PREPPING for being "OLD", 80's and 90's and 100's.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now laugh every time someone in the medical community say's, don't worry it is all confidential.
I wonder how many different companies do MRI's in Alaska? It could very well be that the place where you got your previous MRI's and the place you were getting your current one were both owned by the same company. And that company would have records of all the procedures they did for you. In much the same way I live in Colorado, and get my healthcare here using Kaiser insurance, but if I walked into a Kaiser facility in Hawaii they could access all my medical records from Colorado. Also, the same way the Colonoscopy department within Kaiser can see any records I have from the Optometry department within Kaiser, even though the two departments don't have a whole lot to do with each other. Same company, different facilities, different states, different departments - but they all have access the same patient records. It doesn't even have to be the same company necessarily. Where I am, I see my doctors in the Kaiser building. Right next door is a hospital - Good Samaritan - that does surgeries for Kaiser. And Kaiser admits patients there if they require hospitalization. The hospital can see Kaiser records and Kaiser can see hospital records for a patient that is being treated by both companies.

There are major ramifications for medical providers to breach HIPAA laws. It would not pay for them to breach HIPAA (what would they gain?), but it sure could hurt them. It would take a major dumbass employee to disclose medical records inappropriately. No doubt they would be fired on the spot for doing so. What possible benefit would come to someone who told the world that Sourdough had an MRI on this date at this facility for this medical condition? The only possible people I can think of who might care about this are you and an insurance company that is considering insuring you. And evidently you don't care all that much either - not remembering the date, the facility or the reason why it was done (FWIW - I wouldn't remember those details for a procedure I had myself - well, maybe the reason it was done - because I don't care either). But trying to hide that information from an insurance company would put you in the fast lane for immediate policy cancellation, or refusal to pay a claim.

its not my job to remember.....i just get repaired and leave....thats what records are for....
And a good reason why your medical records need to be shared between the health care providers who are taking care of you. Using an iron fist to block that sharing between providers is not to your benefit. Yeah, you get privacy that way. You also get sub-optimal medical care. Possibly resulting in untoward outcomes, disability or death.

It could very well be that the place where you got your previous MRI's and the place you were getting your current one were both owned by the same company. And that company would have records of all the procedures they did for you.
No.......not possible.

Prepping for being old- we are still working but are on a mission so to speak. Next place will hopefully be our last move. No stairs is a must, wide doorways so things like walkers and wheelchairs fit, not a McMansion. We might end up building if we find the right location. What we have found is many very large, multi level homes with more bathrooms than I care to clean. We also want to have a Granny flat (or what Amish called a doddy house) as we both have aging parents. As we age theoretically we would either move into it or have it for a helper.
Another thing is I am weird (I see the shocked expression on your face 😂). I ask for everything if it is an asset or liability. A lawn is a liability. A painted finish is a liability (once you paint something, you have to keep painting it). Anyway, I could go on but won’t. Many of the things we think we need are liabilities rather than assets. With all that payment can be in multiple forms of which money is only one. Others are time, energy, inconvenience, etc. I feel like we are a little late to the game on this compared to my own expectations but by comparison to what I see in society, we are ahead of the curve. Time will tell.

Sorry yall..but you cant draw SS if you not payed into it. you have to at least do 40 quarters to even draw from it. If you not done that you cant... others get SSI..two different things.

yall be shocked if i told yall what they took out of my checks during a 10 year period. not fair to single folks without kids. i paid in over 40 years now...i am done with it all.
I have had people try to tell me that when they retired, SS would be enough. Okay, what is enough? I think that people don't understand that the cost of living keeps going up, and I have never seen it come down. I paid into SS for several years, but there is no way I could live on that. I do have a retirement income from teaching which of course is tied to Wall Street. I fully expect Wall Street to collapse at some point in time. Many people will be SOL when that happens.

