it, wanted to since I was a kid. Wouldn't want to be there in winter, my bones are too old. Come to think of it, didn't care for hard winters when I was young either. 😁 Norway was just too cold.

Did you take this photo today? Are those dandelions? Time to make a salad from the leaves! :)

Latest posts

Back