Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You already have a pattern. Take an old pair apart.
Yea, kinda depend upon woven or knits but I didn't want to get too personal 😁 There is so much spandex in clothes any more, that can be difficult, but you're right. Using old aprons is how I finally made an apron pattern that fits me.

Had a really good conversation with my husband today, regarding the future meat situation. He sees firsthand how his customers (restaurant owners) are having a tough time getting supply for their menus. And he starts to hear stuff about Gates and the push to get us off of meat, control farming to such a degree that we won't be able to afford meat.

So we discussed building relationships with local suppliers. We already purchase beef direct from two different farms, and we could branch that out with pork. But we don't have a supplier for chicken. We've raised our own chickens for years, but not really in terms of meat (other than sending hatched out boys to freezer camp once they reach a certain size). So we discussed the specifics of getting involved with meat birds, and being able to butcher them ourselves. Not try to take too much on all at once - just figure out what is the best way to take on a little more each year. And we discussed moving beyond birds, and how.

I just think it's important to value certain conversations, especially getting family members on the same page, as preparedness, too. This one was a big hurdle for me - done!

I had a friend that was one of those, don't kill animals there is plenty of meat in the store types. 🤯.

Every animal spends their life trying to eat and trying to keep from being eaten. Even when people go into the woods they keep an eye out for predators. For that matter we keep an eye out for predators in big cities. Farm animals have a pretty good life. As long as they live they are feed, watered, protected, and housed. When their life is over they are given a clean kill. goshengirl, that is your job, to give them a good life and a clean death.

In the wild and on the homestead the only one that dies of old age is the homesteader and even he can have an accident.
Treat animals, plants and minerals with respect as they work to keep you healthy just as you work to keep them healthy.

Yep, Goshengirl, we butcher our own. Chickens and turkeys. Have taught the grandkids, too. Good for passing on to the next generation, and also makes the work go faster. Now they notice that a grocery store whole chicken looks bigger than a farm raised chicken. (because it's not injected with gunk to plump it up). They can tell a butchered meat chicken from a butchered Heritage Breed chicken, just by the looks of it. I learned how to butcher goat and pig from an in person butchering (ladies) class. I learned how to butcher fowl on youtube. If you're worried about the psychological, omg, it's got a name thing....have alot of chickens without names, butcher some mean roosters first, cut them and wrap the same as your store bought chicken, and you won't know the difference at first with what you're eating or cooking. Get your brain over it. Some people believe that home raised taste "gamey". I don't think so. Our animals are clean and raised in a very healthy manner, unlike the store bought fowl.

Just thought of something else and will put it here rather than in sewing as I think it will be of more use here. But as I am taking a new pkg. of undergarments out of the stores for each Hubby and myself thinking, "I'll have to see if they even have anymore in the store to replace what I am using." It occurred to me that most folks probably don't even have an idea of how to go about making such a thing. Yes, we could all go commando, but I'm just guessing that's not the preference. A simple pattern either printed from the internet or purchased from your local sewing supply might be a good thing to have on hand. Just thought I'd mention it.
I've long thought this. I did know people growing up who sewed almost everything, and they made their own underwear. While we could stockpile some fabric, t-shirts would also work. We'd just need patterns and elastic.

Stocked up on OTC meds, spaghetti sauce and some spices. Drying rosemary now and dried cilantro and bell peppers last week. Got a couple new spice racks for the pantry to free up space in the cabinet for my new xxl wok and pot Santa brought.
Spice racks! I have made a few, but need more. I have searched to buy some. I found one metal one, used, with two shelves, but would love more or one with many shelves.

Have taught the grandkids, too. Good for passing on to the next generation, and also makes the work go faster. Now they notice that a grocery store whole chicken looks bigger than a farm raised chicken. (because it's not injected with gunk to plump it up). They can tell a butchered meat chicken from a butchered Heritage Breed chicken, just by the looks of it
I wonder if anyone can tell by the taste? Of course, you would have to have one to know. I grew up eating freshly butchered chickens, and for many years could not stand the taste of store bought poultry after the initial cooking and eating. Leftover poultry is just nasty to me.

I had a friend that was one of those, don't kill animals there is plenty of meat in the store types. 🤯.
Every animal spends their life trying to eat and trying to keep from being eaten. Even when people go into the woods they keep an eye out for predators. For that matter we keep an eye out for predators in big cities. Farm animals have a pretty good life. As long as they live they are feed, watered, protected, and housed. When their life is over they are given a clean kill. goshengirl, that is your job, to give them a good life and a clean death.
In the wild and on the homestead the only one that dies of old age is the homesteader and even he can have an accident.
Treat animals, plants and minerals with respect as they work to keep you healthy just as you work to keep them healthy.
Oh I agree with both of you completely. I believe that eating what we raise is a far better way to go for a myriad of reasons, one of which is that the animals are given good lives on the homestead. It's like with hunting - those animals have lived good lives in the wild compared to the animals raised in corporate meat production facilities. In many ways I'm already there mentally, and I'm a pretty straightforward person - so maybe it's just a matter of doing it once and moving past the unknown. But I like what you said, Caribou - my job is to give them a good life and a clean death. I knew that already, but somehow hearing it from someone else really helps, too.

