Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Costco CITI card cost me nothing.
I get a kickback on it and also on my Amazon Visa.
I never carry a balance on any CC.
Yeah, I guess if you are an executive member, which costs $120 a year, the credit card is free? I just considered that the credit card price, but I suppose you are correct. I did hear this rate was climbing up to $150 a year next year?

Yeah, I guess if you are an executive member, which costs $120 a year, the credit card is free? I just considered that the credit card price, but I suppose you are correct. I did hear this rate was climbing up to $150 a year next year?
I was talked into that $120 a year based on the amount of a purchase daughter and I were making January, 2020. It never paid off for us, and I cancelled the executive membership. Guy selling it probably got some kickback from us signing up for it.

The Amazon Visa card we have gives cashback rewards and is always paid off every month so there is no interest. I've received stuff in the mail offering CC with a minimum fee of $200 or something and wanting to charge a fee just to have it. Laughed as I threw it on the burn pile.

I came to the realization that my tub is in the alcove a bit crooked. I don't know if that sucker can budge or if I want to try to move it at all. Needs to pivot counter clockwise just a tad to be straight. Ugh. Walls will look crooked when they are on, but it will be the tub.

Last edited:
Ticks! I hate ticks. In the past 2 days I've found 3 on me and that have bitten me in VERY unpleasant places. I've lived on this property for 11 years and have only had a tick on me 1 other time. On the animals I find them more frequently. Only thing I can figure is I picked them up on Sunday when I was working on the coop because I spent a good amount of time sitting on boards in the grass while wearing shorts. They're the itty bitty pinhead ones too so very hard to find without help and my SO is out of town at the moment so I don't have anyone to help me check for more in the hard to see places.

Sufice to say that I'll be spreading DE all over where I'm working and be wearing pants when I'm back there 😠

Ticks! I hate ticks. In the past 2 days I've found 3 on me and that have bitten me in VERY unpleasant places. I've lived on this property for 11 years and have only had a tick on me 1 other time. On the animals I find them more frequently. Only thing I can figure is I picked them up on Sunday when I was working on the coop because I spent a good amount of time sitting on boards in the grass while wearing shorts. They're the itty bitty pinhead ones too so very hard to find without help and my SO is out of town at the moment so I don't have anyone to help me check for more in the hard to see places.

Sufice to say that I'll be spreading DE all over where I'm working and be wearing pants when I'm back there 😠
Ticks are starting here too, Lori found one on her horse Star. She now has the tick key on a chain around her neck.

I don't mind, the tick inspections are kinda fun🥳

Ticks are starting here too, Lori found one on her horse Star. She now has the tick key on a chain around her neck.

I don't mind, the tick inspections are kinda fun🥳
Yeah, that means I need to start going over the horse more thoroughly because she usually gets deer ticks pretty bad.

They can be when you have the right person helping but when you have to do it for yourself...things get creative 🤣

I didn't know snakes could get ticks either. I like snakes a LOT more than I like ticks. I remember once finding a puppy in Guam that was abandoned on the road. We thought it was gray at first but when we got closer we saw it was covered in ticks. Took it to the only vet on the island, but it was closed. Fortunately, one of the employees was popping in to check something. We showed her the puppy and she was horrified. She said she'd take care of it and try to find it a home. Said she was going to immediately give it a bath, clean off the ticks, and put antibiotics on it.

My gripe is I went to get my naprosyn but it was over $200 so I couldn't get it. I'm going to have to see if there's a generic or some way to get a discount. That was with Singlecare. I think maybe it's an odd number of pills so it doesn't qualify for discount so I'm going to talk to my doctor and see if there is an amount that would qualify for the discount. I had GoodRx but Singlecare got a larger discount for me.

1678323724446.png
this is my go-to pain reliever. Ya just need one.

Ticks! I hate ticks. In the past 2 days I've found 3 on me

Me too, got one off me last night. Didn't expect them this early. Part of the reason I redid the tinctures in my travel kit today. Topped off my tick illness fighting tinctures like usnea. Started dosing right after I found the tick last night.

