PREPPING for being "OLD", 80's and 90's and 100's.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So something I've not seen mentioned is roommates. If there are singles or even two couples, tasks can be split and if the place is set up well could have living space and private spaces. We lived with roommates in college. I find it interesting that once one is alone on the other end of life that for some reason is no longer an option. If there are 3-4 people in a household, each with his/her own room, just as in college - bills would be split. As long as the "rules" were laid out ahead of time, it could work.

So something I've not seen mentioned is roommates. If there are singles or even two couples, tasks can be split and if the place is set up well could have living space and private spaces. We lived with roommates in college. I find it interesting that once one is alone on the other end of life that for some reason is no longer an option. If there are 3-4 people in a household, each with his/her own room, just as in college - bills would be split. As long as the "rules" were laid out ahead of time, it could work.
I wouldn't mind having a couple college roommates too.....

I would do the roommate/farm helper thing. Except only females could be in the main house for a bedroom. The community I live in would have a problem with a male living in the main house with a widowed lady. Unless the male is your brother, son, or uncle...it's not ok. All our bedrooms are upstairs except the big one downstairs we built on with the handicapped bathroom. Four bedrooms and a living room upstairs...mostly little granddaughter's living room for puzzles and sewing. We always have room when our kids come to visit. And they all have a favorite room it seems.

Meals on wheels in many areas out here. They will deliver 3-5 times per week depending upon what one qualifies for. I will say, the meals are on par with what you would expect to see in a school cafeteria 🤢 No special diets, mostly carbs, few veggies, meats either heavily breaded or mystery patties. But, if one is truly starving, it would eat. But it wouldn't promote health.
After her fall and during her rehab. my piano teacher used the Meals on Wheels service. Around here, their food is good. My teacher liked it. I would visit her a couple of times a week when she was rehabbing at home and I always looked at the Meals on Wheels menu that they provided her (a months worth of upcoming meals). I would grab a photo of her menu with my phone when the new month came out, and use that for ideas of things I could cook at home. The meals looked very good from a nutrition standpoint. I never tasted any, but my teacher said they were good.

I have long thought this would be a great idea, especially for people who are older. The Golden Girls had it! But I also think that a big house with several people living in it would be great for expenses, sharing chores, cooking, meals, maybe transportation, shopping, yard work. It would take the right group of people and you are right, the rules would have to be laid out ahead of time. I like the idea of community.

I have a friend who bought a large home, perhaps a mansion (mansion = 5,000 square feet +) with 12 bedrooms! She has created a community there. Everyone pays money each month for their room, but also an amount for house supplies such as t.p., kitchen supplies, coffee, etc. They garden. I don't know about meals.

When I was in college, I lived in a 6 bedroom house with 5 other people. We shared dinner together, with each of us cooking one night a week, with Sunday being a day of no dinner cooked. We took turns baking bread for the house.

Latest posts

Back