Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my grain mill turned up. Yay. I was a bit worried for a moment that I may have been ripped off because of the long time it was taking to get to me but nope it was just slow.

I found a wholesale grocery portal that has just opened to the public on-line. These businesses have had to adapt because all the bars, cafes and restaurants they supply have shut. The best thing is that they sell in commercial bulk with no limits. Ask me how much I dislike purchasing limits.
I can't use them this pension because I have to get much needed garden supplies and I have an electricity bill and car registration due this month.
It this too good to be true government handout actually happens then I have another look.

I added some emesis bags to our "sick" tote. I had looked into getting some just after Juju was born. I was given some in the hospital when I gave birth.

Talked to our oldest son today and he is now jumping on the prepper bandwagon. He ordered a load of black dirt delivered for their new garden. He bought a hand grain mill and a hand meat grinder. They also really boosted their food storage. Now he is going to add rainwater catchment to the house.
He has 200 watts of solar on his RV but he is thinking about a system for the house.
That's funny, Hiwall - I talked to my son last night and he, too, is jumping onto the prep train. He is starting with building bug-out bags for him and his wife. I promised to send him a bunch of stuff to get started this weekend, and sent him suggestions of things he can start working on. I guess a global pandemic is good for some things! His interest makes me feel a lot less worried. They live in Oregon, so coming here to AZ as their "safe place" is very reasonable.

So, if you recall, I sent my in-laws a COVID-19 care package about 2 weeks ago. Well today he calls me to let me know his order of additional supplies arrived from China. KN95 masks, nitrile gloves, hand sanitizer, etc. Apparently if you have the money you can just order these items direct and have them shipped to your house. He did not say what they cost, but he did indicate that he now has a nice supply on hand and offered to send me replacements for what I sent him. I told him to check with his local hospital and PD to see how they were sitting, and if they were in need to donate them instead.

As far as updating my preps goes, I received a LONG overdue package from Amazon today contained a 12 pack of razor knives, 2 multi-tools, and 2 small pry bars for the bug out bags I have been working on since last fall. Or as I should call them, the never ending project bags.

I have 5 gallon buckets. With rock dust you can get 50 pounds or 22.68 kilo, but I do not know what a gallon of grain weights.
I just worked out roughly 2 cups per pound of wheat berries.
I just ordered a 50 lb. bag of organic wheat berries. Also, picked up 2 bx. of 1/2 gal canning jars (so 12 jars) so I can vacuum seal the wheat when we get it. We don't do much grain, but tried grinding our own recently and a whole different flavor. Also, discovered organic doesn't bother hubby so he is thrilled to be able to have biscuits and gravy once in a while.

I just worked out roughly 2 cups per pound of wheat berries.
I just ordered a 50 lb. bag of organic wheat berries. Also, picked up 2 bx. of 1/2 gal canning jars (so 12 jars) so I can vacuum seal the wheat when we get it. We don't do much grain, but tried grinding our own recently and a whole different flavor. Also, discovered organic doesn't bother hubby so he is thrilled to be able to have biscuits and gravy once in a while.

LadyL sounds good, bread and butter or toast and jam. Its so good they wrote a song about that too.

Sold some ammo to my son and some of his buddies he shoots with. They weren't going out shooting very often because they were low on ammo, now they are not. I cut them a very fair price, my cost plus they have to join at least two pro-2A groups before the end of summer.

I then used the money to buy some food grade (30#) buckets with lids, pinto beans, mylar bags, and oxygen absorbers. Now I need to make up some vacuum sealed "seasoning packets" to put in with the beans. I really don't want to buy rice, but I might do the same with rice regardless of it's carby nature. Eventually this will all go out to the family farm for long term storage. I have over a year worth of food here at home, but am sitting at only 3-4 months or so at the bug out location (plus abundant local resources and the best case scenario of my bringing some food with me). I want to get that up to at least 6 months.

I've just been picking up extra noodles,rice,cans of veggies and fruits when I can at the store every time I shop. Sometimes they're not there so I have to get them when I can. Also canned meats and salmon if they're available

Just been working on fixing up the house and porches so they hopefully last another 30 years.

I just received my Azure Standard order to help top off the pantry. :woo hoo: Not sure why, but I feel much better having it in my pantry rather than in an online "cart." Will be placing another order next month - as funds allow. Have a feeling inflation is going to get real in the not too distant future.

I've just been picking up extra noodles,rice,cans of veggies and fruits when I can at the store every time I shop. Sometimes they're not there so I have to get them when I can. Also canned meats and salmon if they're available

Just been working on fixing up the house and porches so they hopefully last another 30 years.

Canned salmon and salmon patties,so good.I need to learn to make bread though.Found out biscuits don't go as good with some rhings

Mostly perential vegetables: Welish onions,perential Kale,Good king henry, sea kale, sea beets.
Comfrey, sunchokes, Chinese Artichokes, oca, yacon,Mashua.
I can buy most of this on line, but would rather give my money to Homesteader, so they can make back their perchase cost.

Mostly perential vegetables: Welish onions,perential Kale,Good king henry, sea kale, sea beets.
Comfrey, sunchokes, Chinese Artichokes, oca, yacon,Mashua.
I can buy most of this on line, but would rather give my money to Homesteader, so they can make back their perchase cost.

