Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to use plutonium paste to clean my house. That stuf kills EVERYTHING and it lasts practically FOREVER.
Another good side is we don't need night lights any more.

I would hate to put that order away, Tank. Good you are stocking up. I bought all the canned kidney beans off the shelf at Krogers today. A whole 9 cans. Aldi has a limit of 4 cans per purchase. They also had hamburger 80/20 for $8 for a 3 lb roll. Bought 4. I've got all the food storage combined and unpacked now, and couldn't believe I didn't have much in the way of canned kidney beans. I have loads of the other kinds. Going to Sams and bringing cousin's daughter and her husband on Friday. We will all be stocking up. I'm looking for more meat for the freezer.

I would hate to put that order away, Tank. Good you are stocking up. I bought all the canned kidney beans off the shelf at Krogers today. A whole 9 cans. Aldi has a limit of 4 cans per purchase. They also had hamburger 80/20 for $8 for a 3 lb roll. Bought 4. I've got all the food storage combined and unpacked now, and couldn't believe I didn't have much in the way of canned kidney beans. I have loads of the other kinds. Going to Sams and bringing cousin's daughter and her husband on Friday. We will all be stocking up. I'm looking for more meat for the freezer.

Thank you. Better to have someone else put together my order and deliver it rather then go in store and have the disapproving Karen's looking over my shopping cart and making disapproving noises.
That sized shopping trip would have me in a lot of pain at the end of it so this is a better way of shopping for me all round.

Have you ever just canned your own from dried kidney beans? For a pint it’s only a half cup of dry beans (I think- would have to double check, have it written down). I know they are usually pretty cheap to just buy already canned though.

Not done beans, but I have the beans and need to do them. I put alot of stuff on hold this last year, knowing that we'd be moving. Aldis has canned beans the cheapest, but I got what was left at Krogers for 79 cents a can. That is not that cheap, really, if you have a pressure canner, beans, jars, and lids already. No excuse. I only moved about 3 flats of home canned food, and I'm pretty sure I lost the seal in some of the tomatoes. Most of the glass jar storage I moved was dehydrated. So far for breakage, I've lost 4 jars, and alot of my chocolate chips melted in the jars. But I'll use them anyway. Ha.

Added more canned foods we eat regularly.
Added more paper products
And more cleaning products

Next up is more first aid products
And more Lava soap ( hubby uses it daily on his scruffy hands lol)

Have you ever just canned your own from dried kidney beans? For a pint it’s only a half cup of dry beans (I think- would have to double check, have it written down). I know they are usually pretty cheap to just buy already canned though.
Explain how you can already dried beans? Can you do rice the same way?
Sorry still tired from having grand daughter.

I can buy dried beans cheaper than can beans, but can beans do not have insect eggs & are very rodent proof.
Yes you can insect & rodent proof bag beans, but can beans are ready to go.
You can get rice in can soup, soup will hold off hunger & can soup is precooked, as is canned(home made jar) soup.
Marlar bags in five gallon buckets are good too, but they can be chewed though in time.
I think that why so many people can in glass jars, it is almost as safe as metal can & reuseable.

Explain how you can already dried beans? Can you do rice the same way?
Sorry still tired from having grand daughter.
I think she is saying cook the beans and then can them.

Some people do dry can rice and other dry products. Sometimes it is called "oven canning". You just put the food item in canning jars and place in a cold oven. Turn on the oven (temps vary depending on who you talk to) to 200* or more. When thoroughly heated completely you shut the oven off to cool. The hot full jars should all seal. The heat kills any bugs in the dry items.
I don't think dry canning or oven canning is ever recommended in canning books.

I'm sure lol

And the "experts" also say not to make sun tea because apparently it doesn't get hot enough. :rolleyes:
People have been doing it for decades and have been just fine.
Sometimes the "experts" have no idea what they're talking about ;)

I'm sure lol

And the "experts" also say not to make sun tea because apparently it doesn't get hot enough. :rolleyes:
People have been doing it for decades and have been just fine.
Sometimes the "experts" have no idea what they're talking about ;)
And this is why I ask questions whether I'm tired or not.
Especially if it's something that's not clicking quite right yet.
I'm not an expert.

I think she is saying cook the beans and then can them.

Some people do dry can rice and other dry products. Sometimes it is called "oven canning". You just put the food item in canning jars and place in a cold oven. Turn on the oven (temps vary depending on who you talk to) to 200* or more. When thoroughly heated completely you shut the oven off to cool. The hot full jars should all seal. The heat kills any bugs in the dry items.
Thank you for the information.
If I can beans I cook up big batch in pressure cooker/canner.
Then place in jars, water bath them.
When they finish pings, label and date, rotate in storage cabinet.