Why can't dog live longer? Took my old gal dog to the vet after work today. My worst fears were confirmed and unfortunately there's nothing I can do to stop it. Vet said we could have 4 months-2 years more with her. No way to know for sure. She's slowly becoming paralyzed in her hind end. One day she's going to go sown and not be able to get back up. But at least she doesn't seem to be in pain at the moment. We're fully on the downhill slide now. I'm wrecked. Already broke down and cried about 6 times including while talking to Vet. This dog has been to hell and back with me. She's been my constant companion and rock for 13 and a half years. I'm not ready to lose her.

Why can't dog live longer? Took my old gal dog to the vet after work today. My worst fears were confirmed and unfortunately there's nothing I can do to stop it. Vet said we could have 4 months-2 years more with her. No way to know for sure. She's slowly becoming paralyzed in her hind end. One day she's going to go sown and not be able to get back up. But at least she doesn't seem to be in pain at the moment. We're fully on the downhill slide now. I'm wrecked. Already broke down and cried about 6 times including while talking to Vet. This dog has been to hell and back with me. She's been my constant companion and rock for 13 and a half years. I'm not ready to lose her.
I'm so sorry, I went through this a year ago!! My heart goes out to you!! ♥️

Why can't dog live longer? Took my old gal dog to the vet after work today. My worst fears were confirmed and unfortunately there's nothing I can do to stop it. Vet said we could have 4 months-2 years more with her. No way to know for sure. She's slowly becoming paralyzed in her hind end. One day she's going to go down and not be able to get back up.
Would something like this be possible?
wheels-on-white_orig.png

I see them on lots of dog food commercials.

Last edited:
Havasu, I take the highest dose of Naprosyn available- 500mg. It still barely had any effect. I have a very high resistance to pain medication for some reason. Even two of those tablets wouldn't be enough. But, I'm still going to see if I can find a way to get the stronger dose cheaper.

ABR, I'm so sorry about your dog. I've been there (with the prognosis that they don't have long) and it sucks. I hope your dog will remain pain free and live comfortably for however long she has left. They sell dog diapers in case she becomes incontinent. My Akita mix had to wear diapers toward the end.

Would something like this be possible?
wheels-on-white_orig.png

I see them on lots of dog food commercials.
For a bit it might. She has one of 2 things, Degenerative Myelopathy or Lumbosacral Disease. Specific diagnosis of which would require an MRI, although even that is not guaranteed fool-proof, but the prognosis and treatment are the same. The lack of pain leans more toward the DM especially because German shepherds are extremely prone to it. DM is similar to ALS or Lou Gerigs disease in humans. Eventually it will effect her ability to breathe. For most dogs with DM it becomes a quality of life issue pretty quickly. She has been declining fairly rapidly, more than just old dog stuff, in the last few weeks which is why we finally went to the vet. He started her on low-dose steroids which should help a bit if it's Lumbosacral disease. He also recommended starting her on vitamin E as that may help some if it's DM.

I love my vet and I trust him 100%. In the 11 years I've been taking animals to him, he's never steered me wrong or tried to sell me unnecessary products or services. He's a plain straight talker. He knows she's important to me and said he'd do whatever he could to make sure she stays comfortable for however long she has left.

So I truly hate the IRS and our government that makes it possible. We no longer pay income tax since we are below the line you have to pay other than if I take out 401 k money which I then have to pay 10% fine on.
But we file taxes so there is no arguments about our medicaid since you have to work or look for a job in Virginia to get it, which is fine. Plus we have our land in landuse.
Anyway, so our accountant now tells me if you buy $600 or more of hay ( or other things) from 1 person, you are supposed to have them fill out some 1099 form including ss # and everything. If I asked any farmer around here to do that, I think they would not sell me the hay.....what a bunch of crap! Just another way they punish small business, farmers and non wealthy people while the larger corperations pay nothing !
If I had not changed my citizenship and if my family spoke the language sometimes I would really be temped to move back to Germany....at least they support small farmers there and the rich pay the taxes mostly, and I wouldn't have to worry about medicaid either.

