Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Supervisor. So, the guy who was willing to come out got arrested yesterday so he's back in jail. ugh. And the owner of the other place that doesn't answer the phone much said he'd sell us a capacitor and send his guy out to fix it. My friend went to meet with the worker to show him where I live & the guy told him to pound sand. Said he'd sell him a $30 capacitor for $80 but he wasn't coming out here and my friend would have to install it himself.
I'm tempted to call the owner and complain about his employee being a jerk like that. We're sweltering here and he just flat out refuses to do work- plus charging more than double for the part. I'm not going to be doing business with them again.

My friend bought the capacitor and is trying to install it right now but the previous guy left a jumbled mess inside with electrical tape galore. First attempt hasn't worked yet. He's trying to figure it out but it's 92 outside but super humid. Also, the two terminal capacitor was not the right one so its a good thing I didn't order it online.

Thank you Supervisor! The end of the capacitor can blow out if it it dischaged too fast. Always use a resistor to discharge a high capacity capacitor.

How do I discharge the capacitor?
Also, found out the repair guy is out of jail! Waiting for him to call me back. Also trying to order another capacitor. A walmart employee told me as I was buying ice this morning. I told her the freezer went out this morning and AC went out yesterday. It got up into the 90s inside. I have every working fan in the house going. I hope Lee (the repair guy) will be able to come out. I don't know if he has any of the spare capacitors on him though. I'm sure he'll gripe about the plants around the AC but I've tried cutting them back as much as I can. There's a damn tree growing next to it now. I did as much cutting as I could this morning.
to discharge the capacitor all you have to do is disconnect the power supply to the system and with a screwdriver, insulated pliers or even a heavy duty piece of wire just cross from one set of terminals to the other, you will hear the pop that’s the stored voltage being discharged.
then all you have to do is fine a part with the same mfd.

Good thing I had those insulated pliers. I sent my friend a video on how to discharge and on how to install. He watched those and a few others. Then he called the guy who refused to come out-- turns out he couldn't leave his kids and boss didn't check with him first. But, he was nice enough to look at photos of the setup and walk my friend through how to fix it. There were two capacitors: One for the compressor and one for the fan. Compressor came on but fan did not. Went with my friend & paid another $10 for the 2nd compressor (much smaller) and AC is working. My friend is proud of himself bc he'd never fixed an AC before and now he knows how. I gave him a cherry otter pop and will help him hang his new kitchen door after I stain it. I'll provide the stain and brushes.
Unfortunately, the seller didn't include the door hanger bolts (despite saying ALL hardware was included). I've contacted him and am waiting for a response.

Update: AC stopped working again. It's now 91° in the coldest part of the house. Don't know why it crapped out but we are boiling in here. Dogs are panting. My brother is having a fit.

Last edited:
Good thing I had those insulated pliers. I sent my friend a video on how to discharge and on how to install. He watched those and a few others. Then he called the guy who refused to come out-- turns out he couldn't leave his kids and boss didn't check with him first. But, he was nice enough to look at photos of the setup and walk my friend through how to fix it. There were two capacitors: One for the compressor and one for the fan. Compressor came on but fan did not. Went with my friend & paid another $10 for the 2nd compressor (much smaller) and AC is working. My friend is proud of himself bc he'd never fixed an AC before and now he knows how. I gave him a cherry otter pop and will help him hang his new kitchen door after I stain it. I'll provide the stain and brushes.
Unfortunately, the seller didn't include the door hanger bolts (despite saying ALL hardware was included). I've contacted him and am waiting for a response.

Update: AC stopped working again. It's now 91° in the coldest part of the house. Don't know why it crapped out but we are boiling in here. Dogs are panting. My brother is having a fit.

It's a Trane brand and it was installed between 2009 and 2012. I know it was after my father passed but can't quite remember when we got it and the label that would say the model number is missing for some reason. I checked all over the unit and can't find it. It feels like the outside unit is giving off heat but I don't know if it got hot from being outside and still had heat inside bc it was so hot out there or if it is generating heat.
I took this video but I'm not great with a camera and I started getting tangled up in blackberry bushes I'd cut down. I need to annihilate the tree next to it but I have to find the right tools for it.

I’m generally an easy going guy, but this got me to questioning things.

Went to Philly airport to pick up my sister. I was 15 minutes early so figured I would just park before I hit the terminal and wait for a message that she had baggage and was ready. Philly had a nice parking lot, the cell call lot or something they called it. Big lot, you pull in there and wait. They closed the lot. For whatever reason, no longer an option.