I ask for everything if it is an asset or liability.
This is good to do. We do this as well. But we also look at general well-being. Take for example, the skylights we had installed in our house. These are not good for the "bottom line" in any way, shape or form. Desirable heat escapes through them in the winter, and undesirable heat enters through them in the summer. However, they improve our quality of life by making our house feel more alive inside. They improve our mood. They make us like our surroundings better than we would if we lived in a dark place. These pluses can't really be measured monetarily. But they are real benefits (to us). So ... we had skylights installed, despite the hit to our net worth that they cause. There are many things we do that are worse for our net worth and are far stupider than a few silly skylights. Like paying for both Xfinity cable and DirectTV - especially since we rarely watch any TV! Or having a land line in addition to our cell phones. Actually, we have two landlines! One is for faxes (we haven't sent or received a fax in going on 15 to 20 years now). So I can't really complain about the skylights given how brain-damaged we are on other useless expenses.
A lawn is a liability.
Actually, it's a recurring "expense", but I understand what you are getting at. It subtracts from your net worth. It costs money, but doesn't bring any money in - much like my skylight example. But for many people, this expense is worth it for the mood and general well-being benefits it provides. Not for me though. If I had my way, our grass would be gone. I didn't feel this way when the grass was laid shortly after we bought the house (long ago). But I feel that way now. This is probably because the kids have grown up and left so we don't run around and play in the grass like we used to. Now I just look at it and think, "Dang, is it already time to mow that stuff again?!"

Did a lot of things to cover retirement and will probably not be broke unless there is a civil war, world war, communist or nwo take over and I will not be allowed to own what is mine or have any of my funding sources.

I do not need anything I have to live but a tin can, 22-or mag bolt action and some rounds, some of the heritage seeds, a crosscut saw, an axe, fishing, line, knife, homemade hollow grind sharpener and like enough silver to get a small cabin stove with a cooking eye, if not I can build a fire pit from dirt, rocks and some blackened iron wood.

I can walk to the river and live in the bush till I get a dugout cabin built big enough to live in easily.

Depends on the time of year how hard it would be to make it to the next one.

Starting in early spring it would be great early fall or winter would be hard.

What do you really need to live?

I wonder how any of the current young school age generation would live without all of the things they expect in their every day life.

I doubt the could live on twice what their grandparents could.

Dealing with wood or coal heat could very well be impossible when injured or bedridden. For me the electric heat pump became the main heat source. Unless you have very dependable help your in deep trouble. Having groceries delivered is a problem for many locations. Not being able to drive. Pharmacy that dont deliver. Doctors an hours drive one way. Tending animals huge problem. Even going to the feed store. Loading unloading 50 lb feed bags. Hiring help is hard, expensive and undependable. Our children live further away. Might not be able to help in person or afford to hire people for us. Some dont care, we are not their problem. Want to see how you would do... Tie one arm to your your side. Brace your knees. Put your shoes on backwards. Now go feed the chickens. Bring a load of wood in. Figure out how your getting food in. Oh but you have canned ,ok go to the basement to bring up your goods. Same for prepper goods are they easy to get to if your having trouble walking or lifting?

Dealing with wood or coal heat could very well be impossible when injured or bedridden. For me the electric heat pump became the main heat source. Unless you have very dependable help your in deep trouble. Having groceries delivered is a problem for many locations. Not being able to drive. Pharmacy that dont deliver. Doctors an hours drive one way. Tending animals huge problem. Even going to the feed store. Loading unloading 50 lb feed bags. Hiring help is hard, expensive and undependable. Our children live further away. Might not be able to help in person or afford to hire people for us. Some dont care, we are not their problem. Want to see how you would do... Tie one arm to your your side. Brace your knees. Put your shoes on backwards. Now go feed the chickens. Bring a load of wood in. Figure out how your getting food in. Oh but you have canned ,ok go to the basement to bring up your goods. Same for prepper goods are they easy to get to if your having trouble walking or lifting?
yep...or your body is strong enough and you have a bout of vertigo...seniors get vertigo they doing nothing...no one is..even a young person with it.

Before anyone hollers it aint right thats not fair..i dont care what my opinion or your opinion is about this is...whats important is the reality of it is and that its a things implemented by our govt and society often even before some of us..That being said...i admit i dont know the full details of this..but i see some type of senior services something another...they go by a few folks homes and drop off meals that are easy to eat something like 3 days a week..it could be daily not real sure.

