Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unrelated Question for you. I completely tore my rear knee meniscus five years ago.
I can’t kneel and I can’t squat. It rules out most types of outdoor “bathrooms”.

Maybe I missed it in reviewing this thread again, but has anyone thought about buying a portable hunting blind (tent like material) with some zip up sides, a roof, and a roll down windows and making it into a camouflage bathroom on their property?

I don’t like having to deal with this in a garage or anywhere in the house or basement.

We have 50 acres. Hunting is huge here. No one would ever question us having a portable hunting blind.

I’m thinking dig a hole, try to make it as snake proof as possible, and move it when necessary. Shovel dirt over the evidence and move on. Plenty of level spaces to do this.
Thoughts on this? We would of course have to anchor it from the winds and put it in the wooded area but that’s 40 of our 50 acres.

Unrelated Question for you. I completely tore my rear knee meniscus five years ago.
I can’t kneel and I can’t squat. It rules out most types of outdoor “bathrooms”.

Maybe I missed it in reviewing this thread again, but has anyone thought about buying a portable hunting blind (tent like material) with some zip up sides, a roof, and a roll down windows and making it into a camouflage bathroom on their property?

I don’t like having to deal with this in a garage or anywhere in the house or basement.

We have 50 acres. Hunting is huge here. No one would ever question us having a portable hunting blind.

I’m thinking dig a hole, try to make it as snake proof as possible, and move it when necessary. Shovel dirt over the evidence and move on. Plenty of level spaces to do this.
Thoughts on this? We would of course have to anchor it from the winds and put it in the wooded area but that’s 40 of our 50 acres.
Sounds like a great idea!!

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai..._iFt4n9AhVGOkQIHe9JBysQ9aACKAB6BAgEECQ&adurl=SG My dad has one of these. Not sure if this one is open on the bottom, but his is. If you have a hole dug, you could have a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out - so like a tube and set the potty seat on it. This would elevate the "going position" closer to what we are usually accustomed to in a house. (Does this make sense?)

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai..._iFt4n9AhVGOkQIHe9JBysQ9aACKAB6BAgEECQ&adurl=SG My dad has one of these. Not sure if this one is open on the bottom, but his is. If you have a hole dug, you could have a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out - so like a tube and set the potty seat on it. This would elevate the "going position" closer to what we are usually accustomed to in a house. (Does this make sense?)
The Princess has one of those for use on The Ridge.

Ben

Here is a link to a commode chair. The honey bucket is removable so you could dig a hole and place the chair above it. If you wanted to build a blind around it for privacy that would be doable.

We were going to do that, and priced several models, most well made. We ended up with a regular outhouse for what I believe was less money, compared to durable, long lasting outfits like seen at the farm store. About $600. Solid. No problems with wind. I can put grab bars in for extra stability for ‘old folks’. Could be moved easily enough. I figure with the hole beneath now that shouldn’t be a problem for years.
A local carpenter made ours. Not complicated. Very nice looking. Will gladly share pictures if anyone wants. Board and batten, stained.

Start hoarding Mayo, the everyday stuff has doubled, and the high-class stuff has tripled. Because of eggs, I assume. I ordered eight 30 oz. jugs of cheapest mayo today.
Amazon had several brands on sale last week cheap. I didn't get any. I'm concerned about using up what I already have before it goes bad.

We found a porta potty at the thrift store. Looks brand new. $15. Made for seniors, bowl removes. Our original outhouse on the farm is barely standing.
You should really get that torn miniscus repaired, Solar Geek. I had mine repaired about 10 yrs ago.
It cannot be fixed. Would take a total knee replacement and I am too young and would outlive it. And I don't need it yet as no pain unless I am terribly stupid.
Dr was the team doctor for the UW Madison Basketball team. He sees a lot of them. Great guy.
So no surgery yet for me.

We have one of those folding medical potty chairs, they gave the wife on after one of her visits to the hospital. We keep it clean and store it in the large bathroom. It's funny how many of the medical thing that they give you could be used in an emergency..

We have one of those folding medical potty chairs, they gave the wife on after one of her visits to the hospital. We keep it clean and store it in the large bathroom. It's funny how many of the medical thing that they give you could be used in an emergency..
Bingo! We have picked up a Hoyer Lift, wheelchair, potty chair, walker, shower chair, and cane to care for Mom. These will all be saved for future use after Mom is done with them. We may pick up a replacement honey bucket for the commode. The Hoyer Lift we picked up second hand. The other stuff we had to get new because by the time we thought about the need we didn't have time to pick up used in our area.

I just never thought to be prepped for an invalid parent.

My seed order just came in today. The seeds were produced in Haines, Alaska so they should be fairly cold resistant. I got a package with 60 envelopes of seeds.
https://foundroot.com
I enjoyed checking out their website! They have some neat items!! Great prices, thanks for posting/sharing!!

Had a disappointing turnout at our meet-up. It was advertised well in advance and we have a consistent place to meet. Had another great presenter, this time holistic tinctures, salves, and liniments with locally sourced ingredients. She is incredibly qualified. We don't take roll call or have a list of who shows up so I'm not sure why people aren't attending, particularly people who are part of our social network pages. Had a good training session at the local shooting simulator today, and might try to have our next meetup there.

Had a disappointing turnout at our meet-up. It was advertised well in advance and we have a consistent place to meet. Had another great presenter, this time holistic tinctures, salves, and liniments with locally sourced ingredients. She is incredibly qualified. We don't take roll call or have a list of who shows up so I'm not sure why people aren't attending, particularly people who are part of our social network pages. Had a good training session at the local shooting simulator today, and might try to have our next meetup there.
Wish there were something like that where I live. Sounds like an great and really useful presentation.

Wish there were something like that where I live. Sounds like an great and really useful presentation.
Last meetup was on comms with a great ham operator presenting. That was our first meet at our new location. Low turnout even though well advertised, but I thought the new location might have thrown some folks. Now I just don't know.

Yesterday we had a range day. The turnout was lower than most range days before COVID. I am seeing about 30% of our old crowd.

I received some new grow lights and some backup solar panels, I was disappointed to see that the solar panel boxes looked like they have been beaten a bit, repackaged, and then walked on (Clear boot prints)... Checked the panels no cracks, but they sure were not treated nicely.

Last meetup was on comms with a great ham operator presenting. That was our first meet at our new location. Low turnout even though well advertised, but I thought the new location might have thrown some folks. Now I just don't know.
What kind of group do you have going?

Start hoarding Mayo, the everyday stuff has doubled, and the high-class stuff has tripled. Because of eggs, I assume. I ordered eight 30 oz. jugs of cheapest mayo today.

I finally remembered to dig this recipe out for Homemade Mayo that doesn't use any eggs. It's from Kathy in FL's story "This Is Me Surviving" but I didn't make a notation of which chapter it was in. I saved it because it looked like something that could come in handy some day but haven't tried it. It might be a good dressing for slaw. If anybody does make this, I'd like to know how it turns out.

Homemade Mayo
You take three tablespoons of evaporated milk, one quarter teaspoon of salt, one quarter teaspoon of paprika, one quarter teaspoon of prepared mustard, and a pinch of white pepper and mix it all together. Then you whisk in a half cup of vegetable oil a little bit at a time. Last you add three to four teaspoons of lemon juice. It made about three quarters cup.

"Surviving" is full of good recipes and I've saved a lot of them but only made a few. Here's a link to it if anybody wants to read it. Just have a notebook and pen next to you because you will want to write some down.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12506240/1/This-Is-Me-Surviving

Latest posts

Back