I am a quarter mile or so from the terminal and see, ohh... 60 or 70 cars, that I could see anyway, pulled over on the shoulder. Hey, looks good to me! I pull behind them to wait. More cars parked behind me as I waited. Now and again a bunch of cars would pull out and head to the terminal, as flights arrived. Those of us there would move up to fill in the larger voids. It looked to be a pretty good system. She messaged they were running late and had not arrived yet.

Now. This is a ‘ramp’ kind of area before the airport. 3 lanes wide but only the center “lane” is derivable. The left and right are just… emergency or something, but not for traffic. So, it wasn’t like any of us were impeding folks who were going straight to the terminal or anything.

There was another ramp to the terminal that we were going to “Y” into up ahead. There were a lot of cars parked on the shoulder also, doing the same thing we were. Not a ton of traffic on that road either. Yeah, there would be vehicles, but it is 25 MPH or something and not a steady flow. I’d call it light traffic area.

Been there a bit and see a city cop car pull up behind folks on the other shoulder. Lights flashing and he would hit the siren in short blasts. As cars left, he would pull up to the next ones and repeat. He chased 40 or so cars from there. He pulls a U and heads towards us, going wrong way, lights on. Slow mind ya, crawling. Well, cars ahead of me pull out and go to the terminal. I see what is up so pull out and head down the road…

I see all the cars pulling over again, doing the same thing, but just around the corner from where we were. Hey, I pulled in behind them. Along comes the cop, lights on, siren bumping, chasing us all off.

So.. Now we have 60, 70 or more cars that were pulled over AND the traffic double parked at the terminals AND the folks who are just arriving… All bottled up on a 3 lane road in the terminal. One lane is parked, folks loading/unloading and many of them just parked. Middle lane is folks double parked, loading/unloading because folks are parked in the first lane. Third lane is all us new arrivals blocking it, trying to let folks from the other two lanes in/out as needed. It was the basic cluster-you-know-what.

I get past the first terminal, took a while of stop and go, and parked between there and the next gate. Sure enough, the cop pulls up behind me, lights on. I had watched him chasing folks away in the first terminal area. So, I get out and walk back to his car. He gets out and asks if there is a problem. I said, “Yes”. I asked where is the proper place to wait, while we await incoming flights now that the cell call lot is closed. His answer – “Just keep driving around in the loop.” I kid you not. Drive through the terminals, adding more traffic, go out the other end and take the big loop to go back through them again, until your friends flight arrives. THAT, was the official solution.

So, I told him I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything, he seemed nice enough. But what was wrong with us waiting BEFORE we got to the terminal It seemed like a pretty good solution to not having a lot to wait in. By him chasing us off, we were blocking traffic in the terminal, adding to the already much congested area. He simply stated it was his job to make sure no one parked on the shoulder around the airport, and to keep traffic moving. He offered nothing more and I did not press it further. I got in my car and stuck to the second lane, with folks all double parked and let everyone in/out ahead of me that I could. Cop right behind me, lights flashing and hitting the siren occasionally. Took 10 or so minutes to get through terminal A, and by the time I got to terminal C, it had been 30 minutes and I got the message she was ready at gate D, I knew which gate she was coming in. I wheeled into the third lane, back into the first at the terminal, picked her up and gone! I could see the cops lights, back where I was, waiting behind someone else, trying to get folks moving.

I’m generally an easy going guy, but this got me to questioning things.

Went to Philly airport to pick up my sister. I was 15 minutes early so figured I would just park before I hit the terminal and wait for a message that she had baggage and was ready. Philly had a nice parking lot, the cell call lot or something they called it. Big lot, you pull in there and wait. They closed the lot. For whatever reason, no longer an option.

I am a quarter mile or so from the terminal and see, ohh... 60 or 70 cars, that I could see anyway, pulled over on the shoulder. Hey, looks good to me! I pull behind them to wait. More cars parked behind me as I waited. Now and again a bunch of cars would pull out and head to the terminal, as flights arrived. Those of us there would move up to fill in the larger voids. It looked to be a pretty good system. She messaged they were running late and had not arrived yet.

Now. This is a ‘ramp’ kind of area before the airport. 3 lanes wide but only the center “lane” is derivable. The left and right are just… emergency or something, but not for traffic. So, it wasn’t like any of us were impeding folks who were going straight to the terminal or anything.

There was another ramp to the terminal that we were going to “Y” into up ahead. There were a lot of cars parked on the shoulder also, doing the same thing we were. Not a ton of traffic on that road either. Yeah, there would be vehicles, but it is 25 MPH or something and not a steady flow. I’d call it light traffic area.