Anyone with more knowledge and i am sure theres different things in different areas and regions.

I know theres 'help' from private sector in my area by churches and more for elderly and disabled too.

I am here to talk solution in our current reality not to talk politics of the system. we have to navigate this current system as it is not as we wish it is.

Earlier in weekly North Dakota Extension came out with this webinar for gardeners

Field to Fork 2024: Gardening with Arthritis and Pain​

Earlier in weekly North Dakota Extension came out with this webinar for gardeners

Field to Fork 2024: Gardening with Arthritis and Pain​

I'll have to watch that tonight. Already doing something similar for dad. Pots up on milk crates so he can use his garden scooter to tend them. We have raised beds but they are only about 18" high. We do have some that are up on legs and last fall we ordered three more. In fact, took two of the boxes out of the storage building so Dad can start building them. Of course, that has prompted rain for the next four days.

Cedar raised garden beds

my plan is this: I won't live long enough to become decrepid. When we get too old to take care of the animals we will of course sell them. As long as there are 2 of us, we are ok for now. If husband should die before me ( hope not) , I might keep a few animals . A lot depends on where our kids will end up. If they are close by I will keep animals until I drop dead and have them come take care of them or sell them if something happens to me
Wood stove : if I am too old to carry a few pieces of wood and make a fire, I am too old to live
I know most people disagree with me on that, which is fine, but I don't intend on living handicapped or end up in a nursing home, life is not that great that I have to cling to it at all cost....
( I never get any sort of cancer checks and will never have any treatment for that, I will never have treatment for something that can't be cured, like kidney problems or whatever either, so I probably won't live all that long)
At this point the only thing I would like to prevent is a stroke, since you could end up a vegetable without any say in what happens to you, so I do take blood pressure meds, even if it's not that high
I also take at least a few aspirin every week

It is really important to remember that keeping the elderly alive as long as possible has become an industry in it's self, In a post shtf world people won't be going to nursing homes and be pumped full of drugs. All the investments in the world won't help if the financial system crashes. the base pensions are a joke. I just hope I can get the tractor shut off before I kick off so as not to destroy a bunch of usefull stuff

Sourdough has mentioned his hearing and eyesight troubles....well

I have friends who are in the same boat.One lost large portion of eyesight.I and a few others take him for various things along with some type of driving service he can get ever so often.These along with him still able to read enough to order online he gets a few things as well to sustain himself.

My biggest fear for him is being out in public and having trouble and possibility of cops showing up and him not being able to see or understand the situation.I dont know the answer but i have suggested to him some type medical alert bracelet or necklace to get others attention in this case letting them know he has issues.The one bad thing about this is it might let the bad guys know he has more troubles than visible and make him a target.I dont know the answer to this...anyone thoughts on this matter?

If they're not going to nursing homes and getting pumped full of drugs, then maybe they'll live longer. Seriously, people need to take care of their own. It seems to be money motivated now. The food delivery in the cities is Meals on Wheels, and can be had by talking to a senior center where a person lives. I did that for mom when she lived in California, and I was in New Mexico. In our little town, people are put on "lists", and the younger ones bring by meals. No charge. Usually widows. Or people just out of the hospital. I bring by banana pecan bread loaves now and again for the widow down the road. And when my neighbor and I did a large batch of my roosters, my neighbor canned all the meat, and brought a bunch to the widow. This widow on our "block" can still drive (is english) so she just eats out alot.
Driving is a problem. Husband was going pretty blind, then had cataract surgery, and he still doesn't drive because both shoulders went out. I'm his driver. But also drive for our amish neighbors if they have a problem and need to get to the bigger town.