I would only pressure can beans, just like meat. Not water bath them. You can do 1/3 c dry beans, rest of the jar minus headspace with water and some salt, and maybe taco season or garlic. Then pressure can. They will cook.
Or dry can: Like Hiwall said, or in a mason jar and use the foodsaver jar sealer attachment.

I would only pressure can beans, just like meat. Not water bath them. You can do 1/3 c dry beans, rest of the jar minus headspace with water and some salt, and maybe taco season or garlic. Then pressure can. They will cook.
Or dry can: Like Hiwall said, or in a mason jar and use the foodsaver jar sealer attachment.
Thank you for the information.
Will have to see if my food saver has jar sealer attachment, recipe book.
Not really comfortable with using pressure canner.
Had one explode on me, they make me uneasy since then.

We've been canning dry beans for years under 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes. The taste is so much better than store cans. My grandson likes Pintos and son likes the limas. Both say best beans they ever had snd all we add is kosha or canning salt. Never had a bad jar.

We've been canning dry beans for years under 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes. The taste is so much better than store cans. My grandson likes Pintos and son likes the limas. Both say best beans they ever had and all we add is kosher or canning salt. Never had a bad jar.
I have had a few people tell me that home cooked and canned beans are much better tasting than store canned.
Canning salt is something I have not been able to find this year. I have many kinds of salt, and I do have some canning salt, but want more for preps.

I have had a few people tell me that home cooked and canned beans are much better tasting than store canned.
Canning salt is something I have not been able to find this year. I have many kinds of salt, and I do have some canning salt, but want more for preps.

We use kosha salt too not sure if you can find any but it works great too..

We've been canning dry beans for years under 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes. The taste is so much better than store cans. My grandson likes Pintos and son likes the limas. Both say best beans they ever had snd all we add is kosha or canning salt. Never had a bad jar.
I'm wanting to be sure I got this right, place clean dry beans in the canning jars, put on the lids and rings, then just can them in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes? It sounds like a great way to long term store dry beans... Do you do Quarts or Pints??

Does it stop the beans from becoming tough over time like the dry ones do?

I could easily see doing a bunch of these on a canning weekend..
Can a mix of cooked beans (pinto, red kidney, or both)in pints for short term needs and Dry Can a couple runs of quarts for long term storage...

In our house wife cooks the mix, I run the canner..... ;)

I'm wanting to be sure I got this right, place clean dry beans in the canning jars, put on the lids and rings, then just can them in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes? It sounds like a great way to long term store dry beans... Do you do Quarts or Pints??

Can a mix of cooked beans (pinto, red kidney, or both)in pints for short term needs and Dry Can a couple runs of quarts for long term storage...

No people have different ways they prefe to can them.

We first soak the beans in fridge for 24 hours.
Fill beans to about 2/3s add ` tspn salt qt.s 1/2 tspn for pints fill with hot water leaving head space.
We boil a huge pot of water since we do about 14 to 20 lb.s at a time.

Add water to the beans. I use 1/2 cup of beans for pints with a 1 inch head space and pressure can 75 minutes at 15psi. Your psi depends on your elevation. Hubby likes them with a bit of spicy sausage or garlic/chilies mixed in.

No people have different ways they prefe to can them.

We first soak the beans in fridge for 24 hours.
Fill beans to about 2/3s add ` tspn salt qt.s 1/2 tspn for pints fill with hot water leaving head space.
We boil a huge pot of water since we do about 14 to 20 lb.s at a time.
When I can beans I cook them in pressure cooker/canner.
Then put cooked beans, seasonings,juice from cooked beans in sterlized jars,rings lids.
But I prefer to use water bath to seal instead of pressure cooker.
Just my preference.
Love to home can 15 bean soup this way.
Also have done Lima beans with bits of hickory smoked ham,Split pea soup with bits of hickory smoked ham.
The water bath way to can is just what I'm most comfortable with.

pintos and limas we canned.These are just taken out of canner and still boiling so haven't settled yet.
We use tail gate cooker burner and can on the porch.

1597792977842.png

Your beans MUST be rehydrated before canning. Soak overnight and cook 30 minutes at least before pressure canning. If they are not rehydrated, they rehydrate in the jars and the time is off. The 75 min for pints and 90 min for quarts is for REHYDRATED beans.

Latest posts

Back