Been there a bit and see a city cop car pull up behind folks on the other shoulder. Lights flashing and he would hit the siren in short blasts. As cars left, he would pull up to the next ones and repeat. He chased 40 or so cars from there. He pulls a U and heads towards us, going wrong way, lights on. Slow mind ya, crawling. Well, cars ahead of me pull out and go to the terminal. I see what is up so pull out and head down the road…

I see all the cars pulling over again, doing the same thing, but just around the corner from where we were. Hey, I pulled in behind them. Along comes the cop, lights on, siren bumping, chasing us all off.

So.. Now we have 60, 70 or more cars that were pulled over AND the traffic double parked at the terminals AND the folks who are just arriving… All bottled up on a 3 lane road in the terminal. One lane is parked, folks loading/unloading and many of them just parked. Middle lane is folks double parked, loading/unloading because folks are parked in the first lane. Third lane is all us new arrivals blocking it, trying to let folks from the other two lanes in/out as needed. It was the basic cluster-you-know-what.

I get past the first terminal, took a while of stop and go, and parked between there and the next gate. Sure enough, the cop pulls up behind me, lights on. I had watched him chasing folks away in the first terminal area. So, I get out and walk back to his car. He gets out and asks if there is a problem. I said, “Yes”. I asked where is the proper place to wait, while we await incoming flights now that the cell call lot is closed. His answer – “Just keep driving around in the loop.” I kid you not. Drive through the terminals, adding more traffic, go out the other end and take the big loop to go back through them again, until your friends flight arrives. THAT, was the official solution.

So, I told him I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything, he seemed nice enough. But what was wrong with us waiting BEFORE we got to the terminal It seemed like a pretty good solution to not having a lot to wait in. By him chasing us off, we were blocking traffic in the terminal, adding to the already much congested area. He simply stated it was his job to make sure no one parked on the shoulder around the airport, and to keep traffic moving. He offered nothing more and I did not press it further. I got in my car and stuck to the second lane, with folks all double parked and let everyone in/out ahead of me that I could. Cop right behind me, lights flashing and hitting the siren occasionally. Took 10 or so minutes to get through terminal A, and by the time I got to terminal C, it had been 30 minutes and I got the message she was ready at gate D, I knew which gate she was coming in. I wheeled into the third lane, back into the first at the terminal, picked her up and gone! I could see the cops lights, back where I was, waiting behind someone else, trying to get folks moving.
Ever wonder what their purpose is? It seems that this is a problem at several airports. Why do they close a lot where all of those cars could wait? I don't know about you, but I find that airport pickups are always such a frustration. And I always end up circling the loop!

This is only a "kinda" rant. One of our cow pasture neighbors bought a great Pyrenees pup for his mother who lived with him a year and a half ago. They gave him no training, no shots and hes un neutered. Mom moved out 6 months ago and the neighbor didn't want him but kept him because he bought him for mom and she might want him back. The dog is gentle and mostly hangs out with our steers. Well the house the guy was living in is.... Well, a dump. Hole in the roof, broken windows, no heat or well so he had to haul in water so he moved but still owns the land. The dog was used to roaming and was causing him tons of problems at his new place.

Welllll.... This morning he was back in our cow pasture so I called the guy and he said he took him back to the old place because he can't have him where he's at and we could just keep him if we wanted. While I don't really mind because he's good with the cattle and my other dogs are female so there should be no fighting but how about a phone call first!!??

This is only a "kinda" rant. One of our cow pasture neighbors bought a great Pyrenees pup for his mother who lived with him a year and a half ago. They gave him no training, no shots and hes un neutered. Mom moved out 6 months ago and the neighbor didn't want him but kept him because he bought him for mom and she might want him back. The dog is gentle and mostly hangs out with our steers. Well the house the guy was living in is.... Well, a dump. Hole in the roof, broken windows, no heat or well so he had to haul in water so he moved but still owns the land. The dog was used to roaming and was causing him tons of problems at his new place.

Welllll.... This morning he was back in our cow pasture so I called the guy and he said he took him back to the old place because he can't have him where he's at and we could just keep him if we wanted. While I don't really mind because he's good with the cattle and my other dogs are female so there should be no fighting but how about a phone call first!!??

Well, you might consider it a blessing. Great Pyrenees were bread to protect livestock, so he probably feels right at home out there with your herd. It will cost a few bucks for shots and neutering, but he might be a great asset. We used to dog sit for one, and she was a sweetheart. Very gentle. They are also supposed to be very protective of family, and good with children.

Communication! Assuming makes an A** of U and ME! And if his mother changes her mind, then what? If you were to decide to keep the dog, how would you be guaranteed that it is actually yours?

