Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may have been and I missed it. Been a long day and I'm not on top of things at the moment.

That link IS the one I was referencing. I have it saved on my Pinterest.

Tonight, I sorted and dated the last grocery orders of 2020, need to put it into inventory and then everything into the "store". I would never show anyone who is not family my "store" but I think the sorting and inventory input area is okay. I need to get this stuff put away soon because the wife has a new shopping list ready. ;)

1610163012824.jpeg

Put a backup camera on my truck. I set it up so I can see the top of the ball and down the road. This will aid backing, hooking up a trailer, and rear vision while going down the road. I set it up so that I have full control of the camera rather than having it tied to the backup light.

Today the son paid us a visit, apparently before he came home his mom gave him "Big Box Store" a shopping list and he arrived with a car load of groceries, now I am back were I started 2 weeks ago with needing to date and enter new items..... I guess that is not a bad problem to have, but I may run out of shelf space.

Y'all gonna love this.
All year, I've been saying things could get serious. Grabbed an extra can of coffee, etc. 😂 Neither Hubby nor I slept much last night as the wind was howling and beating the house - okay, some stress might be involved. He evidently looked at a few different sites online. This morning, he says "Things could really get ugly. What do we need? or What can we do?" :rolleyes: I can't exactly tell you since I was only about 2 sips into my first cup of coffee. He's so cute. I told him that's why I got extra coffee and peanut butter. He asked if we had more pickles - heehee. Yea, he pretty much does his Christmas shopping the 24th too :)

Just bought a few extra groceries yesterday had them dlivered. Bought 6 half gallons of ice cream to put in freezer and a case of beer, still no paper towels,but thats ok don't use them much anyway.Should have ordered more coffee to store. Started some seeds inside to see if they will sprout.
Some days hubbycan hardly walk so ordred 4 ties fro golf cart.
Wanted to order more spare parts for auros. Maybe see what happens this week first.

At least he's on board! Woo hoo! That's a big deal. ;)
He's always been supportive of my purchases: A) I don't spend a lot of $$$, and B) He likes to eat :)
Just ordered more tattler lids. I was thinking of doing so anyways so I don't have to worry about having lids. Figured might as well now while I still can.

I'm taking a good look at my supply of beverages. Several years ago my son gave me a Keurig for Christmas and I love it. I stored the coffeemaker I'd been using and forgot about it until a couple of days ago when I realized my Keurig could fritz out one day and I'd be left with no coffee. Besides, I see the pods I buy are out of stock right now. I have an unopened box of 96 pods so I'm okay for a few weeks but that's another risk. On my list for next week I now have a 3 lb. can of ground coffee and some coffee filters in case of emergency. Whew! That was a close call! I have a couple of 100 count boxes of tea bags but will pick up a couple more because I do make a lot of iced tea in summer. Besides, if I did somehow run out of coffee I can drink hot tea. I'll get some Koolaid, too, but I get a little stingy with it because of the sugar.

Some food items are cheaper through Walmart.com than the local store like big containers of Coffeemate and Bear Creek soup mixes. Since I had to place an order with them anyway, I've added several bags of the soup mix. I really like it but rarely buy it.

We've rotated and refilled gas containers
Added more propane
Have gotten completely out of debt ( even CC debt)
Been adding canned vegs,fruits,pastas and meats
Been selling things we don't want or need anymore
Added more shiny metal
Ordered and received seeds for this years garden. Also picked some up at the local walmart this morning to fill in gaps. Plan on hitting the dollar tree at the end of the month to see if they got theirs yet
Had eye exam and am waiting on new glasses
Just ordered more refills on both our scripts. Hopefully should be done this week sometime

I’m just reading up on how to do this. Have several chicken and 1 turkey carcasses in the freezer to make stock.
That's what I do. When the bags of bones/skin/etc get full in the freezer, it's time to can. I've started keeping a canning journal just because each batch I make is a little different - some have salt (some don't), some have astragalus, etc. What goes in the pot with the chicken carcasses depends on what I have and what mood I'm in - but I figure it's a good idea to know what each batch has just in case I want to give something specific to someone (such as a no-salt batch for someone on a special diet).

