PREPPING for being "OLD", 80's and 90's and 100's.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the thought of that makes me sad... As I have gotten more mature I have noticed that I don't heal as fast and I injure easier.. Watching the wife struggle I have come to realize that it is the little things in life keeping us alive that end up tying us to the chair, and then to the bed. We may live longer today but it does not mean the we live better....

It's like driving towards a brick wall at 100 miles an hour on cruse control, when you are 50 miles a way you can even see it, when you are a couple blocks away you can make out there may be a problem, and when you are 100 feet away you realize that you are in big trouble..... Kind of like the end scene of "Vanishing Point"

My favorite movie of all time, With My 67 A S/SA R/T it was a daily thing to be well over 100 on 2 lane blacktop.

AS for getting OLD I was digging down a place on gravel pad for cap blocks to level an RV with a screwdriver and EVEN with a long sleeve shirt my arm looks like a black and blue tat with a bandaid where a small sharp one peeled a spot.

I had a good friend who bought the first 440 6 pack CUDA That was delivered in this area It was a drag pack car with 4:10 Dana, pistol grip 4 spd, and Vitamin C ORANGE.

2 days later he came to the Station with it hot from running it topped out for about 6 miles and started pouring cold beer into it.

Oh yeah THAT was the CRAZY friend!!!! well one of them I guess we all were crazy 100+ on a public 2 lane highway is not sane, My car was built for top end it shifted into high at 125.

Food, water, shelter.
We are about as prepared as two old people can be, IMHO. (I am 70yo). We both have more outdoor clothing than we'll ever wear out. We have at least 5 years of oak firewood stored under cover. Our house and property is paid for. House is well insulated (6" walls) and is easily heated with firewood.

When the electricity goes out forever, we will still have access to fresh water via our all-season hand pump well.

We have a well-stocked pantry and hundreds of canning jars, Tattler lids, and three canners. Wildlife abounds in our area. Ten fishing lakes within an easy hike from home. We know what edibles grow in the forests and we garden.

If the house is too much to handle during a SHTF, we always have the next door off-grid one-room cabin to fall back on.

Did I mention we have an outhouse.....

I know people living on SS getting less than 700 dolars a month.

I always thought it would be more than at least a minimum wage job would be but it is criminal to give twice the amount in welfare and ss to criminal invaders than people who worked and paid in all of their lives get.

That said, I have been heartily blessed and without government intervention will never want for anything till the day I am interred or thrown to the wind as they choose.

I have many friends who are struggling and I hate to see it, most do not want any type of assistance.
Independence is a trait to be admired.

To me money is just paper, and the true wealth of the Earth are the people you love and respect for their honor, their valor, their strengths, and their character along with those you love for the reasons they need you.

I have passed on many tasks I should have done, and I have undertaken some I should not have, but To let anyone be destitute when you may be able to help them is hard.

Unfortunately these days so many young people are not interested in continuing their parents lives or following them in life. You see good farms, homes and businesses fall into states of disrepair up and down the roads of this country in every town in every county and every state in the country.

If the children do not want to continue these lives why not give them away or sell them for a price that they can easily get from a person who is in need of them.

There is a farmer in Colbert County Al that grows corn every year and has a large field he allows anyone passing it to pick a bushel for their own use, it is on the side of The Natchez Trace close to North Pike street.

I have tried to get my Brother in law and sister in law to narrate a video set on farming and canning etc. They are some of the BEST I have ever known and their kids and grands came up in it but are just workers they have the ability but not the knowledge to do it.

The Heritage and Legacy seeds we have and they have are from many generations back into the 1800s for some of them.

You must know how to store and wake them to get the most out of them.

People who do these things MUST be willing to pass them on in actual complete step by step from choosing the ground to plant, the soil prep to the opening of the can and cooking the meal,
If they cant do that most of the people will not be able to survive any longer than it takes to run out of stuff they can steal.

Keep up the crops and grow the seed stock you have, they are the most important tasks we have we must protect and maintain them for the continuation of each line.