If the mother left the dog behind in the first place, she probably doesn't want him. Poor doggy. It sucks when people dump pets like that on other people without discussing it with them. My friend's Mom does that to him a lot. Brings over pets and then leaves them on his porch even though he can't afford to feed himself, much less pets. He's already decided he no longer wants the puppy she gave him. He was excited about her at first but then she did puppy things like chewing and peeing and pooping. So he tossed her out of the house and ignores her. But he won't do the same for his toxic girlfriend. Ok, he did kick her out but as soon as she purposely got knocked up by another guy he took her back. She's claiming he guy is abusive, but she said that about him to the other guy and I've caught her in lies multiple times. She will act all nice and helpful at first and then go back into full evil hag mode once she feels she's got her hooks back in. She already lost her job. She blacked out and they called an ambulance to take her to the hospital so they marked her as an unexcused absence/not finishing her shift and fired her. Although, she'd already been sent home a few times from throwing up due to morning sickness and it was her 6th point. She wanted to get fired though bc she wants to get on disability. But on FB she's telling everyone how she's getting in to nursing school bc she watched Grey's Anatomy and thinks its a glamorous job. She doesn't even have a full 8th grade education! She got pulled out of school for stabbing another kid with a pen in 8th grade and was supposed to be homeschooled but wasn't. So she has no GED.
So now he's fully supporting her again. He absolutely can't afford her car note or insurance. I wish he would stick to it when he briefly stands up to her and just tell her to go find someone else to support her or to support herself bc she is not a child and its not his baby. She's a horrible parent and shouldn't be having more kids. The baby she has already is over 21 months and can't speak a single word. I really wish the real father of the baby wasn't such a pushover as well. He could demand a paternity test and at least partial custody of the child. He's mentally ill but he raised his own siblings so he would probably be a better parent than my friend and the gf.

Communication! Assuming makes an A** of U and ME! And if his mother changes her mind, then what? If you were to decide to keep the dog, how would you be guaranteed that it is actually yours?

Mom doesn't want him. He's going to be in the pasture next to our house with my breeding stock and not in the pasture next to their property with the steers so it won't be a simple thing to just take him back and I have the text messages he sent and there were a few of our neighbors over for lunch when he drove out to give us the dog food he had and he told them as well.

Well, you might consider it a blessing. Great Pyrenees were bread to protect livestock, so he probably feels right at home out there with your herd. It will cost a few bucks for shots and neutering, but he might be a great asset. We used to dog sit for one, and she was a sweetheart. Very gentle. They are also supposed to be very protective of family, and good with children.

When they lived in the junked trailer last summer he spent most of his time with our steers. Most of the neighbors thought he was ours anyway.

Sounds like its better for the dog then, but still rude of your neighbor to dump him like that. Hopefully he'll behave himself.
The two hounds I've got are increasingly annoying. They whine about everything. The male is particularly bad. My brother flipped him off and the dog yelped like he was being killed. You know that sound dogs make when something is biting/hurting them very badly? The dog does that constantly if someone even looks at him wrong. I gently removed him from my bed when he was in the way and he sounded like he acted like he was being murdered. The female isn't as whiny or loud but she gets into stuff, chews things, & runs away when it is time to be put up in the greatroom. I have to carry her. I let them out at night thinking they just didn't like the heat in the day- but no, they just hate being outside.

My gripe for the day is that I think I have an ear infection.

I would like to dissect the minds of 1000 liberals to find out if they are part of the same human race as the rest of us, and if its inconclusive, well, its 1000 less libroids to deal with right?

I went over to drop off some Ensure for my friend. He was just leaving for work. The gf was all cranky & ignoring the baby screaming in the kitchen. She said not to take him out of the high chair since he'll get into stuff (his food was all gone and he was trying to climb out). He was covered in food. I've seen how she wipes him off-- very roughly. He cries and squirms while she screams at him. I reached near him and he flinched. I found everytime I moved my hands near him he was flinching like he thought he was going to get hit. I think she probably hits him when no one is around. She's rough enough as it is when people are watching. I got a wet paper towel and started wiping his hands off. He squirmed at first but once he realized I was being gentle he held his hands out and let me clean between his fingers and let me wipe his face. Then I showed him how to wipe the tray on his high chair. He took the paper towel and started wiping. I'm still concerned that he can't even say any words yet. At that age my cousin's kids were already speaking. Her youngest would ask for napkins to clean up messes at that age and would clean her own tray if something spilled. She also asked to put her sippy cup in a cup holder in the van.