We have a two story house. Our bedroom in on the ground floor, and two bedrooms and bathroom are upstairs. Since we built on a slope, there are 10 steps up to the front door. We have a redwood deck that goes around 3 sides of the house. The side and back deck only have 2
steps, which we use more than the front. We keep the side by side parked by the side of the house and use it to get around the property and to check the mail. We heat with wood. We have a wood shed just a few steps from the side deck. Cutting and splitting 7 or 8 cord of firewood is a big chore. Usually I'll go out and find some dead fir trees, cut them down and drag them up to the house with the tractor for further processing. When I'm too old to cut my own wood I'll have to buy or trade for it. In the past I've traded beef and hogs for firewood. Putting up hay is another big chore. Right now I can still handle the 95 pound bales. I can haul 6 ton on my trailer. When I can no longer handle the 95 pound 3 string bales I'll have to get it delivered. I've tried to make this place as easy to manage as possible, and as comfortable as I could for the wife. But the simple fact is, if I die before the wife, she'll have to sell all the livestock and the ranch. She would never be able to manage this place on her own. Neither of us has any family that could take care of us in old age, so we're still trying to figure that out. We'd probably just buy or build a small house on a few acres somewhere and hire someone to come in a few times a week to help out. But hopefully that won't be needed until we're in our 90's.
Our 8 year grandson says that he wants our place and that he'd take care of us when we get old. We'll see how that works out.

What if you did not age (as far as physical abilities, strength, agility, balance. etc.) at all till some point, and then you aged (as far as physical abilities) surprisingly fast.......???

I was as physically strong an able as I ever was or needed to be till the spring that I turned 74 y/o.

[ Generic post here, not targeted at anyone here, or anyone in specific ]

Many people say things like "when I get that bad, I will kill myself rather than live a life like that".

But nobody actually does that (except for a very few rare cases). It's bravado. Maybe not meant to be bravado when it is said, but that's what it turns out to be.

I know someone who is constantly saying that he refuses to live a decrepit life and will kill himself before it gets to that. I don't have the heart to tell him that he's already way past that point, and has been for quite a while. Just like your definition of "old" changes as you actually get old, your definitions of "decrepit" and "miserable" change as well.

What if you did not age (as far as physical abilities, strength, agility, balance. etc.) at all till some point, and then you aged (as far as physical abilities) surprisingly fast.......???

I was as physically strong an able as I ever was or needed to be till the spring that I turned 74 y/o.
I have found that I have aged in steps, and those were fairly rapid when they happened, the in between time the aging seemed to almost stop or go really slowly. In my opinion denial is our worst enemy, Like a week or so ago I took a pretty hard conk to the head, I behaved my self and recovered from that instead of charging through, "playing hurt" now the cold weather hit, I am kind of working at a reduced pace.
This is a very valid thread and I am really glad you started it. It has made me do a bit of thinking for sure.

my plan is this: I won't live long enough to become decrepid. When we get too old to take care of the animals we will of course sell them. As long as there are 2 of us, we are ok for now. If husband should die before me ( hope not) , I might keep a few animals . A lot depends on where our kids will end up. If they are close by I will keep animals until I drop dead and have them come take care of them or sell them if something happens to me
Wood stove : if I am too old to carry a few pieces of wood and make a fire, I am too old to live
I know most people disagree with me on that, which is fine, but I don't intend on living handicapped or end up in a nursing home, life is not that great that I have to cling to it at all cost....
( I never get any sort of cancer checks and will never have any treatment for that, I will never have treatment for something that can't be cured, like kidney problems or whatever either, so I probably won't live all that long)
At this point the only thing I would like to prevent is a stroke, since you could end up a vegetable without any say in what happens to you, so I do take blood pressure meds, even if it's not that high
I also take at least a few aspirin every week
Sonya, I hope that your plan works. As for me, these last 5 years have hit me like a ton of bricks. Forget going down the stairs to the stove with firewood. Lots of things are not a good idea anymore.i am not that old and have lots that I can contribute, but aches and pains and slow is the way I go. Don’t like it, but it is what it is.

my plan is this: I won't live long enough to become decrepid.
Exactly what I have been saying for more than 60 years. I have lived life burning the candle from both ends, and fire in the middle of the candle most days. My dear friends of the last 54 plus years, constantly remind me that for the last 54 years, I have said I'll be dead with-in a year. Everyone who knows me personally, has always considered me suicidal. I never in my wildest imaginings figured I could or would live to be 77 y/o.