One thing this event sourdough has went through along with one grizzgal done...funds in form of cash,check,debit card whatever, fixes things in old age at least for a portion or to a point.It can get you out of a current unlivable situation till circling the horses or getting ready to go back and do battle again.In grizzgals case she was flat out stuck in her situation.

Last 3 years...since c-19 struck...money in any form couldnt help you as the shut down back logged everything and everyone.Still long waiting lists for things here..just one item..butchering services.

Mt.St.Helens blew...cash and funds would get you out of area and in the clear as another example.

"CHANGE" sucks, when you get old. Most changes are adapt or delete that "part" of your life.

I have had to change method of shooting firearms, and types of firearms. Losing sight in my dominant (right) eye. I am slowly deleting long guns from my reality. Adding more handguns, for hunting & other applications.

I think it comes a point in life when all is left is being a mentor.
I already did my share of that.
Trained all of the incoming new techs, and even became a "Certified Instructor" that put on 3-day training classes with 20-30 techs in each one.
They were 'Certified Techs' when they graduated. :D
Some 'students' still remember me to this day. Being trained by somebody that has actually 'worked in the trenches' is much better than from some 'factory-guy'. :)

Where we live it's tough at any age. I've got miles of fencing to keep maintained, barns and numerous out buildings to keep in good repair. Probably the single most difficult issue that I'm faced with is keeping 3 miles of road plowed in winter. Next is keep the water tanks cleared of ice for the horses and cattle and hauling hay out twice a day. It's very common to get numerous 3 foot snowfalls anytime between October and April. Then there's the loading of up to 100 ton of hay every summer and stacking it in the barn by myself. We're 100% off grid, which adds its own unique challenge.
The nearest hospital is about a 3 hour drive in winter, if the road is open. Sometimes we're snowed in for weeks at a time. We live 20 miles from a town of 500. Many times it takes an hour one way. I've got a lot of equipment that needs regular maintenance to keep up on too.
I'm 66 years old right now and am in pretty good health. But I know that the day is coming that I won't be able to keep up. Our kids live 400 miles away and don't have any interest in this ranch, so we'll probably end up selling it in 10 years or so.
We're living very well on SS, pensions and investments. We saw the value at an early age to save and invest our money for retirement. I retired at 57, the wife even younger, and started SS at 64. Everything is paid for and we have zero debts. Right now life is good.

Good advice. We live in a tri-level. I can't imagine a worse place to get old in. We could buy another place easily, but haven't considered a move like that seriously yet. But we should.

I had too much fun repairing my broken steps down to the family room a few months ago (yeah, right!) to give up on this tri-level just yet. But sooner rather than later it would probably be good to move to a ranch floorplan somewhere.
I put in an elevator. Designed and built it myself with heavy on the safety features. Runs on 12 volts so power outage no problem. Use a large fall preventer so if any part of the mechanism fails, it grabs control and stops a fall. Also good for moving furniture etc. upstairs.

I know people living on SS getting less than 700 dollars a month.
I do, too! If I was to divide the property taxes and insurance on my home month by month, that wouldn't even cover it, let alone the rest of living expenses.

The reality is that at some point in time, we are either dead or need lots of help and support. I have wanted to buy land and develop it, but, the day is coming where I will not be able to do what it takes to live like that.

My uncle called me yesterday. He is in his 90's and has always been very independent. He still drives and he and his wife go to mass daily, walk 3 miles a day, and until very recently lived in their own home that they bought in the 1970's. Their children urged them to move into a senior apartment. Home is almost on the market after a good year's work to move out and get it ready to sell. They would have stayed in their house except it is built in the side of a hill. The driveway and garage are the lower level, and when you enter the house, you have to climb a flight of stairs to the main living area where the kitchen, living room, dining room and bedrooms are. Ranch style homes is what senior citizens should live in, with everything on the ground level floor. Or, have an elevator! What does that cost?

Uncle talked about how the world is going downhill quickly. I told him that we know all of our days are numbered, and for older people like them who have lived a good life, whatever comes will come and those of us who are older can pass on peacefully, knowing we have had a good life in comparison to the rest of the world and those before and after us.

