Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can plug in outside and there's nothing, it's AT&T's problem!
They finally confirmed that there is an outage in our area so I'm not the only one affected. But they sure wasted my time acting like it was just me.

This is one of the fire ant bites on my leg from the other day. I popped it after taking the picture. It doesn't hurt but it itched for a bit.
1708389723305.png

Yellowstone?

Haven't been there yet. Planning a trip out west in 26 to hit several NPs. That and Glacier are the 2 at the top of the list
Been to Glacier also but have bad memories of that place, we hiked up a mountain and back down and on the way to the parking lot I twisted my ankle really bad and pretty much ruined the rest of the trip. Only time I ever hurt myself hiking and near the stupid parking lot not even on a difficult climb or anything

Make reservation early. Like a year early.
this was almost 20 years ago and yes I did have to make reservations a year in advance. I made it the day they opened up reservations for the next year. Same with Grand Canyon, Arcadia in Maine and pretty much everything in Utah also.
Failed to get one period at Yosemite but that's probably good, people got the plague there the week after we visited .

Sonya, I'm about a three-hour drive from YNP. Couple years back, I did a four-day trip with my GEO 275 class, Geology of Yellowstone National Park. We'd started with a six-week lecture series on the geography, history, botany/zoology, etc.; then finished with the trip.

We each had to prepare a 10-page paper. I did thermophilic bacteria, which was about as interesting as watching a croquet match featuring blindfolded players!

One of the things I did learn was that the chances of a caldera collapse ("super eruption") incident over the next 200-300 years is extremely remote. This is a good thing, because if there were an incident as big as the Island Park caldera eruption, a large portion of Idaho and Wyoming would go away.

YNP is a beautiful place indeed, but hideously crowded year-round. We usually hike the five NPs in Utah: Zion, Brice, Canyonlands, Arches, and Capitol Reef. Just as beautiful and almost as close (except for Zion, which is closer to Nevada), not nearly as crowded, and just as close to us as YNP.

Glacier NP is (or was) a great place, and it's right next door to Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta. but a large portion of the glaciers have disappeared, and the rest are shrinking fast. I'd suggest you go quickly.

They deserve much more recognition than they receive.
They kept the enemy completely baffled thru WW1 and much of WW2.
They spoke twenty-six different languages or dialects, only four or five of which were ever written.” Bloor had Choctaw Soldiers move troops and coordinate attacks from Oct. 26 to 28, 1918. The Choctaw coordinated an artillery attack that took the Germans by surprise. This surprise attack resulted in a much-needed victory for the 36th Infantry Division. There were a total of 18 Code Talkers, 16 in the 142nd Infantry Regiment and two in the 143rd.
https://www.thenmusa.org/articles/world-war-i-code-talkers/

View attachment 124865

found my photos of my favorite NP , anyone else on here been there? It's beautiful
I've been there three times. The last time that I was there, I found out that my best childhood friend was in the park at the same time. No cell service, so we couldn't figure out how to meet up.

found my photos of my favorite NP , anyone else on here been there? It's beautiful

I was there 40yrs ago, no appointment necessary. It was a great summer. 2 navy buddies and i got orders for the east coast. Were in california, summer, had 30 days travel and leave.

Drove 2 vehicles, girlfriends came on the trip. I drove 8K miles from cali to virginia 😁 . We zig-zaged across the country seeing all the sights we could, camped most nights. Finally split up in Minnesota, i continued to alabama then virginia with a few more stops.

Had a blast!!!! Saw the tetons, yellowstone, was at rushmore on the 4th of july!

Crappy picture, old scan..

Old Faithful.jpg

Ok, I have stared at this picture until my eyes are crossed and cannot figure out how the yellow 'T'-handles can be rotated 90° to turn the valves off if they are mounted to the wall.
Maybe it is just the angle of the picture:dunno:.
@havasu how about post a pic with the valves closed?:)

Last edited:
Reservations to stay in an accommodation there? Or to drive through the park? We've always just pulled up to the gate, paid our fees and driven through. Last time we got a motel room outside of the park.
reservations to camp in the park. The nearest motel outside the park was a long way from it from what I remember ( on the Wyoming entrance side)
there were no showers at the campgrounds either, you had to go to a seperate building and pay for them
but like I said this was long ago, so maybe things have changed

Latest posts

Back