Exactly what I have been saying for more than 60 years. I have lived life burning the candle from both ends, and fire in the middle of the candle most days. My dear friends of the last 54 plus years, constantly remind me that for the last 54 years, I have said I'll be dead with-in a year. Everyone who knows me personally, has always considered me suicidal. I never in my wildest imaginings figured I could or would live to be 77 y/o.
well my dad ran a business in his 70s until his heart problems made him finally shut it down around that age ( maybe 76)
He is now 84 and still driving and living on his own. I suppose he will probably just drop dead when his hearts stops one of these days. My mother got parkinsons and ended up in a way I will not end up. If I get anywhere near that I really will off myself. There is nothing other than being too chicken to do it that would keep me on this planet if I get that. She couldn't walk, she couldn't eat, she couldn't swallow and eventually suffocated after having pneumonia from inhaling some liquid. If I get anywhere near that I am done
10 years ago I ended up in the hospital after having a panic attack at the doctors office. She was an idiot and couldn't read the EKG or something and called the ambulance on me. The EMTs told me right away " you are most likely not having a heart attack" . In the hospital they did a heart scan and found nothing wrong with it, but they also saw some sort of tumors in my liver. The scheduled a MRI for that . I was 100% convinced I had liver cancer and would soon be dead. I had already planned it all out . But first I was going to visit India since that was the one country I always wanted to see and hadn't been, so I booked a trip. The MRI took a while to schedule and then I had to wait for the results. It was NOTHING. Some benign tumors women get from hormones. I forgot what they are called. The trip to India was awesome
Anyway, so I know what it feels like when you think you are going to die, and I can handle it.
I do what I want, always have.

Sonya, I hope that your plan works. As for me, these last 5 years have hit me like a ton of bricks. Forget going down the stairs to the stove with firewood. Lots of things are not a good idea anymore.i am not that old and have lots that I can contribute, but aches and pains and slow is the way I go. Don’t like it, but it is what it is.
so how old are you if I can ask? Menopause and a bad accident messed me up but I can still do farmwork
I do wonder at what point my body will wear out and I won't be able to do that anymore

I remember when I thought 40 must be old, then I reached 40 and I was just "mature" but thinking 55 must be old, well now I'm well past that and I realize that in a couple of years I will be old.... Just can't avoid it. My parents and my siblings never got "old", they just lived too hard and died..

Who knows, maybe some day I will grow-up and become a wandering spare hand to friendly homesteaders.... Just need the old truck and a little trailer.. :)

I'll have to watch that tonight. Already doing something similar for dad. Pots up on milk crates so he can use his garden scooter to tend them. We have raised beds but they are only about 18" high. We do have some that are up on legs and last fall we ordered three more. In fact, took two of the boxes out of the storage building so Dad can start building them. Of course, that has prompted rain for the next four days.

Cedar raised garden beds
My aunt had 2 of those for a couple years. She loves them so got a couple more and still loves them 😍

Before anyone hollers it aint right thats not fair..i dont care what my opinion or your opinion is about this is...whats important is the reality of it is and that its a things implemented by our govt and society often even before some of us..That being said...i admit i dont know the full details of this..but i see some type of senior services something another...they go by a few folks homes and drop off meals that are easy to eat something like 3 days a week..it could be daily not real sure.

Anyone with more knowledge and i am sure theres different things in different areas and regions.

I know theres 'help' from private sector in my area by churches and more for elderly and disabled too.

I am here to talk solution in our current reality not to talk politics of the system. we have to navigate this current system as it is not as we wish it is.
Meals on wheels in many areas out here. They will deliver 3-5 times per week depending upon what one qualifies for. I will say, the meals are on par with what you would expect to see in a school cafeteria 🤢 No special diets, mostly carbs, few veggies, meats either heavily breaded or mystery patties. But, if one is truly starving, it would eat. But it wouldn't promote health.

Latest posts

Back