I remember years ago reading and hearing about those who are our generation living a life of spending, doing, and having whatever they wanted but not saving money. I see that frequently. How do you have a home worth more than a million or even a couple million dollars and in a couple years, you have lost or because of need, sold the home and now have no money? For the people I know, and there is more than one situation like this, they had money, unlike some of us who lived paycheck to paycheck, but also scrimped and saved and worked as many side jobs as we could, but they spent money on what they wanted with no thought about preparing for the future and old age. How do you live like that and then in your late 50's or even 60's lose your home because you never planned and prepared for your financial future? I have asked: "Why didn't you have a financial advisor?" "Because we didn't want anyone telling us what we could or couldn't do with OUR money."

I knew a women who died recently. I do not know all of her health issues. She was in her 70's. She and husband rubbed elbows with wealthy people, but lived in a small home. The wealthy wanted to go skiing in Europe, so to finance their trip to Europe to ski, they did a reverse mortgage on their home. As they aged, she could no longer go upstairs to their bedroom, the only one in the house, because of her health. But they didn't own their home, so they couldn't sell it and buy a place that would have been more suitable. When she died, we were questioning if there was any money for a funeral? No! Was there money for cremation? No! But they went skiing in Europe decades ago and were actually in some ways, still paying for that!

I do, too! If I was to divide the property taxes and insurance on my home month by month, that wouldn't even cover it, let alone the rest of living expenses.

The reality is that at some point in time, we are either dead or need lots of help and support. I have wanted to buy land and develop it, but, the day is coming where I will not be able to do what it takes to live like that.

My uncle called me yesterday. He is in his 90's and has always been very independent. He still drives and he and his wife go to mass daily, walk 3 miles a day, and until very recently lived in their own home that they bought in the 1970's. Their children urged them to move into a senior apartment. Home is almost on the market after a good year's work to move out and get it ready to sell. They would have stayed in their house except it is built in the side of a hill. The driveway and garage are the lower level, and when you enter the house, you have to climb a flight of stairs to the main living area where the kitchen, living room, dining room and bedrooms are. Ranch style homes is what senior citizens should live in, with everything on the ground level floor. Or, have an elevator! What does that cost?

Uncle talked about how the world is going downhill quickly. I told him that we know all of our days are numbered, and for older people like them who have lived a good life, whatever comes will come and those of us who are older can pass on peacefully, knowing we have had a good life in comparison to the rest of the world and those before and after us.

I remember years ago reading and hearing about those who are our generation living a life of spending, doing, and having whatever they wanted but not saving money. I see that frequently. How do you have a home worth more than a million or even a couple million dollars and in a couple years, you have lost or because of need, sold the home and now have no money? For the people I know, and there is more than one situation like this, they had money, unlike some of us who lived paycheck to paycheck, but also scrimped and saved and worked as many side jobs as we could, but they spent money on what they wanted with no thought about preparing for the future and old age. How do you live like that and then in your late 50's or even 60's lose your home because you never planned and prepared for your financial future? I have asked: "Why didn't you have a financial advisor?" "Because we didn't want anyone telling us what we could or couldn't do with OUR money."

I knew a women who died recently. I do not know all of her health issues. She was in her 70's. She and husband rubbed elbows with wealthy people, but lived in a small home. The wealthy wanted to go skiing in Europe, so to finance their trip to Europe to ski, they did a reverse mortgage on their home. As they aged, she could no longer go upstairs to their bedroom, the only one in the house, because of her health. But they didn't own their home, so they couldn't sell it and buy a place that would have been more suitable. When she died, we were questioning if there was any money for a funeral? No! Was there money for cremation? No! But they went skiing in Europe decades ago and were actually in some ways, still paying for that!

We prioritized. No trips to Europe. This is us now.

