Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a lot (Lot to me that is) of money in a health care account that I was about to lose.... So I went to an all night drug store and bought first aid stuff, over the counter meds (allergy, pain, sleeping), alcohol and Hydrogen-peroxide, ointments and a new blood pressure monitor. I think the total came in just over $500.... So now I will not lose any money and I have a years supply of most first aid stuff I can think of... is that prepping....?

This morning I am stocking up on personal hygiene supplies

I received my extra solar panels so now I need to build frames and set them up, I have a west facing awning that I built over a walkout that could hold them, but it is attached to the house and I would prefer not to go there... This will give me about 1000 watts of standby solar for use in emergencies, right now I have 500 watts installed and it is powering my outdoor Christmas lights.....

Our short term food storage is now sitting at about an 18 month supply, I do need to replace some peanut butter, but other than that we feel prepared for what ever 2022 has to offer.... knock on wood...

I have to admit that I feel truly blessed this year, I got an early bonus that covered the cost of my additional solar and an inverter charger, with a little to spare. I have had the opportunity to get most of my preps in before the rumors of expanded shortages started and I still have my health.

I took my chain saw and dropped timber , cut up the trees suitable for firewood and drug off , piled up and burned the rest . I am expanding my garden and opening up a site on the edge of a mountain cliff to let in more sunlight . There I plan to box in rows of raised beds for more garden produce , in preparations for living under the Biden Communist Regime . Actually this project will take weeks to finish .

I took my chain saw and dropped timber , cut up the trees suitable for firewood and drug off , piled up and burned the rest . I am expanding my garden and opening up a site on the edge of a mountain cliff to let in more sunlight . There I plan to box in rows of raised beds for more garden produce , in preparations for living under the Biden Communist Regime . Actually this project will take weeks to finish .
[/QUO
You got photos to show us.

Have beef in the freezer as of Monday. And went to pick up our pig yesterday. Worked out w/ cutting and wrapping etc. to $3.82 per pound. I'm cool with that. Will have to do the calc. on the beef (had the mix up so wasn't able to figure it out.) But the beef was $3/lb + c/w.

foam insoles

ok--maybe i sound silly but ive found over the years that having good shoes nad insoles make a huge difference. you can buy GREAT boots and wear them fior a spell but then something doesnt feel right. or they felt awesome in the store but after a day or 3 its not the great fit you were looking for.

INSOLES to the rescue!

i tend to wear the same crocs sandals spring, summer, fall- and come witner wear real shoes and more dutiful slippers. i need insoles for a better fit. ive tried aobut every insole on the market. for any pain relief, the magnetic ones were fantastic. i used to have a jobw here i was on my fgeet most of my shift azndf the magnetic insoles made all the difference in the world.

but for some kind of foam comfort---this sweeties are the for mens work boots but easy to trim for ladies. they are AWESOME. ive put them in my boots, m,y sneakers, slippers and they really do a very good job.

when t he world comes to an end and you are fighting zombies and aliens, you dont need to be distracted by sore feet.

so think aobut down the road, boots, shoes, insoles, comfort..

these are the ones for me turned out to be the best.

insoles

foam insoles

ok--maybe i sound silly but ive found over the years that having good shoes nad insoles make a huge difference. you can buy GREAT boots and wear them fior a spell but then something doesnt feel right. or they felt awesome in the store but after a day or 3 its not the great fit you were looking for.

INSOLES to the rescue!

i tend to wear the same crocs sandals spring, summer, fall- and come witner wear real shoes and more dutiful slippers. i need insoles for a better fit. ive tried aobut every insole on the market. for any pain relief, the magnetic ones were fantastic. i used to have a jobw here i was on my fgeet most of my shift azndf the magnetic insoles made all the difference in the world.

but for some kind of foam comfort---this sweeties are the for mens work boots but easy to trim for ladies. they are AWESOME. ive put them in my boots, m,y sneakers, slippers and they really do a very good job.

when t he world comes to an end and you are fighting zombies and aliens, you dont need to be distracted by sore feet.

insoles
We like these also - think I still have a couple extra pair in there. Good to have.

foam insoles

INSOLES to the rescue!

insoles
DW bought $150.00 insoles, they have lasted five years & best of all they work, unlike the cheap ones in the store.
If they make her happy, I would pay $300.00 for them, but she paid for them herself, so I had no say in purchase.

I went to a shoe store that made corrective shoes and he made me a set of inserts for my boots $300 25 years ago.
Still wear them every day.
The boots made today are crap and have no arches. My feet killed me after climbing ladders and carrying heavy weights all day . after getting the inserts my feet were golden.
I would have paid a $1000

Not so much preparing myself, but others. Gave 3 grandsons multi-tools for Christmas. Another got binoculars with night vision. Another got a good pocket knife. 6 yo grand daughter got walkie talkies and she loved them. My grandson's wife got a 16 qt Presto pressure canner, wb canner, 6 dozen pint jars with replacement lids, Ball Blue book and a canning kit with the funnel, jar lifter, etc. She was very happy.

Not so much preparing myself, but others. Gave 3 grandsons multi-tools for Christmas. Another got binoculars with night vision. Another got a good pocket knife. 6 yo grand daughter got walkie talkies and she loved them. My grandson's wife got a 16 qt Presto pressure canner, wb canner, 6 dozen pint jars with replacement lids, Ball Blue book and a canning kit with the funnel, jar lifter, etc. She was very happy.

Your family scored big time. Big props to you for setting them up.

Can you tell I like my grand daughter in law? I am so proud of her. The others were not here at the same time as that family because they had to come a couple of days early. She has said many times she is interested in starting to can so I just gave her a start and she was just gushing over it.

I have a couple of younger friends I try to help get a clue. The 30ish I gave a cast iron skillet and the 50ish I gave a camp lantern. They both seemed to be pleased.

old fashioned hot water bottles------

i use an electric heat pad for many reasons but having an old fashioned hot water bottle or a couple on hand could be a smart thing. a couple years back when the elecytric went out for a few days in the winter it really helped.

old fashioned hot water bottles------

i use an electric heat pad for many reasons but having an old fashioned hot water bottle or a couple on hand could be a smart thing. a couple years back when the elecytric went out for a few days in the winter it really helped.

I do.
I brought three because I'm a sookie lala when it comes to being cold.

We have stocked up the pantry from 1 to 3 -4 years on most things now the prices are rising faster than I can do a shopping list.

Managed to get a builder in to fix the things that we couldn't here and saved $4500 by shopping around being our tank stand shed reinforced that was sinking, 2 asbestos ceiling panels replaced, cupboard door rollers replaced and gutter leaks fixed. Still need to paint the ceiling panels that were replaced and also work on painting the window sills of the home that is clad and our wooden sheds.

Had a brief (4+hour) power outage here last evening. First outage for a couple years. Gave us a chance to see how prepared we were. It was a nothing burger. It barely disrupted our normal evening because part of our house is always running on solar anyway.

A local mom and pop store is closing after 2 generations everything 25% off. They are over the supply shortages and our Governer. They were an outdoor supply store that had a little of everything including boots, firearms excessories, fishing, clothing etc. We dropped some cash there. We got some stuff we needed and some barter items. I think we are a little light in that area. Most of what we have is geared toward taking care of us.

Latest posts

Back