Canning stock is easy-peasey. You'll develop your own system and rhythm in no time. ;)

That's what I do. When the bags of bones/skin/etc get full in the freezer, it's time to can. I've started keeping a canning journal just because each batch I make is a little different - some have salt (some don't), some have astragalus, etc. What goes in the pot with the chicken carcasses depends on what I have and what mood I'm in - but I figure it's a good idea to know what each batch has just in case I want to give something specific to someone (such as a no-salt batch for someone on a special diet).

Canning stock is easy-peasey. You'll develop your own system and rhythm in no time. ;)
Easy Peasey is what I’m going for to get it figured out. Lol
A canning journal is genius!!! I was thinking I should write things down but a journal is an all in one place. I love that! Thank you!
I’m really hoping I can make the stock in my pressure cooker then can it to save time.

Panning for gold is a great way to relax. Just you and a bubbling stream with nature all around you.
This is very true, I've had deer walking in the stream, come within 10 feet of me, seen wood ducks swimming around, they are beautiful and late in the season, salmon coming upstream, those are not so good looking after all the miles they've traveled in the river to get to the stream where I was, occasionally I would also see Osprey going for fish and once in a great while a beaver or otter.

I ordered another bag of dog food to be delivered just as a precaution, since I have to order that food online. I stocked the frig today for what may or may not happen within the next couple of days. I paid property taxes this week and also have most of my other stuff ready to go to the preparer. The sooner I can get 2020 truly in my rearview mirror, the better!

We finished up leftovers tonight so they don't go to waste and also to fill the dishwasher with those containers so I can run a full load tonight. Also got the laundry mostly caught up with another load or two for tomorrow. I want all the cleaning and water hogging chores done!

Some food items are cheaper through Walmart.com than the local store like big containers of Coffeemate and Bear Creek soup mixes. Since I had to place an order with them anyway, I've added several bags of the soup mix. I really like it but rarely buy it.
Have you tried the Wylers soup mixes? I like their chicken noodle so much better than the Bear Creek, but I also dress up my soup with more veges, spices, and noodles. I got a 12 pk of it on Amazon for a price better than what I can find in my local store, so it may be worth looking in to, even with Bear Creek. Wylers is more difficult to find in stores though.
Ok. Hadn’t thought about coffee being an issue. Just ordered a small coffee maker, coffee to put away and more of what we use daily. At least if our maker goes out we will have a backup now.
I bought 3 coffee makers for $20 when I found them on clearance last year. They have the big pot with the timer on it that we like and are used to. I thought for that price, I'll just keep them stored until we need them. We also have a percolator we could use on a fire if we needed to. I can NOT imagine going without my precious coffee in the morning!:coffee: We've also got cases of coffee in the basement. We're actually drinking coffee from 2017 right now, but it's still good. I think our next case is actually not expired.😬

... Have you tried the Wylers soup mixes? I like their chicken noodle so much better than the Bear Creek, but I also dress up my soup with more veges, spices, and noodles. ... We also have a percolator we could use on a fire if we needed
to. ...

I've only used the boullion cubes. I'm not sure I've ever seen the Wyler soup mixes but I'll keep an eye out. I add things to the Bear Creek, too. I've heard good things about Knorr but they seem to be smaller packets and mostly tomato from what I've seen. I should probably pick up a few and give them a try.

I haven't had percolated coffee in a long time but IMO it really is better tasting. I do have a small percolator pot somewhere in my storage shed. I need to find it and have it ready in case I need it.

Do you know which one you are getting?

Are you getting two doses/injections?

As the first dependable and objective person I know to get it, I will be very interested in how it makes you feel.

Its going to be the Moderna, two doses, one tomorrow, the next one I believe in 21 days.

I will keep you guys posted. If I stop posting, you will know I made a mistake.

I'm skeptical as well, but I have decided on the balance, its worth the risk since doing nothing entails some risk as well.

I've only used the boullion cubes. I'm not sure I've ever seen the Wyler soup mixes but I'll keep an eye out. I add things to the Bear Creek, too. I've heard good things about Knorr but they seem to be smaller packets and mostly tomato from what I've seen. I should probably pick up a few and give them a try.

I haven't had percolated coffee in a long time but IMO it really is better tasting. I do have a small percolator pot somewhere in my storage shed. I need to find it and have it ready in case I need it.
The bullion cubes are not as easy to control the amount of salt as the granules are. I've used a few Knorr products and have always been pleased.

Latest posts

Back