NEIGHBORS Final.jpg

If i had taxes and insurance that cost me over $700 a month i couldnt and wouldnt live there....i mean my home payment was only $3000 a year.Yes a year..i had yearly payment instead of monthly payments. But anyhow its reasons people are fleeing place in north with high taxes and coming to rural south running up prices by bringing their big cash sales of homes.

I decided to live where i am in 97 for wide range of reasons.Just one daily costs..well thanks to obama that donkeys rear in 08ish and his illegal executive orders it ruined that forever coupled with state doing an illegal thing with allowing a sale of a power company.

Senior survival...its a real thing.

Someone from church bought tickets for a big fund raising event. It was a dress up event. I was told that people had gone shopping to buy cocktail dresses. I have never owned nor worn a cocktail dress. I was encouraged to buy one, because everyone else was. I about blew a gasket. I wasn't about to buy a cocktail dress now because of an event for one night! I wouldn't likely ever wear it again. I thought it was the most ridiculous idea. I wore a skirt and nice blouse and received compliments. I was dressed better than some others. Not everyone was going to spend ridiculous amounts of money because the event was billed to be a gala.

If i had taxes and insurance that cost me over $700 a month i couldn't and wouldn't live there....i mean my home payment was only $3000 a year.
Taxes and homeowner's insurance has gone up sharply in the last couple of years. Insurance has gone up more than $100 a month! Taxes are up almost that much. My first mortgage payments were around $300 a month. House is paid off. Now these two expenses are more than double first house payments. This is how many people are going to lose their homes on the way to being peasants while the wealthy are ready for the pickings.

I have never been wealthy, never really accepted being "poor". I do remember living in an old trailer, with no heat, hot water, or stove. Washed using water from a jug that was heated by a small space heater in the bathroom... After a year, I got hold of a second hand electric water heater and installed that so I could take a hot shower. Learned you can do a lot with an electric skillet and a toaster oven. I wasn't "poor" because I worked every day (minimum wage) and I paid my bills. But I spent a long time being one accident away from being poor.....

I think that as many have said here, we need to create a thread to talk about how to prep for getting old, one floor living with a minimalist lifestyle that can be sustained with meager resources. I looked at this https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/ and pulled this table out of it. My take on it is that if you are planning to live on social security you need to plan on living on something between $650 and $1500, this is based on the assumption that you have to pay medicare out of your benefit... Yes we as a group should try to develop a thread to help these people plan for this "wall".

Table 2.Social Security benefits, January 2024
Type of beneficiaryBeneficiariesTotal monthly benefits (millions of dollars)Average monthly benefit (dollars)
Number (thousands)Percent
Total67,186100.0118,9661,770.71
Old-Age and Survivors Insurance58,71287.4107,1421,824.89
Retirement benefits52,90878.798,4211,860.23
Retired workers50,33374.996,0861,909.01
Spouses of retired workers1,8852.81,720912.42
Children of retired workers6901.0615891.35
Survivor benefits5,8048.68,7211,502.73
Children of deceased workers2,0443.02,2591,104.73
Widowed mothers and fathers1000.11261,262.24
Nondisabled widow(er)s3,4605.16,1511,778.04
Disabled widow(er)s1990.3185926.25
Parents of deceased workers1(L)11,602.42
Disability Insurance8,47412.611,8241,395.33
Disabled workers7,33010.911,2671,537.03
Spouses of disabled workers870.136419.15
Children of disabled workers1,0571.6521492.78
SOURCE: Social Security Administration, Master Beneficiary Record, 100 percent data.
NOTE: (L) = less than 0.05 percent.

Taxes and homeowner's insurance has gone up sharply in the last couple of years. Insurance has gone up more than $100 a month! Taxes are up almost that much. My first mortgage payments were around $300 a month. House is paid off. Now these two expenses are more than double first house payments. This is how many people are going to lose their homes on the way to being peasants while the wealthy are ready for the pickings.
I have a friend retired and been traveling around southeast this winter.He said you wouldnt believe the amount of seniors 'camping' but they were told its how they actually live as they lost homes and more and cant afford rent or buy another home now.One said they live mostly on cruise ship now as once they added up rent,food and insurance the cruise was cheaper because of these deals they have now.