As an aside, on a note of weirdness- there is some guy who every weekday between at least 4pm to 6:30pm parks in the road with his right turn signal on. He doesn't pull off on the shoulder. He just parks there and sits for those two hours blocking that lane (it's a 1 lane each way road). No idea what he's doing or why. It's possible he has his hazards on and the left blinker is out. I know its none of my business but I'm tempted to ask him why he does that. Is he pretending to be at work so his wife/gf/family don't realize what he's doing? Is he taking a breather to decompress before he goes home? WTHeck is he doing?

I have a rant and it may sound ugly but here it goes. When I was growing up there were lots of labor jobs, tractor drivers, truck drivers, gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores.... and the list goes on an on.. there were also jobs for people who could count, bank tellers, book keepers,..... and that was a long list. Now this is my rant... in the 30s most men did labor and women did waitress and counting jobs, in the 40s women moved into a lot of labor jobs due to the war, in the 50s a single earner family couldn't keep up with the Jones' so more women chose to go into the work force. Since the 60 the establishment has been pushing affirmative action encouraging hiring of minorities, women, and special groups, today businesses are eliminating labor and counting jobs as quickly as possible to improve their profit margin and the establishment is using "equity" pushing what used be covered by affirmative action into Management, Engineering, and Business ownership. Now I am all for giving everyone an even break, but when you push people aside to help special people you end up hurting others. I would not want to be a young straight white male in today's world, there is no place where you are welcome and forget about advancement if you do get a job. I have seen it first hand and it is shoved down our throats in required equity and diversity training.

If you want to know why things are going to H in a handbag look at the Leadership we are getting. The establishment is promoting people with no real experience to the top of the food chain (in every sector) and they are making decisions based on a delusional reality. Really, look around, we have folks like AOC in Congress, we have a VP by the name of Harris (listen to her talk and ask yourself what the heck did she just say?), look at the organizational chart of every Federal Agency and you will see the future..

And the big companies in the US are being pushed in the same direction.. Nope, I cannot see anyway things can get better under these conditions...

And my rant is: We have done this to ourselves........ and I think it all can be traced back to the public school system (free babysitting for the working masses) and the Universities where they are training our kids to submit to this doctrine and to be sorry for what GOD made them.....

It's a Trane brand and it was installed between 2009 and 2012. I know it was after my father passed but can't quite remember when we got it and the label that would say the model number is missing for some reason. I checked all over the unit and can't find it. It feels like the outside unit is giving off heat but I don't know if it got hot from being outside and still had heat inside bc it was so hot out there or if it is generating heat.
I took this video but I'm not great with a camera and I started getting tangled up in blackberry bushes I'd cut down. I need to annihilate the tree next to it but I have to find the right tools for it.
View attachment 86779
Zannej
in the picture if you look on the far right corner is where the mod# and ser# are , also Trane puts a secondary sticker inside the service door on the bottom metal plate just where your power enters the unit, if the weeds are grown up into the condenser coil that could be some excess heat gain, coils may need to be flushed with a water hose as well. When the ac is running is the fan on top of the outdoor unit running?

Last edited:
I almost put this in humor. The Rottweiler framed me.
I was using the weed eater with the metal blade. My wife starts yelling about the pear tree. I looked over and she was holding the top half of a recent planting. The trunk is about finger size. Well she starts asking me what I did? I replied nothing, as I mentally retraced my steps. It seems the rottie bit it in half. Weren't you watching her? No I replied I was watching this spinning blade. The rottie is a year and a half old and is capable of being unattended in the house for 4 hrs sometimes when we go to town. We haven't had any Turner and Hooch moments but she definitely gets puppy brain occasionally. I often joke it is like having a toddler with a wood chipper on her face.

My female german shepherd's only joy in life is sticks. I planted a mess of fruit trees last year and she pulled three up and bit two off. The two stubs are showing signs of life this week. I now have an electric fence around them. She is an older dog and will only chase sticks. Nothing else.

My female german shepherd's only joy in life is sticks. I planted a mess of fruit trees last year and she pulled three up and bit two off. The two stubs are showing signs of life this week. I now have an electric fence around them. She is an older dog and will only chase sticks. Nothing else.
Re the 2 stubs...

Many fruit trees use grafting to grow a known good fruit tree using a decease resistant root stock. If the tree regrows from below the graft you get a funky tree. Examine the stubs to see if it is regrowing from above or below the graft.

Deer ate top of of a dwarf apple tree. I let it regrow but it only produces crab apples. The only reason I have kept it is to practice grafting some day.

Ben

Latest posts

Back