I've never even heard of that stuff! :D

We have socked up on nuts for sure,didn't realize nuts we ordred were in bulk! Not bad though nuts are full of minerals and vitimins. So we will freeze some and seal some with food saver.
Also have some seeds saved and water in 5 gallon zyler bags daughter sent us.

I finally found out where to get a bulk package of yeast. It was at a high end small market. I walked in. A young man greeted me and asked what I wanted. Then in just a few steps he walked me to the shelf where it was. I thought it might be really high priced, but it was $5.00 for a one pound package of Fleishman's.

A few days ago, someone posted on Craigslist that they had a carboy for free. A carboy is a glass five gallon jug, similar to the five gallon jugs for water coolers. I sent them a message with my phone to text me if it was still available. I didn't hear back so I thought it was gone. Yesterday, I received a text that the people who were ahead of me never showed and I was next on the list. I went and now it is mine! I know it is much heavier than the plastic jugs, but I prefer glass over plastic whenever possible.

When I realized I was driving a ways to get the carboy, I decided to pick some flowers for my daughter and take them to her. Between the carboy and her place are several stores, but a large Asian Market and a Costco were the most interesting to me, and I decided to stop and shop. I got a 25 pound bag of Thai Jasmine rice, beef bones and oxtail bones for bone broth. Costco had toilet tissue, flour, and more. I did a quick run through the store and got 25 pounds of all purpose flour which might last me the rest of my life, or not. I got another package of toilet tissue and a large container of baking powder. I am sure the baking powder will stop working before I use it all up, but I can barter with it or give it to neighbors.

Picked up some used 2017 model Honda EU2000i generators. The husband of one of my dispatchers just retired from being a small jobs contractor/handyman and gave me a price that I could not refuse. Everyone of them started right up and ran smooth and quiet. Now I can take my older Yamahas out to the BOL / family farm.

2020_05_05_1350.jpg

Hey, you scored well, Weedy. I keep a number of those yeast bricks in the fridge. I have a few glass carboys not sure if I want to move, used for beer making. Also have about 50 of those glass, capped jugs for beer I don't know what to do with. Too much to move. You want to come over?
I had two unopened bricks in my freezer, and the remnants of one that was many years older in a jar in the freezer. The two unopened ones were dead. I haven't tested the older stuff yet. I am grateful to have the one pound brick that I do have now.

I shared this in another thread today. I bought 25 pounds each of small red beans, garbanzo beans, and basmati rice at Costco today. Costco has only had pinto beans that I had ever seen before. Good for them for getting more variety now, including Great Northern white beans and black beans. I have new buckets for this addition to my pantry, but am tempted to put them in canning jars.

Talked to our oldest son today and he is now jumping on the prepper bandwagon. He ordered a load of black dirt delivered for their new garden. He bought a hand grain mill and a hand meat grinder. They also really boosted their food storage. Now he is going to add rainwater catchment to the house.
He has 200 watts of solar on his RV but he is thinking about a system for the house.
Hiwall, I'm glad your son is coming around! My son, who has for the last 10 years or so been ultra liberal, had an awakening of sorts with this Covid lockdown. He lives in Western Oregon, and suddenly came to the realization that the world is not the perfect cupcake he thought it was. He called me for information on what he needs to have in a bug out bag, as well as what else he needs to do to "get ready". I mailed him backpacks for him and my DIL, along with some extra stuff I had from my own bags. He called me this morning for Mother's Day, and we spent an hour talking about his preps, and what he needs to do. He and my DIL are going shopping today and plan to pick up a bunch more things to put in their bags. It takes a huge load off of my mind to know that he is finally preparing for whatever might come and that in the event anything looks like the S might HTF, he and my daughter in law will head for here. Prayers answered!

Both of my sons are now starting small stockpiles of items, food, ammo,knives,traps, snares,fishing poles.
They have children to protect.
Next month will buy another meat bundle to help fill my chest freezer funds permitting.
Both sons want to know if it will be cheaper to buy meat by hanging weight or from my mom and pop butcher shop.
Will be buying 2 smaller meat bundles for sons for Christmas instead of the normal date night gift cards.
They are slowly realizing life as they knew is no more. That life will get worse before it gets better.

Folks looking for meat might contact their local butcher shop or extension agent to find out if there are any local area ranchers who would be willing to sell directly to folks rather than packing plant. The way prices are, ranchers are worried & rightfully so. For whatever reason, the gov. is trying to squelch ranchers.
We recently found a grain mill so we can grind our own flour. We don't eat many grains and when we do it's organic (that sounds so snooty, but it's because we have reactions to the chemicals.) Anyhoo, I got a 50 lb bag of wheat berries and vacuum sealed it in 1/2 gal jars. Not sure just how long it will last, but a very long time!
Edited to add: Food for thought - the way gov. is printing $$$, expect major inflation in the upcoming future. I am buying things like underclothes, socks, and such things now as we can afford them before the prices sky-rocket.

In regards to preparations we have been -

- Stocking up on underwear, t-shirts, a cheaper kettle all in case of shortages due to China relations.
- Secured a place we can cut firewood that will give us firewood for many years to come and so far cut 3 cubic metres of ironbark. Take a year to dry as it is green only just been pushed up.
- Stocking up more on food stocks in general.
- Planting more vegetables in the vegetable gardens.
- Building up trading with our neighbour and that is helping to provide vegetables we aren't growing and likewise for him.
- Saving more money in our home and bank emergency funds.
- Paying our mortgage down faster.
- Buying more prepping equipment.

Latest posts

Back