Traveling senior nomads is a real thing too.I mean they made an ward winning movie about it even.

Not even mentioning slab city.

Since sourdough started this thread prepping for old age preparing for senior poverty falls under that as well. Since several already talked about this i will continue on since many things here might help others over this broad subject..hope its ok sourdough.

Eating breakfast.My dad has to have oatmeal every morning...period. I buy him a 50# every year and last one was $42 it lasts him over a year.Add in having half dozen chickens so you get eggs when ever thats pretty decent eating for cheap.You dont have to have elaborate set ups for chickens and high dollar feeds etc.Chickens are foragers !

Lunch and or dinner/supper..a 50# at sams is currently $25.98.Couple that with fresh grown vegetables from garden or frozen veg from the markets.Can be pretty cheap eating...we are talking survival here.Add in soy-sauce and meat when you can.Chinese in my area is high dollar now..well everything has gotten high to be honest.

........ they did a reverse mortgage on their home. ..........
I have always thought that reverse mortgages are about the dumbest idea I have heard of.

So people in the latter couple of decades of their life are supposed to do these huh?

Exactly what date do they plan on dying?

They need to know that twenty years before to make a reverse mortgage work (and not leave them homeless if they are "behind schedule").

Those who have had a normal mortgage know how the first payments when you buy the property seem like a lot....but by the time you get to the last payment they seem like a lot less (and indeed are in real dollars due to correction for inflation).

Also, by the time you get to the last payment, the property will be worth a lot more than you paid for it.

Well, that same thing happens for the bank that gives you the reverse mortgage........they benefit from that capital gain over the term, all those inflation linked factors and the borrower (who gives up the asset) wears all that erosion of value over time.

The wife and I traveled around the world many times. Mostly paid for by our jobs. We bought boats and did whatever we wanted during our working careers. Saving and investing was always at the top of our priority list though. We bought and sold many houses, an apartment building, timber land, a couple farms and ranches. Always making a good profit on the sale of these property's. I didn't like being a landlord. Got tired of hearing everyone's sob story. We all have issues to deal with, and paying rent should be on top of their list.
The problem with SS is that so many people are sucking off the system who have never paid a dime into it.
The best advice for anyone is to save and invest for their own future, never depend on the government to do it for you. I've been on SS for a couple years now but don't need it. It's like a little extra fun money for us.

The wife and I traveled around the world many times. Mostly paid for by our jobs. We bought boats and did whatever we wanted during our working careers. Saving and investing was always at the top of our priority list though. We bought and sold many houses, an apartment building, timber land, a couple farms and ranches. Always making a good profit on the sale of these property's. I didn't like being a landlord. Got tired of hearing everyone's sob story. We all have issues to deal with, and paying rent should be on top of their list.
The problem with SS is that so many people are sucking off the system who have never paid a dime into it.
The best advice for anyone is to save and invest for their own future, never depend on the government to do it for you. I've been on SS for a couple years now but don't need it. It's like a little extra fun money for us.
Great advice! I preach the same thing, (probably too much:().
I too am a living example that investing does indeed make for a much better life as you get in your later years. :thumbs:

I have a friend retired and been traveling around southeast this winter. He said you wouldn't believe the amount of seniors 'camping' but they were told its how they actually live as they dlost homes and more and cant afford rent or buy another home now. One said they live mostly on cruise ship now as once they added up rent, food and insurance the cruise was cheaper because of these deals they have now.

Traveling senior nomads is a real thing too. I mean they made an ward winning movie about it even.

Not even mentioning slab city.
Many of these people mostly support themselves by making YouTube videos. There are many YT channels with people showing this lifestyle. They live in camps together, have gatherings, move to new locations together.
Did you know that people who live this lifestyle are considered homeless and have been for a few decades? Technically, they are homeless. When the census is taken, anyone who lives in a van or RV is listed as homeless.