I'm so sorry, I went through this a year ago!! My heart goes out to you!! ♥️
In fact so many here have gone through this, there is much support here! I have a thread in "family pets" called "it's time" where I cried here for 6 months as I was losing my dear Doberman!! All the kind words and understanding really helped!♥️

Anyway, so our accountant now tells me if you buy $600 or more of hay ( or other things) from 1 person, you are supposed to have them fill out some 1099 form including ss # and everything.
I thought 1099's were for services rendered and not products purchased. Basically 1099's are federal forms to report income, so as far as I know, products shouldn't apply. You also don't need to file one with an entity that is incorporated, but you should have a signed W9 on hand with them to prove that.

Although, I'm sure tax laws can vary from state to state and they seem to change (for the worse) almost daily anymore.

I thought 1099's were for services rendered and not products purchased. Basically 1099's are federal forms to report income, so as far as I know, products shouldn't apply. You also don't need to file one with an entity that is incorporated, but you should have a signed W9 on hand with them to prove that.

Although, I'm sure tax laws can vary from state to state and they seem to change (for the worse) almost daily anymore.

I looked it up and I think you are right. On the list of stuff it doesn't have anything that sounds like hay should be included. I copied and pasted and sent to the accountant...we have a reputable large accounting firm that doesn't charge us much since we don't have much income but they should still not make mistakes.
So far he hasn't replied.

And another rant...

I made a mistake and ordered something from Rural King, after the tiller disaster last year I should have known better. Ordered muck boots since I liked the ones I got there before but they are falling apart and they never seem to have my size in stock at the store.
So what do I get? The right box, with 2 left boots, neither of which are what I ordered....
Called them up and now I have to take photos of them , sent it per email, and get permission to return it. What a hassle.
They better refund my money.

And another rant...

I made a mistake and ordered something from Rural King, after the tiller disaster last year I should have known better. Ordered muck boots since I liked the ones I got there before but they are falling apart and they never seem to have my size in stock at the store.
So what do I get? The right box, with 2 left boots, neither of which are what I ordered....
Called them up and now I have to take photos of them , sent it per email, and get permission to return it. What a hassle.
They better refund my money.
People not doing their jobs!!☹️

Sonya, that sounds super annoying. There are jokes about having 2 left feet but receiving 2 left boots that were not the right ones at all would have made me angry. I hope they send the right ones (no pun intended) and don't charge for returns bc they did not send the correct product.

Found out its going to cost $5741 to replace the outside condenser unit. That is more than it cost for inside and outside units back in 2010. At least it has a 10 year warranty. The original installer never honored the warranty and we had problems with the outside unit within a year but they still charged every time we had them come out. I hope the inside unit keeps working well. The price includes delivery, tax, and installation. Glad we aren't being charged local sales tax on it bc it would be a LOT higher.

Also need to get stuff on my truck replaced. My friend will do it for free but have to find the right time when he's not busy. Tire place will charge $200. Although, I might see about having the tire place do it since they have a full shop and if anything is done wrong I can go back to them. The owner is a good guy and will stand by the work.

I forgot to mention that OPM still hasn't sent the 1099s & Mom can't login to the site bc they were supposed to send her a password via snail mail about 3 years ago and she has been calling them and only gets an automated message and then they hang up.

Additionally, the insurance premiums went up because my brother got some speeding tickets in her CR-V. Oh, and her medical insurance premiums went up more than the amount of the COLA increase but they decreased their coverage.

We have to go to the SSI office with my dad's dd214s to get them to correct the amount of SSI she gets bc right now they are only crediting 3 years of his military service. He was active for 4 years, in the national guard for a few years, and in the army reserves for 30 years. They aren't including the 4th year of service or any of the other stuff.

Last edited:

Ok update:

it is included under " other income payments" ...so basically anytime you pay anyone $600 for anything you are supposed to report that person to the IRS..wow
I guess all my bills of sales are going to be for $595 from now on ....

Latest posts

Back