Yep, Goshengirl, we butcher our own. Chickens and turkeys. Have taught the grandkids, too. Good for passing on to the next generation, and also makes the work go faster. Now they notice that a grocery store whole chicken looks bigger than a farm raised chicken. (because it's not injected with gunk to plump it up). They can tell a butchered meat chicken from a butchered Heritage Breed chicken, just by the looks of it. I learned how to butcher goat and pig from an in person butchering (ladies) class. I learned how to butcher fowl on youtube. If you're worried about the psychological, omg, it's got a name thing....have alot of chickens without names, butcher some mean roosters first, cut them and wrap the same as your store bought chicken, and you won't know the difference at first with what you're eating or cooking. Get your brain over it. Some people believe that home raised taste "gamey". I don't think so. Our animals are clean and raised in a very healthy manner, unlike the store bought fowl.
Oh, I never give our chickens names. I jokingly call them "Dinner One," " Dinner Two" and so on. But they are definitely not raised as pets. And we can totally tell "our boys" in the freezer compared to store-bought chicken. Much better color, and more taste. (DH has taken our culled boys to a place that does a pretty impressive "drive thru" butchering operation, but it's not cost effective.) You are right - I need to get my brain over it.

I need is to see if there are any in-person butchering classes/demonstrations that I could learn from. I think a huge part of my hesitation is that I don't have confidence in doing it right. I don't have any problem with the concept of eating what we raise for that purpose - but I hate the thought of wasting a life because I didn't do it right. Although you learned on YouTube, Amish.... maybe I just need to find the right videos! lol

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I appreciate it.

I've made farm cheese with lemon juice - I prefer it to vinegar. I've never heard that about thistle. I'll have to look into it. If you have info. would love to learn (maybe in the recipe section.)

You can use stinging nettles too but I haven't tried it. They don't grow near me.

I vacuum sealed 10lbs of chuck and some Tbone steaks this week. Also placed a big internet order. Needed new sheets, some linens were 25% off. Got one prep item that got lost from the list years ago. Guitar strings, music counts! Got six sets of strings. Also got a few cds... Some personal stuff.

I only got items in stock and shipping from one location. Before christmas I thought shipping would be messed up so I waited till now.

I went ahead and ordered 4 of the USPS COVID-19 tests, no one is sick but I think they would be a good addition to the medicine closet and the price was right...

I have ordered some more growing trays for my indoor garden, I have shelf space and lights for up to 30 and I only had 10 trays and lids. I am using the tall lids to allow the plants to be on autopilot for most of their growing days.

I made a precious metal investment, about 20#s of lead, copper, and brass.....

I forgot to mention... gamma seal lids for buckets. I've needed more for quite some time. I ordered 6, 2 are for water.

I have a garden cart, I use it often. Right now I have a calf in the corral. I have to carry water for him. I needed a couple lids so I can fill a 5g buckets and haul it there in the cart and not spill most of the water.

Also for wshtf. I have 3 springs down in the bottoms that form a small creek. It's my "go to" for a long term water source. Carrying a couple of 5g buckets of water 400yds to the house will wear any one out.

With gamma seal lids I can fill buckets then haul them on any type of cart, without spilling the water. These lids greatly increase the amount of water 1 person can move in a day, handy.

I forgot to mention... gamma seal lids for buckets. I've needed more for quite some time. I ordered 6, 2 are for water.

I have a garden cart, I use it often. Right now I have a calf in the corral. I have to carry water for him. I needed a couple lids so I can fill a 5g buckets and haul it there in the cart and not spill most of the water.

Also for wshtf. I have 3 springs down in the bottoms that form a small creek. It's my "go to" for a long term water source. Carrying a couple of 5g buckets of water 400yds to the house will wear any one out.

With gamma seal lids I can fill buckets then haul them on any type of cart, without spilling the water. These lids greatly increase the amount of water 1 person can move in a day, handy.
How much fall from the springs?

I had about a 10-12' drop and was to pump up a 50' elevation with a hydraulic ram pump.

Ben

I was able to get a case each of canned corn, garbanzo beans, and carrots. I really don't have any room in any freezers, but wanted some frozen veg to throw into the dehydrator. Instead I bought a number of large bags of carrots, and I'll throw those in. They did have peanut butter this time. And the two lb box of spaghetti noodles.

I was able to order a couple cases of long term storage foods, they say they have a long term shelf life of thirty years, so I should expire before they do. :)

My projectiles arrived today and I got word that my seed starter trays should arrive tomorrow.

I have a signature required shipment arriving Saturday so I will have to stay close to the barn....

Latest posts

Back