Last edited:
Sorry yall..but you cant draw SS if you not payed into it. you have to at least do 40 quarters to even draw from it. If you not done that you cant... others get SSI..two different things.

yall be shocked if i told yall what they took out of my checks during a 10 year period. not fair to single folks without kids. i paid in over 40 years now...i am done with it all.

A lot of people are sucking off the government tit without ever paying in to it. Whether it be SS or SSI, still wrong.
sorry but SS is what i PAID INTO..its not govt tit..it my tit...i paid a BUNCH into it.

Its money i put in period..i fully plan to draw it out if i live.

sorry but SS is what i PAID INTO..its not govt tit..it my tit...i paid a BUNCH into it.

Its money i put in period..i fully plan to draw it out if i live.
Never said drawing SS was sucking off the government tit. Guess I meant SSI. Only the programs where people can receive money without paying in to it is wrong.

I'm 75, wife is 77. We have always been lower middle class in our working career. That took a hit in 1995 when she could no longer work due to health reasons.
At that time my salary alone paid the mortgage on our 4 acres w/mobile home, plus all the taxes and usual expenses, plus supported three horses, 8 dogs, and often as many as 60 chickens. (Feed and vet bills was $500 per month alone).
We've never had credit cards, never had vehicle payments, did not live beyond our means. We made it all happen, but any talk of "investments" or "retirement savings" was not realistic. But you know what? Everything is paid off, we have no debt, and we are HAPPY.
I work part time, three days a week at minimum wage to help out with bills, but mainly so I can have personal spending money and can afford to make it to our annual Army unit reunions. Being with guys I went to war with is priceless to me.
100% of my SS check goes straight to the house fund, I get zero of it. I do get an old pension of $250/month but that wouldn't even keep me in gasoline for my truck. So, at at my age I'm still out there humpin' 3 days a week.

Being poor and living on Social Security does get us some breaks. Our Social Security is low enough that it is not taxed at income tax time. A percentage of SS is if it is over a certain limit. Florida has no state income tax, and on 4 acres w/house and barns and stables, etc we pay no property tax either. We get exemptions for being over 65 and being under a certain income.

We are pretty physically fit for our age - we keep active hauling 50# sacks of feed, 70# bales of hay, and just the things required to run the place and keep it up. Sometimes the 18" chainsaw gets heavy for me, but then I've got my old 14" Husky saw. I can still swing an axe. But that Earthquake post hole auger is getting heavier and heavier.

I've been hospitalized a number of times in the past few years, and should have died at least once, but God has a plan for me because I'm still here.
That's critical because the nearest hospital/ER is a very long hour away.

A few years ago (maybe 2021 or 22') I was getting a brain MRI. Standing in under shorts a gown, just as they were positioning me in machine, young lady shows up, claiming she had some questions, while looking at me. I said O.K. what is it......??? She had a trainee along with her.

She asked me if I had ever had an MRI in the past. I said, "several". She next asked when and where. I said Anchorage, Alaska, she pushed to know where and when. I said, my best guess was most likely at Imaging Associates, but I could not remember what month or year exactly, or what that one was being done for.

She kept at this for several minutes, and I was getting cold and shivering slightly. The trainee then got her attention, show her something on the clip board. She took the clip board from the trainee, looked me and stated exactly where & exactly when, & the reason for my last MRI.

As I stood there bewildered & getting pissed, she read off every MRI that I have ever had, (maybe about 8 or 9). I asked where she got all that information, that I understood that was confidential. She told me where they had gotten it from.

But as I set here posting this, I don't remember her answer. She attempted to dismiss the information saying it stay with-in the medical community.

I now laugh every time someone in the medical community say's, don't worry it is all confidential.

Another one (quickly). When I get sent to a new to me medical specialist, I always call and warn them that I have hearing and vision issues, and the filling out a 30-page patient information form is impossible. They respond, "That is OK, we will have your referring doctor's office send us three years of my medical history".

All medical stuff is computerized now. And on one of the forms that a doctor's office has every new patient fill out there is a box to sign that authorizes them to release your information to others, if necessary for your treatment. Usually on the last page or two.

Latest posts

Back